• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 209 67.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 29 9.3%

• Total voters

mns3dhm

I've monitored the back and forth between Daniboun and Restorer John with some interest as both these individuals are respected here and know a lot more about the subject than I do. The last amplifier I purchased was class AB, but I did consider class D amps in the same price range. The class D amps had their attractions - they tend to be smaller, lighter, cooler running, and, in some instances, have more complete connection options. The one thing that made me choose a class AB was the warranty; mine came with a 5 year warranty from a company known for reliability and honoring service commitments. In comparison, class D amps, even expensive ones like NAD's M33 integrated, typically have a warranty of 3 years or less. Why is that? You would think manufacturers of high-end class D amps would want to minimize customers concerns about adopting relatively new technology.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've monitored the back and forth between Daniboun and Restorer John with some interest as both these individuals are respected here and know a lot more about the subject than I do. The last amplifier I purchased was class AB, but I did consider class D amps in the same price range. The class D amps had their attractions - they tend to be smaller, lighter, cooler running, and, in some instances, have more complete connection options. The one thing that made me choose a class AB was the warranty; mine came with a 5 year warranty from a company known for reliability and honoring service commitments. In comparison, class D amps, even expensive ones like NAD's M33 integrated, typically have a warranty of 3 years or less. Why is that? You would think manufacturers of high-end class D amps would want to minimize customers concerns about adopting relatively new technology.
I'd not look too deeply into it really....

Many/most of the liked (here) Class D amps appear to be based on the same internals and cased up to suit, some of them beautifully done inside and out in fairness and with utmost respect...

Jason according to that lengthy blog (Schiit Happened), doesn't like doing things the easy way it seems. Buying in some of the usual amp boards would have been the easy way I suspect...

AaronJ

Extended warranties are NEVER good for the customer if they must also pay for them, and I expect that Schiit's pricing model includes the liability cost of honoring a lengthy warranty. I'd rather see them just reduce the cost by 100 bucks with a 1 year warranty and offer the option to purchase an extended warranty.

AaronJ

I'd not look too deeply into it really....

Many/most of the liked (here) Class D amps appear to be based on the same internals and cased up to suit, some of them beautifully done inside and out in fairness and with utmost respect...

Jason according to that lengthy blog (Schiit Happened), doesn't like doing things the easy way it seems. Buying in some of the usual amp boards would have been the easy way I suspect...
Jason's whole crazy uncle schtick is the reason people get heavily invested in the Schiit ecosystem.

Trudius

At the risk of repeating myself, ASR is a barometer of performance and if Amir takes time to test it is precisely because commas count here. If you are convinced otherwise then it is better to trust the dythirambic poetry of audiophile sites like Stereophile or others which argue without evidence
Stereophile does conduct testing, although with different methodologies.

Spitfire93

After reading this thread, I am really curious to listen to those new class D amplifier. All class D amps that I experienced until now sound sterile and unpleasant. For the moment I am still loyal to class A/B.

Nyarlathotep

@amirm - same question as last time. 1 Vidar 2, or 2 Outlaw Audio 2220s?
I went through this thought exercise last year, I ended up picking up a pair of 2220's, but my reasons were mostly practical and less related performance metrics. My apartment building's electrical has known ground issues. Using XLR from my preamp to the 2220s was preferable versus using SE RCA with a single Vidar 2. A consideration for some, the 2 x 2220s has a larger physical foot print than a single Vidar 2

Trudius

ncore came out 12 years ago.
Thanks, I stand corrected. But as far as I know the first NCore Amplifier was the Audio Alchemy DPA-1M monoblock from Hypex Electronics back in 2016. Class A/B is far more established, going back ~50 years.

daniboun

Major Contributor
After reading this thread, I am really curious to listen to those new class D amplifier. All class D amps that I experienced until now sound sterile and unpleasant. For the moment I am still loyal to class A/B.

A class AB amp with a 100db Sinad sounds the same as a class D amp with a 100db Sinad.
Good Sinad = transparency

Lambda

Major Contributor
Mains noise was variable depending on how I grounded it.
I didn't try to pus the amp with my reactive load or testing it in mono. I trust their specs for the latter.
I think it would be interesting to see how it performed in in mono with a"balance" input there should be less mains noise..

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I stand corrected. But as far as I know the first NCore Amplifier was the Audio Alchemy DPA-1M monoblock from Hypex Electronics back in 2016. Class A/B is far more established, going back ~50 years.

Class AB has been around much longer than 50 years. Should we wait 50 years before we trust class D or Hypex? A rhetorical question needing no answer.

NoxPlague

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Schiit Vidar 2 stereo/mono class AB amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $799.
View attachment 367000
Nice to see Schiit (finally) put a stand-by switch in the front. They usually have only a power button in the back.

Being a class AB amplifier with a linear power supply, the case is quite heavy and front loaded. The sharp fins make it hard to transport but that is a one time hassle.

Overall design manages to look unique and yet attractive.

There is a rather long delay before the unit goes form standby to on. Here is the back panel:
View attachment 367014

It is a shame we don't have trigger input. Or balanced input for stereo (the one there is for bridged mode).

If you are not familiar with the measurements you are about to see, please watch this tutorial:

Schiit Vidar 2 Amplifier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
View attachment 367001

Mains noise was variable depending on how I grounded it. You may be able to do a bit better (or worse) than I did. 2nd harmonic distortion dominates and that is what sets SINAD to 88 dB which is good bit above what Vidar did (right highlight):
View attachment 367002

View attachment 367003

Noise performance is significantly improved over the original Vidar:
View attachment 367004

Frequency response is excellent as we would expect:
View attachment 367005

Channel separation is better than average:
View attachment 367006

Multitone just clears the hurdle for 16-bit content:
View attachment 367007

Distortion hardly increases at higher frequencies which means 19+20 KHz test also does well:
View attachment 367008

Company specs are easily met for power:

View attachment 367009
View attachment 367010
View attachment 367011

Max power was achieved at 1.7 volts so I ran my frequency vs power sweeps at that. While many amplifiers go into protection at high frequencies, the Vidar 2 blew its AC fuse. I replaced it with the spare that it came with and set the limit lower as to avoid clipping:
View attachment 367012

Given this, I didn't try to pus the amp with my reactive load or testing it in mono. I trust their specs for the latter.

Conclusions
Nice to see Schiit improving on both usability and performance of the Vidar across the board. Company does a good job of staying competitive despite manufacturing products in US and giving 5 year warranty. I know many still find comfort in class AB designs and here you have a good example of it.

I am going to recommend the Schiit Vidar 2 amplifier.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Thank you for the review.

I own both a Vidar 2 and Aegir (Not Aegir 2). Unless you know that your speakers need the extra power supplied by the Vidar 2, I would recommend people consider the Aegir 2 (Aegir no longer in production). I know people will argue that I cannot possibly hear any difference, but I love the sound from the Aegir in bridged (mono) mode. In my listening I would say that bass is cleaner with the Aegir, but less (I assume due to less power). The Vidar 2 is warm to the touch, but not alarmingly so. The Aegir generates considerably more heat, and I was uncomfortable having so much heat in my cabinet and moved the units outside & behind my cabinet. If you live somewhere hot, want your audio components inside a poorly ventilated cabinet, or you plan to use it in a smaller room, I'd recommend the Vidar 2 over the Aegir.

BTW I get around the power switching with a Furman Elite 15. My pre-amp has switching trigger out that triggers the Furman that turns on both Aegirs. So with my remote I turn on the pre-amp and both Aegir power up in ~10 seconds.

If/When I upgrade to more demanding speakers, I think I'd consider the Benchmark AHB2, Schiit Tyr (x2), or the NAD M23.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
There is also a Vidar Schiit Europe shipping from Netherlands.
if you're thinking of Sonority or whatever they're officialy called, i ain't going anywhere near them not just anytime soon, but ever again

wwenze

Major Contributor
Oh I remember another one... Klipsch Promedia... The later versions... class AB amp using SMPS... most common failing point? Switching transistor in the SMPS

My Fibre Optic Network Terminal is on its third power brick too... as is my TV computer...

CPUs have 1 year to 3 year warranty depending on "tray" or "box" but they are usually the last one to die in a running computer, except for overvoltage cases.

I don't think the members here are talking about early-life failure when they are talking about longevity. Even tier-3 capacitors can last for a few years, it's the future that is suspect, well beyond the warranty period.

The reasons for warranty duration extend way beyond just the reliability of certain specific component, and includes support (and support cost/budget) and product lifecycle. If you look at the companies you mentioned, you would find that the companies warranty durations, tho different between companies, are the same within the company regardless of class D or class AB.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These look good and I like the Schiit stack I have, but I don't see any reason to get these over a Fosi V3 or ZA3. Maybe for extra heating in the winter, but summer is coming fast and the last thing I want is extra heat.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please enlighten us, amplifiers and sound, how exactly is this connection? I prefer to listen to music and not to amplifiers..

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Class AB has been around much longer than 50 years. Should we wait 50 years before we trust class D or Hypex? A rhetorical question needing no answer.
B&O first released their ClassD in the Beolab1 circa 1997, and released their first ICE modules in 2001 as the A series the ICEpower ASP series came out in 2003...

So we do have a track record for modules of well over 20 years... and heading towards 30 years now.

Sony had a ClassD amp out in 1978... (TA-N88)

It didn't hit the audio mainstream until the Tripath chips hit the market in 1996...

So in audio, ClassD is primarily of this millenium/century ... but we are a quarter of the way through this century now!

Top Bottom