• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 70 22.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 212 66.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 9.5%

• Total voters

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't really get the insatisfaction of some here. This amp offers quite some power (200W at 4 Ohm, 120W at 8 Ohm), passes the 16 bit limit of audibility in every measurement and has a ruler flat frequency response in the audio band. It costs $800 with a 5 years warranty and is built in the US. It is even nicely designed for a Schiit product. Come on, what is there to complain?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really get the insatisfaction of some here. This amp offers quite some power (200W at 4 Ohm, 120W at 8 Ohm), passes the 16 bit limit of audibility in every measurement and has a ruler flat frequency response in the audio band. It costs $800 with a 5 years warranty. Is is even nicely designed for a Schiit product. Come on, what is there to complain?
Agree, as far as Class A/B goes, this puts another good option on the table. You have Topping's LA90s with cleaner audio but only 60w. Then you have this, which will probably be transparent for any realistic listening scenario, with more than 2x the power at the same price. I see it as a good addition to a slate of good options, if you are into Class AB.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't really get the insatisfaction of some here. This amp offers quite some power (200W at 4 Ohm, 120W at 8 Ohm), passes the 16 bit limit of audibility in every measurement and has a ruler flat frequency response in the audio band. It costs $800 with a 5 years warranty and is built in the US. It is even nicely designed for a Schiit product. Come on, what is there to complain?
Exactly, and I wonder what the Vidar would do in a blind A/B test. I'm not sure that the differences would be obvious against an AHB2 that costs four times as much.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the testing @amirm, some pics;
Also, thanks for the internal photo. I am thinking even @restorer-john would approve.;)

This is one amplifier (Class AB) which can truly use a trigger input.
Is there an explanation for the 3dB SINAD difference between the two channels?

Ooops, I just saw his post of approval:
I rest my case.
:)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Is there an explanation for the 3dB SINAD difference between the two channels?
It's a good question knowing that Schiit is supposed to test 100% of their amp before sale via APx555, it's part of their commitment... But everyone knows, marketing often goes beyond promises, it's the same for all manufacturers.
We observe the same problem on the Aiyima A08 pro tested by Amir BTW :

1714593358491.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But everyone knows, marketing often goes beyond promises, it's the same for all manufacturers.
Now I know why you posted:
Are you hiring? )))):)
You want to tutor manufacturers how to evaluate/interpret APx555' test results for performance improvements.
Like the Schiit's designers missing the ACPL harmonics and channel imbalances.;)

Trudius

March Audio builds Purifi-based Amps in Australia and offers a 5-year warranty.

From what I can tell, all other Purifi/Hypex builders only offer 2 years.

(Apollon Audio, Audiophonics, boXem Audio, Buckeye Amps, Nord Acoustics, VTV Amplifier)
At this level of distortion I think the main consideration for a user with normal middle-age hearing is the number of watts per dollar. The Vidar2 sells for $4 /W, the March P262 sells for ~$4.64 /W and the Buckeye Amps for $2.52 /W, all at 4 ohms. The price on the Vidar2 is reasonable for a class A/B Amp. that is built and serviced in the USA. I would like to see the THD+N vs frequency plot dependence for the 2-channel Buckeye Amp before deciding on going with class D.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Not wishing to start a fight but I purchased a Buckeye NC252MP stereo hypex amp over 2 years ago, which drives a pair of B&W AM1 outdoor speakers effortlessly at high volumes. It puts out 120 watts into 8 ohms with balanced inputs, auto sensing on / off with 12v trigger, assembled in the USA with a 2 year warranty and works flawlessly.

It was reviewed and recommended by Amir who classed it as "excellent". It has much better performance characteristics, and at US$575, is nearly a third of the price of the Schiit vidar in stereo mode.

The manufacturer, Dylan, has been open and transparent with forum members and has willingly adopted Amir's suggestions and as a consequence continually upgrades his product range. There are more expensive and higher performing Purifi models available if needed.

What am I missing - to me it's a no brainer.

Trudius

Not wishing to start a fight but I purchased a Buckeye NC252MP stereo hypex amp over 2 years ago, which drives a pair of B&W AM1 outdoor speakers effortlessly at high volumes. It puts out 120 watts into 8 ohms with balanced inputs, auto sensing on / off with 12v trigger, assembled in the USA with a 2 year warranty and works flawlessly.

It was reviewed and recommended by Amir who classed it as "excellent". It has much better performance characteristics, and at US$575, is nearly a third of the price of the Schiit vidar in stereo mode.

The manufacturer, Dylan, has been open and transparent with forum members and has willingly adopted Amir's suggestions and as a consequence continually upgrades his product range. There are more expensive and higher performing Purifi models available if needed.

What am I missing - to me it's a no brainer.
Maybe that most of the high-performing class D modules have only been around for ~5 years?

ta240

Major Contributor
As noted in a prior post there are vast differences to the usage of statement "assembled in the USA" and Schiit falls just short of "made in the USA". Likely because there is just too much paperwork and risk with claiming made in the USA if one of your suppliers changes where they get something without notifying you. No dig towards Dylan, I'm certain his amps are very good.

This one is listed as $799 for stereo. The math seems flawed.
And until we have solid blind AB testing to show there is an audible difference quoting better performance proves nothing more than saying a silver interconnect has less resistance to a copper and thus performs better.

At this level of distortion I think the main consideration for a user with normal middle-age hearing is the number of watts per dollar.
I guess for those that have blown out their hearing then more watts is better. For a huge portion of the population they will likely never use more than a few dozen. It seems to always elude people on here that most listeners aren't into feeling the music actually impact their body.
My 8 watt tube amp actually got louder than I'd ever want, it was just that at full output the distortion climbed to a point where it was unpleasant. My 20 Watt First Watt Clone would drive me out of the room at full volume (and yet still sound clean) and my 100 Watt Rod Elliott P101 can play for 16 hours and never even feel warm enough to show it is on.

Do I think this amp is for everyone? No. But I also don't get the "why does this even exist?" attitude; when it clearly fills wants and needs that some users have.

Trudius

I noticed with several of the Schiit amps that whenever they are tested by ASR they tend to show higher harmonic intensities on the dashboard than what Schiit's own testing would show. However, the THD+N vs power plots on ASR tend to show better performance than Schiit's measurements.

Like others, I would have been very interested in @amirm testing this amp as a monoblock, which according to their measurements has quite a bit of performance improvements over stereo mode.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Maybe that most of the high-performing class D modules have only been around for ~5 years?
Meaning? That's along time in electronics when you take into consideration the speed at which products are improving.

If the Buckeye only lasted say 5 years that's only $105 per annum for excellent amplification.

We really do need to put this all in perspective when you consider the outrageous prices of amplifiers in magazines such as Stereophile and Absolute Sound.

Congratulations to both Buckeye and Shiit for providing high performing gear, that is well made at sensible prices, so we can enjoy our music as intended without feeling ripped off.

Ajax

Forum Donor
This one is listed as $799 for stereo. The math seems flawed.
And until we have solid blind AB testing to show there is an audible difference quoting better performance proves nothing more than saying a silver interconnect has less resistance to a copper and thus performs better.
Apologies, my bad. I just saw the word "mono" in the first sentence. Anyway I will stick with Buckeye, have nothing but good things to say about Dylan's amps and his attitude. Each to their own.

Trudius

Meaning? That's along time in electronics when you take into consideration the speed at which products are improving.

If the Buckeye only lasted say 5 years that's only $105 per annum for excellent amplification.

We really do need to put this all in perspective when you consider the outrageous prices of amplifiers in magazines such as Stereophile and Absolute Sound.

Congratulations to both Buckeye and Shiit for providing high performing gear, that is well made at sensible prices, so we can enjoy our music as intended without feeling ripped off.
My guess is that it depends on the level of commitment in terms of dollars that an audiophile is willing to make. A highly committed one would not mind a 2 year warranty for a ~$1K amplifier. The $500 per annum is justified in a world where the technology continues to improve, it gives you an excuse to upgrade. But if one is looking for a long term commitment (>5 years) with an established technology (class A/B, >30 years), then the Schiit option might seem more appealing. Regardless, class D is undergoing a revolution that is slowly making it into the mainstream amp. market (NAD C268 and C298 for example).

Sokel

Master Contributor
Apologies, my bad. I just saw the word "mono" in the first sentence. Anyway I will stick with Buckeye, have nothing but good things to say about Dylan's amps and his attitude. Each to their own.
If that's your amp...

Buckeye NC252MP Hypex Class D stereo amplifier power 4 ohm vs frequency measurement.png

I would certainly include Buckeye's upgrade with caps bank to help down low.I don't know the cost but it seems worthwhile judging by the measurements.

Edit:Scrap that,it's only doable with the ones with the separate 1K PSU,I don't know what I was thinking :facepalm:

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is that it depends on the level of commitment in terms of dollars that an audiophile is willing to make. A highly committed one would not mind a 2 year warranty for a ~$1K amplifier. The $500 per annum is justified in a world where the technology continues to improve, it gives you an excuse to upgrade. But if one is looking for a long term commitment (>5 years) with an established technology (class A/B, >30 years), then the Schiit option might seem more appealing. Regardless, class D is undergoing a revolution that is slowly making it into the mainstream amp. market (NAD C268 and C298 for example).
I am not sure where the seemingly established sentiment of "Class D is more short lived" comes from. I disagree with it - many things in far more critical apps have switched to electronic switches vs linear gain. I don't believe for a second longevity is a Class D weakness, but as always -and that definitely includes any other Class- it comes down to the quality of the design.

Kevinfc

I guess my 25 year old Bryston B60 has similar or better specs (rated "not terrible").
Made in Canada. You surely pay for that, but that is buying philosophy and does not belong to price/performance discussions.
B60 is still running at a friend of mine who is super happy with it.
I guess this little amp will not give up soon - despite running super hot if you pushed it (had speakers with 2 Ohm...).

Also had DC-offset transformer hum in my parent's house back then.
Bryston exchanged the transformers for free to medical grade ones, including new measurements and improved overall performance.
Hum was gone.

I guess you get what you pay for. Back then it was very expensive, especially W/$.
If you look at cost over lifetime it's "nothing", nevertheless.
The "issue" today is that people don't care if something is made to last 25+ years, especially in electronics. How boring.
I have the exact same amp, bought exactly when yours was, and it’s now in storage while I use a $70 Aiyima amp. Though I love and admire Bryston’s quality, the value is clearly in favor of Class D these days. If it only lasts a year and a few months, I’ll be ahead on the Aiyima A07.

leebergtally

Forum Donor
I have one since July 2023 and it has performed well and sounds good to me. I can't hear any transformer noise and I hear no noise out of the speakers. I'm driving a pair of Polk SDA SRS 2.3 at a nominal 6 ohms and Infinity Kappa 7.1 also 6 ohms and haven't had any issues at high volume levels. I admit the start delay is a little annoying. That makes four products from Schiit I've purchased over the last three years and they perform well.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.jpeg
    IMG_3029.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom