• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rel T-Zero

morpheusX

And why would you think that? :)
According to "audiophiles", sealed is good, ported is bad ;)

And the XLS300 has a Passive Radiator, which is more or less a ported alignment :)
More info on Ported VS PR here.

- The XLS300 has a 12" vs dual 10" (14.1" area) on the Double Gen
- The XLS300 has a slight more powerful amp
- Due to the PR, the XLS300 will reach deeper around port tuning.

Theoretically, the Double Gen should be best for music, due to the higher cone area, and a sealed alignment, it should allow for a higher crossover point (important if your mains are small).

Both are good choices for the price, and way cheaper their REL counterparts.

Ironically, IIRC, in the beginning, REL subs were manufactured by BK ;)

ta240

Major Contributor
You can get an RSL Speedwoofer 10 for $450 shipped...which is not much larger and dramatically superior in performance. Or just spend a little more and get a Rythmik L12 for $630 shipped, which is also compact and legitimately extends to 20 Hz.
The RSL is much bigger (0.5cf to 2.1cf) and isn't near the same class in finish. I'm not saying the REL is better but if size and finish are more important than output, then no matter how great it is, the RSL isn't a competitor.
Is it a good option for the audio obsessed that like it loud and deep? No.
Is it okay for many 'normal' listeners? Probably.
People here tend to forget that for most people audio isn't a hobby, it is something they turn on and go about their day.

rynberg

Forum Donor
The RSL is much bigger (0.5cf to 2.1cf) and isn't near the same class in finish. I'm not saying the REL is better but if size and finish are more important than output, then no matter how great it is, the RSL isn't a competitor.
Is it a good option for the audio obsessed that like it loud and deep? No.
Is it okay for many 'normal' listeners? Probably.
People here tend to forget that for most people audio isn't a hobby, it is something they turn on and go about their day.
Normal people spend $1,500 on a tiny subwoofer? Can't agree with you there.

I don't think volume is really the way to compare size, it's footprint. Who cares if something is 12 inches high or 9? Also, this REL looks cheap to me, but that's just my opinion.

ta240

Major Contributor
Normal people spend $1,500 on a tiny subwoofer? Can't agree with you there.

I don't think volume is really the way to compare size, it's footprint. Who cares if something is 12 inches high or 9? Also, this REL looks cheap to me, but that's just my opinion.
The REL is $450, which puts it right in the normal person budget.

Top Bottom