• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for a first AVR setup with a big focus on stereo music

benjaryu

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and working on setting up my audio system.

I'm aiming for an AVR that does relatively well in analog stereo performance for music (turntable).
My priority is superior analog sound quality for my turntable over my TV.
That being said I still need a basic home cinema setup.

In my living room, space is limited to smaller speakers. Currently, I have two Elipson Planet M speakers for the left and right channels, and I plan to add two more for the rear. For the subwoofer, I'm using a Cambridge Audio Minx X201.

Choosing a center speaker is tricky due to my TV's fixed position. I need a center speaker that is no taller than 7cm. I'm considering a soundbar with an auxiliary input and forward-facing speakers to avoid sound distortion. The JBL Cinema SB510 and Hisense HS2100 are on my shortlist.

For the AVR, my budget is around $1,500, but I'm willing to go up to $2,000 if it significantly enhances performance.
eArc compatibility is important for my setup. Wifi would be a nice to have.

My audio usage breakdown is roughly 40% vinyl, 30% gaming (PS5/Xbox), 20% movies, and 10% streaming music from my phone.

Do you have any AVR suggestions?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and working on setting up my audio system.

I'm aiming for an AVR that does relatively well in analog stereo performance for music (turntable).
My priority is superior analog sound quality for my turntable over my TV.
That being said I still need a basic home cinema setup.

In my living room, space is limited to smaller speakers. Currently, I have two Elipson Planet M speakers for the left and right channels, and I plan to add two more for the rear. For the subwoofer, I'm using a Cambridge Audio Minx X201.

Choosing a center speaker is tricky due to my TV's fixed position. I need a center speaker that is no taller than 7cm. I'm considering a soundbar with an auxiliary input and forward-facing speakers to avoid sound distortion. The JBL Cinema SB510 and Hisense HS2100 are on my shortlist.

For the AVR, my budget is around $1,500, but I'm willing to go up to $2,000 if it significantly enhances performance.
eArc compatibility is important for my setup. Wifi would be a nice to have.

My audio usage breakdown is roughly 40% vinyl, 30% gaming (PS5/Xbox), 20% movies, and 10% streaming music from my phone.

Do you have any AVR suggestions?

I perceive greater clarity from stereo music playback when I deploy Dirac Live room correction software. Consider an AVR that supports Dirac Live like the Denon AVR-X3800H. Dirac Live software is an additional cost and requires a calibrated microphone like miniDSP's UMIK-1 to measure your listening space.

DJNX

You should get a Elipson Planet M as a center speaker.
Mismatching the fronts and the center is something that even the casuals find distracting.

For AVR, an Onkyo RZ50 should be everything you need.

OP
benjaryu

benjaryu

You should get a Elipson Planet M as a center speaker.
Mismatching the fronts and the center is something that even the casuals find distracting.

For AVR, an Onkyo RZ50 should be everything you need.
Good to know, will a speaker this small be enough fpr a center speaker? Can I use 2 at the same time perhaps?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
As you may know, many AVRs don't have phono preamps. (Of course, not an issue if you have a separate phono preamp or one is built-into your turntable).

I'm considering a soundbar with an auxiliary input and forward-facing speakers to avoid sound distortion. The JBL Cinema SB510 and Hisense HS2100 are on my shortlist.
And not all AVRs have analog "preamp outputs".

For "sound quality" The electronics are rarely the limiting factor as long as you have enough power, and most AVRs have plenty of power.

Your weak link will likely be the analog records. ;) Speakers and acoustics make a difference. Your speakers and subwoofer seem a little "small" to me, but I don't know anything about them or how they sound. Your phono cartridge can make a difference too, but mostly in the high-frequency response and that can be tweaked with EQ/tone controls.

OP
benjaryu

benjaryu

Thank you so much for the reply @DVDdoug , that's super helpful.

Your speakers and subwoofer seem a little "small" to me, but I don't know anything about them or how they sound.

Yes, the speakers are small but suprisingly efficient. They actually suit my needs well given the space constraints. I prefer a more subtle bass from the subwoofer when playing vinyl, and when it comes to movies, my wife and I tend to keep the volume down anyway, since we usually watch them when our young kids are asleep. It works out perfectly for us, haha.

themimi

Considering your budget and needs, the Marantz SR6015 could be a great choice for you. Marantz receivers are known for their excellent analog audio quality, and this model includes a dedicated phono input perfect for turntables. It supports up to 9.2 channels, features eARC for better audio return from your TV, and includes Wi-Fi for easy streaming. It's well within your budget range, allowing you to invest the extra in possibly better speakers or other components if needed. The room calibration technology it offers can also help optimize sound in your living space, ensuring you get the best performance out of your current setup.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Beave

Major Contributor
Considering your budget and needs, the Marantz SR6015 could be a great choice for you. Marantz receivers are known for their excellent analog audio quality, and this model includes a dedicated phono input perfect for turntables. It supports up to 9.2 channels, features eARC for better audio return from your TV, and includes Wi-Fi for easy streaming. It's well within your budget range, allowing you to invest the extra in possibly better speakers or other components if needed. The room calibration technology it offers can also help optimize sound in your living space, ensuring you get the best performance out of your current setup.

Tell ChatGPT we all said thanks for writing this post for you. :rolleyes:

Darvis

Good to know, will a speaker this small be enough fpr a center speaker? Can I use 2 at the same time perhaps?
For front duty (mains and center) the Planet L are much better. That's what I have and they're wonderful. You can keep your M for the side and rear :)

jdg78

There are actually a lot of good options in the $1,500-$2,000 range, however I would advise sticking with the more established brands (Denon, Marantz, Sony, Yamaha, etc.) over smaller boutique brands, which tend to be more expensive anyway.

Also keep in mind that you can often get excellent deals on closeout models once new models are introduced. Often the new models have only incremental changes, and unless it's some new feature that you really want/need, the older versions are often just as good in terms of core audio performance.

I ended up getting my current AVR (Denon X3700h) on closeout direct from the manufacturer and couldn't be happier with it, especially for the price.

OP
benjaryu

benjaryu

Hey guys, thanks a ton for all the replies, I ended up finding a solid second hand Denon AVC-X4700H for around $1k!
It seemed like a decent candidate for my needs.

Top Bottom