• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 vs. M106.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Count me on team “get a sub and a miniDSP” and I have F206. And a sub. And a minDSP.

If you think the point of a sub is to dial in 10 dB of bass boost like a teen boosting their car stereo, then I guess you Don’t know what you don’t know.

Getting perfectly flat frequency response down to 30 hz does amazing things to make music more engaging. Even the F206 can’t do that alone.

Last edited:

tw 2022

Count me on team “get a sb and a mimiDSP” and I have F206. And a sub. And a minDSP.

If you think the point of a sub is to dial in 10 dB of bass boost like a teen boosting their car stereo, then I guess you Don’t know what you don’t know.

Getting perfectly flat frequency response 30 hz does amazing things to make music more engaging. Even the F206 can’t do that alone.
thanks for elaborating on this, those were / are my thoughts as well.. i have very entry level emotiva b1's and an svs pb1000 pro sub (the b1's were modded by Dennis Murphy) .. the clarity is pretty amazing and the sub was the key ,*clean* bass response fixes a lot of issues.. i'd love to hear how m105's or philharmonic ceramic mini's or ascend sierra 1's might sound in this set up ...towers would be great , but it'd be a large investment in comparison...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As one example:

Klippel outputs are all available on the product page of Ascend's site if one is so inclined.
I was hoping for something from a "professional" reviewer because they get to listen to a lot of different gear.

tw 2022

I was hoping for something from a "professional" reviewer because they get to listen to a lot of different gear.
i'd suspect Erin might get a hold on something at some time soon... i'm guessing maybe even Amir as well.. it was his review that spurred Dave into the klippel machine...Edit: there are some good comparative threads at avs in the form of sierra xxx vs whatever (generally bmr's or revel or kef r3's)

AVKS

That's a funny comment to see on this site In all seriousness though there isn't much out there on these in that regard, but Ascend has been making the Sierra line for a long time and reception has been positive. Them combining that philosophy with the measurement insights seems like a recipe for excellent performance.

Only way to know for sure though is to pick a pair up in one's own room. I may end up doing that myself as well at some point.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i'd suspect Erin might get a hold on something at some time soon... i'm guessing maybe even Amir as well.. it was his review that spurred Dave into the klippel machine...Edit: there are some good comparative threads at avs in the form of sierra xxx vs whatever (generally bmr's or revel or kef r3's)
The original R3 is somewhat of an outlier. Although it has a very high preference score our host did not find it satisfying. It never caught on like the LS50.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a funny comment to see on this site In all seriousness though there isn't much out there on these in that regard, but Ascend has been making the Sierra line for a long time and reception has been positive. Them combining that philosophy with the measurement insights seems like a recipe for excellent performance.

Only way to know for sure though is to pick a pair up in one's own room. I may end up doing that myself as well at some point.
I have seen a few unfavorable posts about the Sierra LX. It's not a funny comment because that seems to be the one piece of information which is lacking. By the way, I consider Erin and our host to be professional reviewers. They all have different levels of credibility.

tw 2022

The original R3 is somewhat of an outlier. Although it has a very high preference score our host did not find it satisfying. It never caught on like the LS50.
i heard it and the bmr monitor v2 on the same day at the speaker shoot out here in Az in aug '22.. the bmr's were better imo, but i could live with the r3's and some eq....the other entrants that had similar clarity to either of those also had tilted up treble and a bit less midrange clarity..

AVKS

I have seen a few unfavorable posts about the Sierra LX. It's not a funny comment because that seems to be the one piece of information which is lacking. By the way, I consider Erin and our host to be professional reviewers. They all have different levels of credibility.
It was a funny comment since you put 'professional' in quotes, to me implying a degree of sarcasm. With your intent clarified now, I don't disagree with your taste in reviewers or calling them professional.

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing unfavorable comments? Seems relevant to the topic at hand since that was what I was thinking as a recommendation to OP.

JAJDACT

The worst complaint I have seen is that they sound recessed in the upper mid range and require a lot of power. I owned them for awhile,and put them head to head against KEF R3's,Philharmonic BMR's and CSS Criton 1TDX's l,they won out for me. I will agree that they sound a little lean in the upper mids but they are an excellent speaker in my unprofessional opinion.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a funny comment since you put 'professional' in quotes, to me implying a degree of sarcasm. With your intent clarified now, I don't disagree with your taste in reviewers or calling them professional.

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing unfavorable comments? Seems relevant to the topic at hand since that was what I was thinking as a recommendation to OP.
I put it in quotes because some of these reviewers are trying to make money, but don't work to professional standards.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i heard it and the bmr monitor v2 on the same day at the speaker shoot out here in Az in aug '22.. the bmr's were better imo, but i could live with the r3's and some eq....the other entrants that had similar clarity to either of those also had tilted up treble and a bit less midrange clarity..
The BMR's get a lot of love.

AVKS

True, in general. However, the entire Sierra line has used a wide variety of different drivers so comparing them by name only is not necessarily helpful.

I don't think ASR primarily deals in "seems like" do they?
Regarding your first point, they appear to have a consistent design philosophy, like Revel, JBL, or any other number of brands. Doesn't mean all of their products are equivalent, that drivers don't perform differently over time, etc. The Revel Performa series hasn't used the same drivers over the decades and model-specific responses have varied to some degree and yet we still have an idea what to expect from them all, yes?

Regarding the second point, that would be why I had the follow up sentence that you left off - "Only way to know for sure though is to pick a pair up in one's own room. I may end up doing that myself as well at some point."

AVKS

Have they switched between ribbon and dome tweeters?
Some Sierra models have ribbons and some domes, as I believe they've been doing for a while now. OP's M105s are dome and achieve wide dispersion with a pretty neutral response, similar to the LX, which is a reason it was my suggestion for someone looking for more bass.

AVKS

That idiom applies across the board. However, sometimes that isn't possible. If it were, there'd be much less reason for ASR.

Since the OP seems interested in staying within the Revel line, I'd be more concerned with the LX having too much bass when placed in room. However, the vendor is including port blockers to assist in taming that where necessary.
No one is questioning why reviews exist, and I'm referring to the ASR-inspired measurements performed by Ascend as a sign that the LX speakers might be acceptable. That seems to be an ASR objective, so am I misisng something?

Regarding Revel, they asked about the M106 but there was no indication that only Revel is acceptable. Again, since the LX shares many of the key characteristics of those Revels but goes deeper in bass, which they indicated was perhaps a primary objective, it seemed a reasonable suggestion. @RB Dennis 57, if your intent was only to consider Revels then my apologies for cluttering the thread.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I think you might be surprised how many of us quietly own and love the OG R3.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You may have missed this part in Amir's review:
EDIT: later testing showed that the room mode at about 105 Hz was impacting the tonality of the speaker. Once I filtered that, the sound was very good. I have since made this part of the protocol.

AVKS

Ah, except this indication: Revel M105 vs. M106

Only that it will take substantial (amp) power to get the full benefit of the inefficient LX woofers. There's no free lunch.
Way to move the goalposts there from only Revel to only the 105/106 in the title. With that said feel free to similarly chide the poster(s) that suggested an F208/F206 or a subwoofer as those aren't in the title either.

Regarding power, he already indicated that it's not an issue. However, since you mentioned it both the Sierra LX and M106 are spec'd at 87 db sensitive a 1m w/ 8 ohm nominal impedance, and the Sierra's impedance actually doesn't drop below 5 ohms while the M106 does, and at 100 Hz at that.

Until OP states otherwise, the suggestion still seems relevant and in the spirit of ASR.