• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 vs. M106.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A MiniDSP 2sx4HD is pretty cheap, especially if one already has an amplifier, does what an AVR does for Subs and is in roughly the same SINAD category. The hard part is most people don't realize they need an AVR or MiniDSP. I have LS50's, 2 Rythmik subs and a MiniDSP 2x4. The SQ is stunning, but it took me a few years to get it right. Most of that time was spent learning what to do.
There are enough subs which have a complete crossover built in. Most of them are from pro brands and hence more expensive but there are also cheap ones like the JBL LSR310.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are enough subs which have a complete crossover built in. Most of them are from pro brands and hence more expensive but there are also cheap ones like the JBL LSR310.
That doesn't help with delay. I used to use the DSP built into my Crown 1502 XLS for a high pass. Harrison labs sells passive high pass filters. There are a lot of different ways to get to the same place.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A Neumann KH750 DSP with MA1 would do it. But you pay for it.
That's right, there are many ways to integrate a sub. However, my point is that it is not all that easy.

AVKS

Anechoic measurements from Canada's NRC for the Sierra and M106:
Reviews on Soundstage are also on their website.
That's not the Sierra model being discussed, though it is still sold. The Sierra LX is the model suggested and some measurements were posted on the last page, with the full Klippel range available on the Ascend website.

Looks like the LX also has the third highest tonality preference score w/out sub of speakers classified as passive bookshelves on spinorama.org.

Elkerton

That's not the Sierra model being discussed, though it is still sold. The Sierra LX is the model suggested and some measurements were posted on the last page, with the full Klippel range available on the Ascend website.

Looks like the LX also has the third highest tonality preference score w/out sub of speakers classified as passive bookshelves on spinorama.org.

Thanks for the correction.

The M105s with a sub rank higher than most, even many active monitors. Within the listening window, even better:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I'm no professional reviewer, but I listened to a pair of Sierra LX at Ascend, and was very pleased. I listen to EQ'd Kali IN-8V2 with a pair of subs on a daily basis, as point of reference. If I weren't trying to setup a multi-channel system, I'd have these on my short list. Seems to check off all the boxes in terms of pleasing measurements and pleasing sound (for me).

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A little bit of a tangential side topic, but what about the M16 vs M105 OR M106?
It's probably a slightly better value when on sale , especially if your wallet is pretty thin presently....

AVKS

So going from M16 to either of those is probably not worth the upgrade? Diminishing returns?

The M16 is already diminishing returns vs other sprakers, let alone the next step up. They are a little better but not night and day by any means IMO.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The M16 is already diminishing returns vs other sprakers, let alone the next step up. They are a little better but not night and day by any means IMO.
Unfortunately that's true. Unfortunate in a way that when you no longer have the luxury of upgrading the source equipment, then the only things that are left are the speakers and the room.

Of course this is somewhat subjective in that if you are kind of person that can really, really appreciate small improvements then it can in a way be night and day difference. Recommendation is to find out first if one happens to be that kind of person before spending the money. ;)

tw 2022

So going from M16 to either of those is probably not worth the upgrade? Diminishing returns?
it depends on your wants ... i think you'll be able to "a/b" differences... it won't be crazy obvious imo....

AVKS

Unfortunately that's true. Unfortunate in a way that when you no longer have the luxury of upgrading the source equipment, then the only things that are left are the speakers and the room.

Of course this is somewhat subjective in that if you are kind of person that can really, really appreciate small improvements then it can in a way be night and day difference. Recommendation is to find out first if one happens to be that kind of person before spending the money. ;)

All fair points. I know my Sierra LXs are absolutely a clear step or three up vs the prior M16s, but it is not linear for the money spent by any means.

tw 2022

All fair points. I know my Sierra LXs are absolutely a clear step or three up vs the prior M16s, but it is not linear for the money spent by any means.
i'd buy sierra lx's over any of the revels at the lower levels.. the sierra 1 v2 as well (better value vs m106)....

Top Bottom