• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mechano23 Open-source DIY Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 46 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 85.3%

• Total voters

Fred H

Forum Donor
Minor (?) discrepancy between two threads:
Ind. 0.33mH link CA$5.10
In this thread the linked inductor is 0.33mH 20awg, 0.38ohms DCR, 11mm H x 45mm D
vs
L1 330 uH 0.258 R
In the telling us about it thread it specifies 0.258 ohms for L1.
This similar inductor is 0.33mH 18awg, 0.26ohms DCR, 13mm H x 51mm (CA$7.99)
This slightly more expensive inductor seems to be a better match; should it be used instead?

I apologize if this discrepancy is meaningless; I don't know enough to evaluate it.

XMechanik

Forum Donor
This slightly more expensive inductor seems to be a better match; should it be used instead

It makes <0.2dB change that can be neglected I think. Both options look fine.
esr_change0258_038.png

Paweł L

Thank you all for your positive reactions and, above all, thanks to Amir for the measurements, tests, and accepting the project for evaluation although (from what I've noticed) DIY designs aren't tested very often. I admit that I'm a bit stunned by such a good review.
I have been curious for a long time how gated home made measurements compare to what a professional system shows. Finally there is an opportunity to take a closer look at it. Just a small problem - I took a few days off, I traveled far away and even my access to the Internet is limited and very unstable.
One observation quickly came to my mind: when using VitixCad Merger tool, I did not apply diffraction for the NF measurement, assuming that it is not important for such a small enclosure. The effect is visible however, but its scale is small - a slight 1dB bass boost compared to NFS. Probably there will be a few more things that need to be listed, I'll try to get to that soon.
Mechanik, no thank you for making it available to DIY community. Well, actually big thanks to Amir as we have confirmation how good your software is and how one with careful set of measurements and planning is capable of designing such well measuring project.
I been asleep for a while when comes to DIY (busy after the winter in actual garage), but I think this is a perfect project when I will visit family in Poland, since mama wants something nice, not too big to connect to her TV/Laptop.
Wielkie dzięki i powodzenia w przyszłych projektach.
Pozdro z Ottawy

EL_PW

Forum Donor
Many people. They don't do that well unfortunately.
After reading about Linkwitz designs for years and nearly buying one or another of the kits I finally got to hear them at RMAF, prior to Siegfried's passing. After hearing them in a similar sized room to my own I must confess I was less enthused to buy any of the kits. I still have an unused license to produce one of the models, the Pluto I believe. That said, Siegfried and his wife were both lovely people. Often that was the best thing about RMAF, meeting the inventors and experiencing their passion for their craft.

DanTheMan

After reading about Linkwitz designs for years and nearly buying one or another of the kits I finally got to hear them at RMAF, prior to Siegfried's passing. After hearing them in a similar sized room to my own I must confess I was less enthused to buy any of the kits. I still have an unused license to produce one of the models, the Pluto I believe. That said, Siegfried and his wife were both lovely people. Often that was the best thing about RMAF, meeting the inventors and experiencing their passion for their craft.
I met him once and was so star struck I couldn't even speak... It was pathetic. Not my finest moment.

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
Can anybody recommend a person or service who could build a pair of these speakers for me, and add a nice finish? I have no skills nor tools to make them myself.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can anybody recommend a person or service who could build a pair of these speakers for me, and add a nice finish? I have no skills nor tools to make them myself.
Make me an offer for the review pair and you can have them! I will offer the funds to the designer and if he doesn't want it, put it toward the forum. You are close to us so will ship overnight.

DanTheMan

It wouldn’t be hard to finish these speakers. Just a few grits of sandpaper (60 or 80 and then go stepwise to 320 or so), elbow grease, and your choice of finish. For BB, I’d use a wood conditioner and a one step stain and satin polyurethane finish like Polyshades. Do 3-4 layers and enjoy for the rest of your days.

Top Bottom