• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for cheap small amp for my Pro-ject turntable.

junksculp

I have a question. I have a pro-ject turntable with preamp and 2 speakers 40w rms/ 75 w max. I'm looking for a small cheap amplifier that can drive this and give a warm sound. What do you recommend? By the way, my name is Jelle, I'm 46 years old and I live in the Netherlands.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I have a question. I have a pro-ject turntable with preamp and 2 speakers 40w rms/ 75 w max. I'm looking for a small cheap amplifier that can drive this and give a warm sound. What do you recommend? By the way, my name is Jelle, I'm 46 years old and I live in the Netherlands.
Amplifiers with a "warm" sound are colored, either intentional, poorly designed, or defective. If you are looking for an amplifier like this, then this might be the wrong forum for it. Many tube amplifiers, but also so-called audiophile amplifiers, such as a Musical Fidelity A1, produce such a sound image.
Maybe this thread is interesting for you: Got a Chinese tube amp and now world is upside down

Since the sound differences are small to marginal, the most important thing when choosing is functionality. Remote control, connections, subwoofer output, digital inputs, Bluetooth, HDMI (e)ARC, etc. An SMSL AO300, for example, has a very high-quality DAC with USB, Toslink, Coax, HDMI ARC, Bluetooth, headphone amplifier, etc.

You will find many very good and cheap amplifiers in Amirm reviews.
You can take a look at SMSL, A50, A100, A300, AO100, AO200, AO300, AL200. Yamaha A-S200/300/500/700, R-S202, Fossi V3 etc. There is currently an unbeatable offer for the Sabaj A5 on Amazon (de).
If you have a higher budget, you can also look at SMSL VMV A1, Sabaj A30a or many of Audiophonics' in-house amplifiers.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Hi @junksculp , Welcome to ASR.

Small and cheap with a warm sound for your 40 Wpc speakers? I recommend AIYIMA A07 Pro. The tone controls allow you to dial the warmth to your taste. This is very important since we cannot predict the overall tone curve of your system (cartridge, preamp, speakers, room) relative to your preferred tone curve.

Amir's review

Manufacturer's product page:

The A07 Pro also has Bluetooth which is nice so you can conveniently play music from streaming and audio books and podcasts on the same speakers.

Roland68

Major Contributor

Small and cheap with a warm sound for your 40 Wpc speakers? I recommend AIYIMA A07 Pro. The tone controls allow you to dial the warmth to your taste. This is very important since we cannot predict the overall tone curve of your system (cartridge, preamp, speakers, room) relative to your preferred tone curve.

Amir's review

The A07 Pro also has Bluetooth which is nice so you can conveniently play music from streaming and audio books and podcasts on the same speakers.
If someone is looking for a "warm" sounding amplifier, then they won't be happy with tone controls/EQ.
This effect is achieved by adding distortion/overtone spectra to the original music signal.

Multicore

Major Contributor
If someone is looking for a "warm" sounding amplifier, then they won't be happy with tone controls/EQ.
This effect is achieved by adding distortion/overtone spectra to the original music signal.
My understanding, which may be wrong, is that most people associate the word warm with gently rolled off treble, i.e. that it refers to regularities we see in frequency response, so "adding warmth" requires a tone curve adjustments.

I'm well experienced with non-linear distortion effects in music production but I personally do not use them in playback and would not normally recommend them, and certainly not to @junksculp given how little we know of that person and preferences.

I personally do not use the word warm to describe a signal that's been through an overdrive/clipping effect compared to the corresponding dry signal.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
My understanding, which may be wrong, is that most people associate the word warm with gently rolled off treble, i.e. that it refers to regularities we see in frequency response, so "adding warmth" requires a tone curve adjustments.

I'm well experienced with non-linear distortion effects in music production but I personally do not use them in playback and would not normally recommend them, and certainly not to @junksculp given how little we know of that person and preferences.

I personally do not use the word warm to describe a signal that's been through an overdrive/clipping effect compared to the corresponding dry signal.
You can't get this "warm" sound, what is meant by it in audiophile circles, with tone controls, and especially not with a TPA3255-based amplifier. Definitely not without tricks.
Just go to an audiophile store and ask for an amplifier with a "warm" sound and listen to it. If you really want something like that, you don't care about the measured values or whether the signal is changed.

Multicore

Major Contributor
You can't get this "warm" sound, what is meant by it in audiophile circles, with tone controls, and especially not with a TPA3255-based amplifier. Definitely not without tricks.
Just go to an audiophile store and ask for an amplifier with a "warm" sound and listen to it. If you really want something like that, you don't care about the measured values or whether the signal is changed.
I don't want to be involved in sustaining audiophile memes about warmth. I am the self-proclaimed Pragmatic Antiaudiophile. If I can persuade @junksculp to use a linear amp with treble and bass controls to produce a tonality that he or she likes and calls "warm", I'll call that a win in both problem solving and in education of the semantics of the caloric content of musical signals.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
and give a warm sound
Welcome Jelle. As you see, you can't ask a simple question without provoking an argument around here - in this case, what "warm sound" means. What does "warm sound" mean to you?

Some other questions that help guide the answer: What type speakers do you have? What type of music do you like to listen to? What are the acoustics of your listening room (size, furnishings, hard or soft surfaces, etc.)?

I've used a Aiyima A07 (plain version, no tone controls) with a turntable and small speakers as you describe and found the sound very enjoyable. Clean, smooth, uncolored, and plenty of power.

Last edited:

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
most people associate the word warm with gently rolled off treble
Also with slightly boosted bass/midbass. I think of my vintage KLH speakers as warm, plenty of bass/midbass without being boomy, rolled off treble, no high treble.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Also with slightly boosted bass/midbass. I think of my vintage KLH speakers as warm, plenty of bass/midbass without being boomy, rolled off treble, no high treble.
Yes, and I thought about saying things like that too, and then I couldn't decide how to explain the difference in simple terms, because I don't really understand it myself. What does "warm" mean? Irdfk. So I cut it off there.

In any case it surely varies by subject, so use your tone controls and EQs liberally to get a sound you like, call that sound warm if you want, or something else (makes no difference to me what you call it), and then we can all go to bed content and comfortable in the knowledge that we're all subjectivists at the end of the day.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I don't want to be involved in sustaining audiophile memes about warmth. I am the self-proclaimed Pragmatic Antiaudiophile. If I can persuade @junksculp to use a linear amp with treble and bass controls to produce a tonality that he or she likes and calls "warm", I'll call that a win in both problem solving and in education of the semantics of the caloric content of musical signals.
Before you respond to mine with a post like that, it would have been polite to read my first post. Then you would have noticed how I feel about such "sounded" devices and have clearly recommended good and well-measuring amplifiers.
But if someone likes or prefers a very specific type of sound, I can make suggestions and show them alternatives, but I don't necessarily have to convert them, right?

And this warm “sound” occurs mainly in the area of distortions (overtones/formants). That's why I mentioned the Musical Fidelity A1, because the development and method of creating these distortions is well documented, as is a modification that turns the Musical Fidelity A1 into a completely normal-sounding Class A amplifier.

OP
J

junksculp

Amplifiers with a "warm" sound are colored, either intentional, poorly designed, or defective. If you are looking for an amplifier like this, then this might be the wrong forum for it. Many tube amplifiers, but also so-called audiophile amplifiers, such as a Musical Fidelity A1, produce such a sound image.
Maybe this thread is interesting for you: Got a Chinese tube amp and now world is upside down

Since the sound differences are small to marginal, the most important thing when choosing is functionality. Remote control, connections, subwoofer output, digital inputs, Bluetooth, HDMI (e)ARC, etc. An SMSL AO300, for example, has a very high-quality DAC with USB, Toslink, Coax, HDMI ARC, Bluetooth, headphone amplifier, etc.

You will find many very good and cheap amplifiers in Amirm reviews.
You can take a look at SMSL, A50, A100, A300, AO100, AO200, AO300, AL200. Yamaha A-S200/300/500/700, R-S202, Fossi V3 etc. There is currently an unbeatable offer for the Sabaj A5 on Amazon (de).
If you have a higher budget, you can also look at SMSL VMV A1, Sabaj A30a or many of Audiophonics' in-house amplifiers.
Thanks for your reply. I don't have many wishes. Only 1 input for the record player and 2 outputs for the speakers. By the way, I have the following speakers:
Is this a good one:

OP
J

junksculp

Amir's review

And this one:

OP
J

junksculp

The fx-audio fx502a pro is without controls

Multicore

Major Contributor
And this one:
The price is good. Amir has tested the AIYIMA A07 Pro and found it pretty good and it ahs tone controls. Both of those would be worth paying extra to me. In fact, they were. I have one in the bedroom pushing a pair of old Dali boxes.

Have you learned how to find and read Amir's amp reviews? There have been a few small cheap ones that might suit you. Use the Review Index link in the topnav and then chose Audio Electronics in the embedded navbar. The UI is unusual but it works and you'll figure it out.

OP
J

junksculp

Welcome Jelle. As you see, you can't ask a simple question without provoking an argument around here - in this case, what "warm sound" means. What does "warm sound" mean to you?

Some other questions that help guide the answer: What type speakers do you have? What type of music do you like to listen to? What are the acoustics of your listening room (size, furnishings, hard or soft surfaces, etc.)?

I've used a Aiyima A07 (plain version, no tone controls) with a turntable and small speakers as you describe and found the sound very enjoyable. Clean, smooth, uncolored, and plenty of power.
I have Dayton Audio B652 air speakers. The installation is in my living room of approximately 20m2. I listen to a lot of U2, Rammstein, Kitty Daisy and Lewis, Taylor Swift, etc. By warm I mean that you hear yourself playing vinyl. Is the fx-audio fx502a pro worth it?

OP
J

junksculp

The price is good. Amir has tested the AIYIMA A07 Pro and found it pretty good and it ahs tone controls. Both of those would be worth paying extra to me. In fact, they were. I have one in the bedroom pushing a pair of old Dali boxes.

Have you learned how to find and read Amir's amp reviews? There have been a few small cheap ones that might suit you. Use the Review Index link in the topnav and then chose Audio Electronics in the embedded navbar. The UI is unusual but it works and you'll figure it out.
I did find the fx-502s pro, but I don't really understand the tests. Amir doesn't think it's that good, but maybe it's good enough for me.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I did find the fx-502s pro, but I don't really understand the tests. Amir doesn't think it's that good, but maybe it's good enough for me.
Ok. I read the review and I think given your nice TT you should aim a little higher. That fx-502s pro is maybe good enough for some casual applications but for your Pro-ject? But if you're really tight for money then I doubt you can find a better deal.

OP
J

junksculp

Ok. I read the review and I think given your nice TT you should aim a little higher. That fx-502s pro is maybe good enough for some casual applications but for your Pro-ject? But if you're really tight for money then I doubt you can find a better deal.
Thank you, I see the Aiyima a07 is much better.
Best stereo cheap amplifier review 2022.png

Top Bottom