• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 209 67.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 29 9.3%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not most people here based on posts I have read. In that regard, the Topping LA90D is a class A/B amp that is the same price as the Vidar 2, but outperforms it by 32 dB in SINAD measurement, though it does have quite a bit less power.
The vast difference between the Topping and this one here,apart from power,is this:

Gain Schiit.PNG
Schiit Vidar

Gain LA90.PNG

Topping LA90

It comes near the point not to be comparable really.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That lifetime has been the same for incandescent bulbs until recently when such bulbs are being replaced by LEDs.

And now the LEDs proudly state lifetimes that they never achieve. The internal switching supplies are deliberately designed to overheat and fail prematurely. I write the date I install LED globes on the base and rarely do they achieve more than 2-4 years. All of the autopsies performed by me show the LEDs themselves don't fail, the SMPS supplies in the caps die (caps mostly).

Nothing has changed, the bulb makers are at it again.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
And now the LEDs proudly state lifetimes that they never achieve. The internal switching supplies are deliberately designed to overheat and fail prematurely. I write the date I install LED globes on the base and rarely do they achieve more than 2-4 years. All of the autopsies performed by me show the LEDs themselves don't fail, the SMPS supplies in the caps die (caps mostly).

Lower energy use though, at least...there's that...

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
From their site:
"some people have played games with what "Assembled in USA" means. When we say it, it means that our chassis guys are right over the hill in the San Fernando Valley, our transformers are made here in California, our boards come from the east coast (of the USA), and we design, assemble, and test everything here in Valencia, California."
Except they're now in Texas.
I have the exact same amp, bought exactly when yours was, and it’s now in storage while I use a $70 Aiyima amp. Though I love and admire Bryston’s quality, the value is clearly in favor of Class D these days. If it only lasts a year and a few months, I’ll be ahead on the Aiyima A07.

The A07 design is at least four years old and still sells for under $50USD shipped. I own four, two of which have been powered-up 24/7 for most of those four years with no issues whatsoever. Their SINAD and available power are more than adequate for my particular use case, so it hasn't been difficult to resist the latest and greatest Class D stuff out of Shenzhen. That said, I am skeptical of big sealed power bricks in the 400-500 watt range and will stick with my several bargain-priced industrial SMPS units, all of which have been perfectly reliable for years even with their cooling fans removed. Reparability is a non-issue for gear at sub-$100USD price points IMO due to the high cost of paying adequately skilled technicians, at least here in the U.S. -- it simply makes more sense to replace rather than repair.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree few achieve their lifetimes as claimed. OTOH, I have several more than 4 years old in my most used locations. They have probably been on no less than 12,000 hours. Quite possibly more like 15,000 hrs. I know I purchased them 6 years ago. They had a 5 year warranty and it ran out a little over a year ago. I have put some dusk to daylight LEDs on the exterior of my sister's house. In a couple months they'll be 4 years old so 15,000 hours. Zero failures out of 8. I have had some in other areas fail in what were only 2000 or 3000 hrs. Most of these suffered from insufficient cooling in where they were located. Even then, they've paid for themselves in saved electricity vs incandescents.

I also have seen incandescents oddly last a long time. My father had an old 200 watt bulb in his garage for 15 years ( I don't have an estimate for how many hours, but it was more than 1000 for sure). Moved it to a new garage when he moved. 26 years later it had dimmed a bunch, but we left it when he sold that house still working.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
ncore came out 12 years ago.

Even the now-ubiquitous TI TPA3255 Class D output IC has been around for about eight years -- I for one have never heard of a single "chip amp" failure that can be traced to some reliability issue with that IC.

olieb

I also have seen incandescents oddly last a long time. My father had an old 200 watt bulb in his garage for 15 years ( I don't have an estimate for how many hours, but it was more than 1000 for sure). Moved it to a new garage when he moved. 26 years later it had dimmed a bunch, but we left it when he sold that house still working.
The article conveniently did not mention the Phoebus cartel in the explanation for the long lasting bulbs (which originated before or outside the cartel)
Bulbs from China or Eastern European countries used to last much longer than 1000h.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The article conveniently did not mention the Phoebus cartel in the explanation for the long lasting bulbs (which originated before or outside the cartel)
Bulbs from China or Eastern European countries used to last much longer than 1000h.
Actually it linked to the same link you provided in the bottom section.

I think the same idea is behind cell phones with non-replaceable or not easily replaced batteries. Now most phones are perfectly functional when the battery gives out, but the cost of replacement makes it economically a bad decision.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Actually it linked to the same link you provided in the bottom section.

I think the same idea is behind cell phones with non-replaceable or not easily replaced batteries. Now most phones are perfectly functional when the battery gives out, but the cost of replacement makes it economically a bad decision.
Now phone makers have switched to "insufficient space" and "lagging till inoperatable levels"

The only phone I had that needed battery change was a 2015 model (with replaced power button) that was running custom ROM but I had to let go due to bank app requirements

My pleasure. I don't have any other Schiit products to test currently.
Amir, kinda piggy backing on what products you have in the pipeline. Could we get a list of the gear you have waiting to be reviewed/measured? It would be great way to build some excitement. Mind you, not wanting to know when just what.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could we get a list of the gear you have waiting to be reviewed/measured?
Sorry, no. It will only cause people to keep asking me about them, adding to a stressful process of working the backlog.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now phone makers have switched to "insufficient space" and "lagging till inoperatable levels"

The only phone I had that needed battery change was a 2015 model (with replaced power button) that was running custom ROM but I had to let go due to bank app requirements
I've really not had those problems like ever. I do buy maybe a step below or lower end of flagship models. I keep them till something goes wrong. I was bummed because my last one only lasted me 3.5 years which is the shortest I've ever owned a cell phone. In times past I purchased them 2nd hand, but my last couple have been new. In my case all the smartphones have been Android except for an early Nokia Neuron which I called the Nokia Moron as it was only half smart.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
A better comparison would be the Soncoz SGP1, which was measured here last year. It is also class AB, has almost the same power. It measures better, but only in the already inaudible range, cost $1100 without the 5 years warranty, yet has nice VU-meters.

I used the Benchmark AHB2 as an example, because they have more or less the same power with and without bridge. The Soncoz SGP1 is not bridgeable as far as I know, and it's this use that interests me.

Bob101

It will outlast any Fosi, Hypex or Purifi product and its associated SMPS you can dream up. It will most likely still be working and repairable 40+ years from now. When all your Fosi/Hypex gear is 100ft underground, poisoning the water table with heavy metals, this funny old Schiit amplifier will still be pumping out tunes, most likely running on solar power, inverters and batteries.
What makes you state that Hypex or Purifi products won't last, basically implying they are unreliable? Any sources or data to back that up? ANY? Please state them. I'm genuinely curious.
Besides my beloved AB amps, I now use both Hypex and Purifi amps because of their clean and efficient power, and yes: reliability. Am I that wrong?
You won't be recapping your Purifi or Hypex modules in 30 years, because you will just not have to:)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What makes you state that Hypex or Purifi products won't last, basically implying they are unreliable? Any sources or data to back that up? ANY? Please state them. I'm genuinely curious.
Besides my beloved AB amps, I now use both Hypex and Purifi amps because of their clean and efficient power, and yes: reliability. Am I that wrong?

We've been over this many times in the past with plenty of members weighing into various threads. No need to dredge it all up again- use the forum search.

Top Bottom