• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Soon to be released
FB_IMG_1697989316987.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hmm aluminium!
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Just seeing Keith’s post, we crossed in the mail … funny how we both latched onto the “aluminum” goofiness ;)

I have always had respect for Magico in the sense that there is solid engineering behind their designs, one of the few in HEA crazytown, and my listening impressions and measurements I have seen support this. But their pricing is of course just bonkers. Might help if they stopped with the aluminum (and fully unnecessary) enclosure nonsense. Not saying it doesn’t help with resonances, but you can achieve same with much less expensive materials. But, of course, this silliness appeals to the HEA folks with more money than sense.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Someone here would be extremely disappointed if they weren’t aluminium!
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Or a Baltic Birch cabinet and a front baffle made out of machined MDF that has been textured and painted to look like aluminum. No way to hear the difference.
Once PJ has felt them we will know.
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Or a Baltic Birch cabinet and a front baffle made out of machined MDF that has been textured and painted to look like aluminum. No way to hear the difference.
Bingo

Bridges

Just seeing Keith’s post, we crossed in the mail … funny how we both latched onto the “aluminum” goofiness ;)

I have always had respect for Magico in the sense that there is solid engineering behind their designs, one of the few in HEA crazytown, and my listening impressions and measurements I have seen support this. But their pricing is of course just bonkers. Might help if they stopped with the aluminum (and fully unnecessary) enclosure nonsense. Not saying it doesn’t help with resonances, but you can achieve same with much less expensive materials. But, of course, this silliness appeals to the HEA folks with more money than sense.
There is a Swiss firm who make their speaker in aluminiun casing and manage to keep prices realistic

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Steinheim ?
Their ‘reference’ is only £20k.
I mean £200k so yes pretty reasonable compared to Magic0
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Steinheim also decently engineered, though they don’t measure as well as Magico. And yup, also aluminum. As to pricing, still silly overpriced. But they are made in Switzerland, not the lowest cost manufacturing zone, so that doesn’t help.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree with all that, but I'm still glad that they are making high end speakers that are technically excellent. This is one of the few cases where, if somebody could easily spare the money, I couldn't fault them for buying Magicos.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Steinheim also decently engineered, though they don’t measure as well as Magico. And yup, also aluminum. As to pricing, still silly overpriced. But they are made in Switzerland, not the lowest cost manufacturing zone, so that doesn’t help.
I think Piega makes their speakers out of aluminum too. But they measure bad

Top Bottom