• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Limitations of blind testing procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does. You have to show transparency in conversations and also show that your opinion is not polluted in the interest of your commercial enterprise. Best way to do that is to present independent research to back what you say. In the course of all of this, there should have been occasions for you to disclose this type of interest.

1.) I thought the right place to mention what i´m doing is the profile
2.) If people are strongly biased there is no way i could "show" that my opinion is not polluted in the interest of some commercial enterprises
3.) If you ever found any advertising in my posts please show me and i will immediately correct it
4.) To assume that imagined commercial interests could be more dangerous than stubborness, religious like beliefs or the superegos that often post in forums, is a bit challenging
5.) wrt independent research for backup- you shouldn´t ask more from me than you do yourself. You´re using often your own listening test results and quite often there is no independent research to back it up. Don´t get me wrong, i trust in every poster that he reports truthfully until there is evidence for doubts.

<snip>

So what is wrong is not with him. It is with people such who steal that one line from him with no proper attribution that he even said that ever and in what context as to distort his views and position him as an expert witness for sighted subjective evaluation of audio trumping measurements. It shows that the people doing that don't even know the man. The one liner was all that they needed to mis-position someone of such distinguished career.

I haven´t seen this sort of abuse of the Recklinghausen quote.

In a less informed place you might get away with such a stunt but please don't do that here.
And now things get creepy.
Please don´t put words in my ...err... posts; the "stunt" that you mentioned was made up by you, it only exists in your imagination.
I cited the quote - attributed to him according to the AES website, which i mentioned- and neither he nor i wrote something about "sighted listening".
And according to your linked article authored by von Recklinghausen about the new IHF standard, the quote - as i said in my last post - fits imo perfectly to his description of the two amplifiers test the same (under the old standard) but "sound radically different" .

Expect your statements to be analyzed deeply with much more context and knowledge than you see in typical audiophile forums where folks may accept these one-liners as gospel.

I did not expect these "tales of mystery and imagination" that only a nearly overwhelming bias can base on a one-liner ..... :)

What talk? Give me a link to an article or paper he wrote saying that.

Sorry, my bad, i misunderstood.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, that was some read especially the letter section.

I think one of the fundamental problems not mentioned there is lack of technical knowledge by subjective reviewers. They convince themselves of technological features that do not at all work the way they think.

Take this Harmonic cable. He says it eliminates ground loop. Well the optical part does that. But how about the transceivers at both ends with wall-wart power supplies? He has added two more pre-amps with two more power supplies to his system by using this "optical" cable.

Then there is the naivete and lack of understanding that lasers used for optical data communication do not have linear response, nor do they need it. Their job is to transmit pulses to the other side, not the levels in between. My antenna went way up as soon as I read that in Fremer's review well before I read any measurements from JA.

Seemingly there is no requirement for subjective reviewers to know the technology. That would be fine if they ignored the technological aspects. But they don't and use those misunderstandings as they evaluate the sound of gear allowing the bias to creep in far more than it would otherwise. If they are just going by "what they hear" then there should not be one technical word or consideration be there.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I cited the quote - attributed to him according to the AES website, which i mentioned- and neither he nor i wrote something about "sighted listening".
Here you go misrepresenting things. That is not an "AES" web site. It is the local chapter of AES which runs its own independent web site. And the quotes were clearly mentioned for fun. You can't use them in any other context. It is improper and misleading.

And do a bit of homework for heaven's sake. Search for how he is and ponder how he could take such a position.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
5.) wrt independent research for backup- you shouldn´t ask more from me than you do yourself. You´re using often your own listening test results and quite often there is no independent research to back it up.
Let's have a link for this.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, that was some read especially the letter section.

I think one of the fundamental problems not mentioned there is lack of technical knowledge by subjective reviewers. They convince themselves of technological features that do not at all work the way they think.

Take this Harmonic cable. He says it eliminates ground loop. Well the optical part does that. But how about the transceivers at both ends with wall-wart power supplies? He has added two more pre-amps with two more power supplies to his system by using this "optical" cable.

Then there is the naivete and lack of understanding that lasers used for optical data communication do not have linear response, nor do they need it. Their job is to transmit pulses to the other side, not the levels in between. My antenna went way up as soon as I read that in Fremer's review well before I read any measurements from JA.

Seemingly there is no requirement for subjective reviewers to know the technology. That would be fine if they ignored the technological aspects. But they don't and use those misunderstandings as they evaluate the sound of gear allowing the bias to creep in far more than it would otherwise. If they are just going by "what they hear" then there should not be one technical word or consideration be there.
Quite so..
The bit of a hifi system I know best is the record player. Fremer's understanding of pickup cartridges is weak. It wouldn't bother me if he didn't postulate bollox but just write about how it sounds to him, as it is I find his stuff too irritating to read.

tomelex

Forum Donor
I see that sort of sentiment quite a lot, or "Stereo is an illusion". I don't believe it. It may be that the human goes into a different 'mode' of listening, but I don't think they are filling in any information that isn't there. When watching a black and white film, we don't imagine colour - we just adapt to the lack of colour.

Does FAS42 trigger any thoughts about what you just wrote? He claims his brain fills in stuff, and quotes something with initials as proof (forgot what they were) of this theory of Imagineering...

tomelex

Forum Donor
Probably it depends on the meaning of "illusion". At a first glance it is related to the virtual sound sources that we perceive they aren´t there (at least they aren´t there, where we think they are), further it is related to the depth illusion of the sound field. As already pointed out in the articles from the 1930s, the developers noticed that the ability to perceive the "depth of image" was very different among listeners.

Imo to experience a certain degree of realism with a reproduction system, that is as far away from reality as two channel stereophonie is, there has to be a lot of fill in from listeners; don´t get me wrong it works quite good most of the time...

Back to the virtual sound sources; at that point i´d admit that the word "illusion" might be misleading as most of us can´t avoid the illusion, no matter if we see the loudspeakers or not, no matter how hard we try, we can´t perceive (proper setup provided) two discrete channels.
There is a small percentage of people who (afair for unknown reasons) aren´t able to perceive the virtual sound source and therefore quite often better stick to mono instead of stereo.

Yes, the entire stereo illusion relies on our brain processing amplitude and phase differences, so it only "manifests" when our two ears and brain interact with the sounds. We all hear differently to some measure. A good experiment to do, that I always bring up, since I was perhaps 19 years old, is to play your system as mono for a few days, then convert back to stereo (real high quality pre-amps have a stereo/mono button) and you will be shocked at how weird stereo sounds at first, like many things, we adapt to it. For example, when my kids watch the wide screen TV, they do not notice the people are short and squat, they have adapted to that.

tomelex

Forum Donor
" If it Measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing"
Many bits of expensive (and inexpensive) hifi which measure poorly are very highly regarded by many enthusiasts.
It can be almost guaranteed that certain of the Stereophile writers will have waxed lyrical about products which John Atkinson's measurements show to be technically poor.
I remember Martin Colloms reviewing very, very expensive Audio Note kit and praising the sound quality and being surprised by how badly they measured.
He asked the hypothetical question "do they sound good because of the poor measurements or despite them".
I am of the firm opinion it is because of them - some people prefer the distortion they add or the modified frequency response. IMO there is no other plausible explanation which accounts for both the auditioning opinion and measurement results.

I have been totally exasperated by the proponents of SET amps praising the sound and saying it is audibly superior whilst asserting that the high levels of distortion are inaudible. You couldn't make it up.

Oh yes, beloved SET amps. Yes when pushed, they do distort more, however, at low levels distortion is very low. But, they add in extra frequencies near each frequency they amplify, so they flesh things out. They are pretty heavy on the second harmonic, in general, and in some situations that second harmonic will cancel the second harmonic the speaker generate, and so for some situations, they may actually end up sounding pretty good. I am at no illusion that they do "enrich" music, they make it often times more interesting and dynamic. However, accurate to the source, no, they are not. These units are a preference thing, a softening and adding of a chorus effect as I call it, which can make plain old stereo "sound" more interesting, when you are in the mood for it. I have one in my system for times when I want to hear a sweeter sound. See avatar.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Donor
This thread had a most interesting discussion concerning Robert W. (Bob) Carver and his work with amplifiers.

On the Bob Carver Corp website http://www.bobcarvercorp.com/
there is a video in which Bob describes (among other topics) what made his amplifiers cheaper and better
In the segment between 2.5 and 5.5 minutes Bob describes how he uses a triac to control the portion of the line voltage to the power transformer (probably maximizing the current). By my (limited) understanding, this would give a very rippled AC that would require much work to be a smooth DC for the amplifier to work with. Also that transformer could not be used for heater voltage.

My understanding of power supplies was that one wanted a smooth DC at constant voltage. When I built power supplies I specifically used a full-wave (bridge) rectifier with multiple chokes and electrolytic caps to smooth the voltage as much as possible.

Am I missing something here on the necessary power/voltage needed for amplifiers? Thanks.

Jakob1863

Here you go misrepresenting things. That is not an "AES" web site.

And again you´re just imagine things. It is an "AES website" because it belongs to the AES domain. Why you seem to think that it must mean that it is supposed to contain/promote official AES positions is beyond my understanding.
For example, the JAES is the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, but even that doesn´t mean that everything written in it is an "official AES point of view". If you want, you could assert that the AES (via its Editors/Review board) thinks that an article is worth publishing, sometimes even if it contradicts "official AES positions" stated elsewhere.

I don´t misrepresent something, you are simply making it up.
Of course, it might be that some readers/members don´t understand the meaning of that what it doesn´t include, but, as this is the audiosciencereview- forum it should be possible to transport the usual meaning/context, instead of riding imagined "stunts" or "misrepresentations".

It is the local chapter of AES which runs its own independent web site.
Sorry, but that´s not correct, the site is:
www.aes.org/sections/pnw/
that is everything but an independent web site.

<snip>
And do a bit of homework for heaven's sake. Search for how he is and ponder how he could take such a position.

Sorry again, but it´s your assertion that the quote doesn´t fit his approach to audio reproduction, so it´s your obligation to provide evidence for your position. What you´ve shown so far corrobates, as argued already, more that the quote fits.

Let's have a link for this.

See for example in this thread:

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?goto/post&id=44034#post-44034

You asserted a (incorrect) statistical argument, referring solely to your own test results, without additional external back-up. I explained why your argument was misleading, calculated an exemplary probability (quite high at aproximately 44%, conditions as mentioned) to reach results like yours.

Later you asserted that it was a basic accepted general rule in statistics that combining different test results were strictly prohibited, of course without any external reference to back it up. (Not that suprising as your assertion was simply incorrect).

Jakob1863

While I agree there a limitations to blind testing, they are far less than sighted testing, and its a fact that big talking audiophiles always have a reason they can not do a blind test. The reason is they know their hearing is variable, and they really deep down do not want to lose their status among their friends.

Sorry for the late reply, i somehow missed your post.
The "far less than sighted testing" point is a bit surprising, as we could execute a sighted listening test in exactly the same way as the "blind" listening, of course except for the "blind" property.
So it seems imo a bit overstated to call it "far less", although i understand why one could think about it that way. In a somewhat mechanical approach every bias effect blocked out, would be considered to have a positive effect and if a test evaluated by an external reviewer, it surely will be counted.

But overall, the final benchmark for any test are _correct_ results and in this regard the "far less" description does not hold, as it is equally easy to get wrong answers in a "blind" test. A well known example for that is the enormous error rate in same/different trials, that sometimes reached ~80% when "same" is presented.

You said that "big talking audiophiles" know that their hearing is variable and that might be true, but why should that be an argument to not participate in controlled listening tests?
Or, more important, is that variable hearing taken into account in the usual "blind" listening tests, that are so often reported?

The fear to lose status might be an important reason, but it might be also that they fear to get forced to participate in not so well planned and executed "blind" tests, whos results nevertheless will be reported as universal truth.

After all, you and I can sit down and listen to a song on your stereo, and I can say, do you hear " blah blah blah" and you have a choice right now, yes I can, or say no and admit your hearing is not as good as mine. I win if you say no, I am the audiophile golden ear, you are just the unwashed wannabe listeners who spend huge amounts of money on a system that you can not even hear what I can hear on it!

Of course something like that will happen, but overall the group of "audiophiles" is imho as heterogenous as every other group too.

Bottom line, limitations or not, if they are not willing to submit to any type of non sighted test, they are just another person exercising their jaw muscles. Claiming there are limitations, whether mathematical or not, does not invalidate blind testing as a superior concept to sighted listening when others are wanting to see if they are really a qualified "golden ear" or just another wannabe.

Sure, but if you don´t want to become an expert in testing yourself, you have to rely on the honesty of the people planning and executing the test. I´ve shown/linked some example of the quite typical reactions of socalled objectivists when confronted with valid concerns wrt to their methodology and those weren´t really what you´d expect to see from reserachers trying to find the "truth".
Even today it is quite rare to find well documented listening tests not suffering from the old well known faults.

Of course, the fallacy to all this is, even if you hear a difference, which rendition is accurate to the record or cd or digital file, which is the reference, and the only reference when talking about audio playback.<snip>

What is supposed to be the reference is debateable, i´ve already described in earlier posts that at least to different point of views, wrt to this reference point, exist among the recording/producing people.

The "Hafler/Levinson fear" that you´ve mentioned might have a strong impact, but do you think that on the other side the fear to find confirmation for an audible difference after stating the impossibility of that said audible difference, doesn´t have an equally impact?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Sorry for the late reply, i somehow missed your post.
The "far less than sighted testing" point is a bit surprising, as we could execute a sighted listening test in exactly the same way as the "blind" listening, of course except for the "blind" property.
So it seems imo a bit overstated to call it "far less", although i understand why one could think about it that way. In a somewhat mechanical approach every bias effect blocked out, would be considered to have a positive effect and if a test evaluated by an external reviewer, it surely will be counted.

But overall, the final benchmark for any test are _correct_ results and in this regard the "far less" description does not hold, as it is equally easy to get wrong answers in a "blind" test. A well known example for that is the enormous error rate in same/different trials, that sometimes reached ~80% when "same" is presented.

?

Jakob, you keep doing this, talking in semantics witjout making any valid points.

The obvious point that was being made was that sighted listening is fundamentally flawed. This has been demonstrated not only scientifically, but should be bloody obvious to anyone.

So its not surprising, Its not overstated, its a fact. Period.

So what is the purpose of your comments? You just keep going round in circles, as I said previously, sort of saying "anything is possible" without anything of any substance to back it up.

So, what audio equipment do you manufacture and sell?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The fear to lose status might be an important reason, but it might be also that they fear to get forced to participate in not so well planned and executed "blind" tests, whos results nevertheless will be reported as universal truth.

Of course something like that will happen, but overall the group of "audiophiles" is imho as heterogenous as every other group too.

No really, the only fear is the one that their hearing isnt quite as capable as theyvimagine it to be.....

...well personally I would rather be in the hetrogenious group that looks to scientific method than the one that relies on faith (the gospel according to hifi marketing deities), voodoo, snake oil and a totally misplaced trust in ones own senses and personal interpretation thereof.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry, but that´s not correct, the site is:
www.aes.org/sections/pnw/
that is everything but an independent web site.
Here is the heading of the above link:

upload_2017-7-25_8-46-39.png

Here is the heading of the link where you got that quote:

upload_2017-7-25_8-47-24.png

No template. No heading. Nothing in common with AES web site format. Just an honest attempt to keep alive a set of fun sayings. Use it in that manner and all is well. Put one of them forward as your expert witness and you better have more than this faulty attribution that this is "AES web site" quote.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
See for example in this thread:

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?goto/post&id=44034#post-44034

You asserted a (incorrect) statistical argument, referring solely to your own test results, without additional external back-up. I explained why your argument was misleading, calculated an exemplary probability (quite high at aproximately 44%, conditions as mentioned) to reach results like yours.

You said: "5.) wrt independent research for backup- you shouldn´t ask more from me than you do yourself. You´re using often your own listening test results and quite often there is no independent research to back it up."
And I asked for a link and that is what you show? What independent research is needed for results of a listening test? That is data by itself. I can provide the files and you or anyone else can take the test. It needs to no "reference" to back it.

Later you asserted that it was a basic accepted general rule in statistics that combining different test results were strictly prohibited, of course without any external reference to back it up. (Not that suprising as your assertion was simply incorrect).
Here you go. In letters with respect to famous Meyer and Moran test of CD vs high res audio, this was sent to AES and published in the Journal: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=15249

upload_2017-7-25_8-57-14.png

[...]

upload_2017-7-25_8-58-12.png

upload_2017-7-25_8-59-11.png

Meyer and Moran set up multiple testing facilities where listeners could come and do the testing on their own. Professor Dranove objected to that practice calling the test statistics "incorrect."

Meyer and Moran responded with this:

upload_2017-7-25_9-0-37.png

See? They agree with it. They go on to say:

upload_2017-7-25_9-1-5.png

Again, a nod of agreement.

This is exactly the same scenario as your amplifier test where you sent out samples for listeners to listen in different situations/systems, etc.

You talk big about hygiene of statistics but quick to dismiss them all when it comes to conveying your own point of view and test you ran. If you believe in such things, you better practice it better than anyone else not the other way around.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You said that "big talking audiophiles" know that their hearing is variable and that might be true, but why should that be an argument to not participate in controlled listening tests?
Can you point to controlled listening tests you have participated in?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Even today it is quite rare to find well documented listening tests not suffering from the old well known faults.
How hard have you looked? Let's pick the last 10 years. How many published listening tests have you reviewed? And what percentage have "known faults?" Please be specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom