• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

IlyaP

Hi there,
I have 2 new sealed CBS STR-100 and I finally had time to take some measurements.
But, on both records on one of the channels there are problems.
This happens on different cartridges, on different phono stage, on different adc, on different cables...
Of the other records with sweep I have only AP ultimate. There the channels go in parallel. So it's a problem with these records CBS?
Probably a defective batch.
I'm waiting for the CA-TRS-1007 and Ortofon.
Hopefully CA-TRS-1007 will be ok and I can contribute to the cartridge measurement library.
This is a very good theme. Thanks to everyone involved.

Are there big differences between the CA-TRS-1007 copies? Should I look for additional copies at once?

Figure 2024-05-08 115615.png

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Would need to see the files.

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
In both files the sweep needs to be in channel 1 (L). You need to swap the channels in the "right" channel file.

IlyaP

Yeah, it's working now. Thank you.
I guess I wasn't reading the instructions carefully.
It's very good that the records turned out okay. I'm going to adjust and measure.. I'll post the results in the measurement library thread.
Figure 2024-05-08 125244.png

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Something still wrong. Hold on...

IlyaP

What cartridge is that? If you take into consideration the CBS dip between 5-15kHz or so, that looks really, really flat!
Soundsmith Zephyr mkIII pre-SE. After rettiped, around 20 hours

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Mooving Iron..= fixed coil should be an easy stylus replacement, not really a retip

narud

i wonder if anyone would be able to tell the difference between this and a shure m91.

IlyaP

How are you loading it? The last graph shows it wants more capacitance. If you can get 10kHz at around -0.5 dB you are good to go.

Distortion seems a bit high at 1kHz, but it can always be the record.
47k and a total capacity of 250 or 200, I'm not sure.
This was a test run to see if the script worked.
I saw a problem. I didn't move on.
Now that the script is working, I will try different settings to get normal measurements.

Mooving Iron..= fixed coil should be an easy stylus replacement, not really a retip
Maybe I misspelled it wrong, English is not my first language. On the soundsmith website, they say - "full restoration and stylus rebuilding"

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
@IlyaP the other issue was that the files weren't trimmed correctly - both had audio ~10s past the end of the sweep. BTW, you've a very strong 10Hz resonance with this setup.

TEST.png

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
47k and a total capacity of 250 or 200, I'm not sure.
This was a test run to see if the script worked.
I saw a problem. I didn't move on.
Now that the script is working, I will try different settings to get normal measurements.

Maybe I misspelled it wrong, English is not my first language. On the soundsmith website, they say - "full restoration and stylus rebuilding"
Yes, maybe they fasten it a special way so it is not user replaceable, or they just like to use fancy language to sound more impressive. Cannot really see how fixed coils would need any restoration, the magic lies in the stylus assembly and fitting that , getting a new stylus is as close to a new cart as one can get.So I could call that fully restored too.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Sort of, the B&O design however is not one that has a removable stylus - it is a single integrated unit, much like MC's

But it may be easier to take appart and put back together than an MC is...

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Interesting consept, I guess it is What Soundsmith uses

Top Bottom