• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please rescue me from the rabbit hole! Anthem, Denon, Marantz or Integra with KEF r6 + r3 meta, DACs, Music Streaming...

OP
M

m_moksha

Thank you for the feedback. Those R metas are great speakers, you just need to give them enough juice when they demand it, and you will know if your amp has enough, by figuring out the maximum demand based on your distance and desired SPL, and make sure there is some headroom.
I'm still planning on buying the Buckeye at some point in the next few months to address the power issue.

In the meantime I have one more question. I'm noticing something with the KEFs that didn't seem to happen with the Klipschs. If I'm listening to, say, a piano concerto, in the moments in which the piano is playing at a low volume, it all sounds a bit muffled. This happens also when I lower the volume -- the high notes become muffled. As soon as the volume goes up or the piece I'm listening to picks up in volume, the sound is back to a nice crispy and bright.

It doesn't seem to happen when listening with some sony over the hear headphones. Do you have any idea of why this would happen? Is it back to the driving 4ohm speakers with a Denon h4800x instead of powering them with a more appropriate amplifier?

Thanks!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still planning on buying the Buckeye at some point in the next few months to address the power issue.

In the meantime I have one more question. I'm noticing something with the KEFs that didn't seem to happen with the Klipschs. If I'm listening to, say, a piano concerto, in the moments in which the piano is playing at a low volume, it all sounds a bit muffled. This happens also when I lower the volume -- the high notes become muffled. As soon as the volume goes up or the piece I'm listening to picks up in volume, the sound is back to a nice crispy and bright.

It doesn't seem to happen when listening with some sony over the hear headphones. Do you have any idea of why this would happen? Is it back to the driving 4ohm speakers with a Denon h4800x instead of powering them with a more appropriate amplifier?

Thanks!
Not really, at really low volume, even an entry level avr can drive those speakers easily. I think it is just how we hear, that's why Denon and Marantz DEQ is so popular, you should try it, if you haven't yet.

Top Bottom