• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let Your Voice Help Us Make an All-In-One

Danimacl

It’s great to see Fosi doing market research.

Things that would be important to me.
Good Quality DAC, HDMI ARC, AirPlay 2, Toslink, RCA In (for those who like vinyl), Wifi, bluetooth, maybe USB in too. Sub out with adjustable high pass filter (or fixed 80hz). RCA out and maybe even balanced out. If possible under ($250 USD).

Ideally also: a matching paired good quality stereo power amplifier 125WPC @ 8ohms ideally also under $250 USD that can be purchased separately. Or a bundle with existing Fosi amps!

Basically allowing people to build a versatile good quality modern system that doesn’t take up much space for less than $500USD. I have never built any Hifi components so I have no idea how much it cost to build these features.

Someone with limited space could use the receiver to stream music, watch tv, and play vinyl. Use it with their active speakers, passive speakers (with ext amplifiers) and subwoofer.

I’m very confident as someone under 30 that almost nobody under 30 has any CDs. Literally none of my friends use CD’s. They use vinyl, Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, or watch Netflix, Apple TV etc. People who use CD’s have CD players or can pick up a used CD player with digital out for like $80 hahah.

Or option B

Similar to above but with 80wpc integrated amp fixed 80hz highpass and maybe $350USD?

The best part about Fosi is the great quality for great value. I get it if Fosi wants to move upmarket I understand because the margins might be greater. The unfortunate thing is in the world of portable bluetooth speakers, getting young people into audio is hard especially since cost of living has increased. Fosi is one of those companies helping to make hifi attainable for younger generations!

dannut

garnering insightful feedback and suggestions from numerous audiophiles. We're now reaching out to ASR members for your additional perspectives on this product.
@Fosi Audio - I hope you understand, these 'feature requests' usually end up bloating the product, which leads to:
  • 'spec hunting' that needlessly drives up costs without any psychoacoustical benefits.
  • faulty implementation of said features
  • needed core features for 'best practice' sound reproduction are ignored
  • horrible UX/UI
  • and your paying customers end up doing alpha testing
It is not any way an implication that Fosi Audio is erring, but a larger problem with the tech industry.

Better to ask questions, like:
  • what is needed for a 'high-performance' sound system?
  • how to make an excellent UX/UI that users praise? This is how your customers interact with your product. (eg. a needed feature: remotely change volume and bass/treble tilt accessible from a button, not buried deep in the menu. (due to 'circle of confusion' issues in the music industry))
There is an easy answer, but product development needs a paradigm shift for this to materialize. Some very sour examples, that are desperately needed:

• For a headphone-based system: crossfeed and >5 PEQs
  • For active-speaker based system: bass management! (matrix mixer) Variable highpass for speakers, ~5 PEQs, delay. For subwoofer outs (3 independent is recommended, 2 minimum) - delay, variable highpass, PEQ!
  • For passive-speaker based system: some decent, cheap amplification, good burst performance to not clip peaks. Proposed TPA3255 is perfectly adequate, if it has a solid power supply.

Btw, how is it going with the multichannel product development?

Last edited:
OP
Fosi Audio

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
It’s great to see Fosi doing market research.

Things that would be important to me.
Good Quality DAC, HDMI ARC, AirPlay 2, Toslink, RCA In (for those who like vinyl), Wifi, bluetooth, maybe USB in too. Sub out with adjustable high pass filter (or fixed 80hz). RCA out and maybe even balanced out. If possible under ($250 USD).

Ideally also: a matching paired good quality stereo power amplifier 125WPC @ 8ohms ideally also under $250 USD that can be purchased separately. Or a bundle with existing Fosi amps!

Basically allowing people to build a versatile good quality modern system that doesn’t take up much space for less than $500USD. I have never built any Hifi components so I have no idea how much it cost to build these features.

Someone with limited space could use the receiver to stream music, watch tv, and play vinyl. Use it with their active speakers, passive speakers (with ext amplifiers) and subwoofer.

I’m very confident as someone under 30 that almost nobody under 30 has any CDs. Literally none of my friends use CD’s. They use vinyl, Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, or watch Netflix, Apple TV etc. People who use CD’s have CD players or can pick up a used CD player with digital out for like $80 hahah.

Or option B

Similar to above but with 80wpc integrated amp fixed 80hz highpass and maybe $350USD?

The best part about Fosi is the great quality for great value. I get it if Fosi wants to move upmarket I understand because the margins might be greater. The unfortunate thing is in the world of portable bluetooth speakers, getting young people into audio is hard especially since cost of living has increased. Fosi is one of those companies helping to make hifi attainable for younger generations!
Hi friend, what do you think if we set three adjustable output frequency bands for the sub-out: 20-80hz, 80-120hz, and 20-300hz

You can choose from them

dannut

Hi friend, what do you think if we set three adjustable output frequency bands for the sub-out: 20-80hz, 80-120hz, and 20-300hz

You can choose from them
That is not very useful. Active subwoofers have already 2 settings: variable low-pass filter OR wide open. So don't bother with a crude lowpass on a processor without having a highpass on the mains.

Proposal:
  • Mix L+R signal for subfoofer channel
  • Apply variable highpass to mains. From 40Hz up to >160Hz, in 10Hz increments, if it makes the UI easier. A web-based UI is preferred with a slider and a custom box, where user can input a value in 1Hz increments.
  • Apply variable lowpass to subwoofer. Start from the value that user inputs from the previous menu, but make it possible to vary it independently.
  • Next is a delay menu. Apply delay to sub channels in ~0.1ms increments. + AND -.
  • PEQ menu. Preferably as many as user would like. Start with the sub channel(s), then L+R and finally L and R independently.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In our recent survey within our community, we explored the concept of an All-In-One solution, garnering insightful feedback and suggestions from numerous audiophiles. We're now reaching out to ASR members for your additional perspectives on this product.
I am not the 'idea-man' here... but can (or should) the OP update/summarize where this future AiO product is heading - for the sake of the members providing suggestions?
I am also not the 'spokes-man' for anyone else here... but a feedback system is a 2-way interaction - w/o needing to reveal FOSI trade-secrets.;)

Wishing for continued FOSI success, in 2024 and beyond.

OldTimer

Suggestion from me: Please replace the single sub out with pre-out or line-out. And please add 1 more optical input. Like this:
IMG_0935.jpeg

Danimacl

You can choose from them
Are you talking about high pass or low pass? Most (basically all?)subs have an adjustable low pass built in. I’m talking about a pre out high pass. I‘d think 40-120hz would suit the needs of the majority of users.

Danimacl

That is not very useful. Active subwoofers have already 2 settings: variable low-pass filter OR wide open. So don't bother with a crude lowpass on a processor without having a highpass on the mains.

Proposal:
  • Mix L+R signal for subfoofer channel
  • Apply variable highpass to mains. From 40Hz up to >160Hz, in 10Hz increments, if it makes the UI easier. A web-based UI is preferred with a slider and a custom box, where user can input a value in 1Hz increments.
  • Apply variable lowpass to subwoofer. Start from the value that user inputs from the previous menu, but make it possible to vary it independently.
  • Next is a delay menu. Apply delay to sub channels in ~0.1ms increments. + AND -.
  • PEQ menu. Preferably as many as user would like. Start with the sub channel(s), then L+R and finally L and R independently.
Personally I’d hard pass on any type of UI beyond physical controls. 10 years from now any app or web based solution will probably be broken, how many times have we seen things that rely on Java or some Internet protocol change that makes things useless.

Products like the Mini DSP- SHD or similar already fill that niche pretty well if you’re looking for full DSP functionality. I think the wifi or internet connectivity only needs the ability to stream airplay 2, chrome cast and update firmware from existing apps that we already use.

I think alot of Fosi’s designs have been successful because the simplicity, quality and wallet friendly pricing. I don’t know if they make any products that require a software interface.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just for fun: my "all inclusive" would be a streaming integrated amp that includes a CD/SACD/Blu ray player, plus a few RCA line level inputs for hooking up whatever I felt like attaching. A 'tape monitor' loop would be icing on the cake to enable playing with different signal processors to be clicked into and out of the loop. Maybe two tape monitor/processor loops!

The basic set up would be just that unit straight into speakers!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah you guys are asking for too much again

you're asking for Fosi to remake this:

I have one of these and it was a USD$599 device when new... it did not do well in the market.

lovelo

Forum Donor
Greetings,

In our recent survey within our community, we explored the concept of an All-In-One solution, garnering insightful feedback and suggestions from numerous audiophiles. We're now reaching out to ASR members for your additional perspectives on this product.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts on what this product should encompass and which of the two proposed solutions resonates more with you. Your input is invaluable in shaping an exceptional audio experience.

Option A: CD+streamer+DAC+preamp+headphone amp
Option B: CD+streamer+DAC+preamp+power amplifer

View attachment 335926
Option B is what i search.

iLoveCats

Just for fun: my "all inclusive" would be a streaming integrated amp that includes a CD/SACD/Blu ray player
I would say if there's an optical drive it definitely should include CD, SACD, DVD-A, Blu Ray. A universal player. I can't be the only one with audio in all of these formats still. I have a universal Sony blu ray player I'm keeping forever for these oddball discs

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Option A - power amp or powered speakers being in play. So make sure to have multiple digital and analog out (speakers and subwoofer). PLEASE INCLUDE: 8-10 bands of EQ and something to compete with RME’s dynamic loudness Feature, perhaps with a physical control to set reference level. Really focus on getting the right signal to the power stage, and let people waste money on whatever power amp they want.

JeremyFife

This is a fun game ...

Neither option, for me.
No integral CD as that adds too much risk of mechanical failure.

z. Separate CD Transport, matching case which stacks nicely
or
y. Separate Portable CD player, headphone, digital out in a nice case that stacks

x. Streamer / DAC / Headphone / Power with analogue and digital inputs plus TONE controls and LOUDNESS
or
w. Streamer / DAC / Headphone / Pre-out / Sub-out with PEQ and hi/low pass filters

More fun would be a cute set of separates; nice case, stack neatly, balanced (TRS for neatness) interconnects supplied as standard by Fossi
6 units: Streamer, CD Transport (or portable), DAC, DSP module, Headphone Amp, Power Amp

OldTimer

This is a fun game ...

Neither option, for me.
No integral CD as that adds too much risk of mechanical failure.

z. Separate CD Transport, matching case which stacks nicely
or
y. Separate Portable CD player, headphone, digital out in a nice case that stacks

x. Streamer / DAC / Headphone / Power with analogue and digital inputs plus TONE controls and LOUDNESS
or
w. Streamer / DAC / Headphone / Pre-out / Sub-out with PEQ and hi/low pass filters

More fun would be a cute set of separates; nice case, stack neatly, balanced (TRS for neatness) interconnects supplied as standard by Fossi
6 units: Streamer, CD Transport (or portable), DAC, DSP module, Headphone Amp, Power Amp
6 units mean 6 products. I don’t think they have enough budget

JeremyFife

6 units mean 6 products. I don’t think they have enough budget
That's why it's fun: I don't have to worry about budgets :)

You could have extra products too; phono preamp, storage (a hard drive, basically), passive preamp (tone controls, volume) ... and daisy chain all the digital components with USB (or optical) down to the DAC ... loads of fun.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Please, Fosi, do keep considering making a multi-input solid state preamp that will mate nicely with the V3. Something with 3-4 inputs, good volume control with remote, and either BT or DAC/toslink as an additional input.

Short38

Total modularity as outlined by JeremyFife would be very smart design. Definitely a separate UDP tray loader.

Top Bottom