• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef blade 2 meta frequency response

OP
D

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's hope somebody sends some Cantons to him soon so he can really understand what good sound actually is.
Probably he may. We don’t know. To me, it sounded way better in every aspects. Sounded very much spacious, smooth and detailed. Kef as usual sounded like the the megaphone, but with meta the effect is reduced but still not gone completely. But Kef is a great speaker to refer to, for me that appreciate German companies more.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never knew the was was German.
He isn't, just my YT settings are in German language.

Let's hope somebody sends some Cantons to him soon so he can really understand what good sound actually is.
Am sure he would enjoy some good Cantons, now what someone likes better depends on many personal and individual factors.

Reactions: EdW
OP
D

dogmamann

He isn't, just my YT settings are in German language.

Am sure he would enjoy some good Cantons, now what someone likes better depends on many personal and individual factors.
True, to me they are definitely comparable speakers in terms of sound quality. They both sound good in different ways. I would like to see how the new references measure. To my ears, the cantons sounded better in terms of bass control, midrange transparency and treble extension than my reference 3 any day. Definitely an easy upgrade. I am not judging by materials here, but I think the ceramic coated tweeters on the cantons are way more natural than the sharp kefs

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
KEF lent him a pair. They must have felt really bad after he had to buy and sell with a loss a pair of LS60 for review... And we all know a good review is coming for the Blades, so it was the right thing to do.
Looking forward to seeing the review!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Erin seems to enjoy them a lot, looking forward to his review.

View attachment 355301
It will be interesting If Erin also experience the slight lack of very deep bass between 20-30 Hz that I experienced with the Kef blade 2 . This speaker seams to be slightly undertuned, so the deep bass might be more prominent with another placement of the speakers.
Otherwise a rather perfect sounding loudspeaker in my opinion. And beautiful.

OP
D

dogmamann

It will be interesting If Erin also experience the slight lack of very deep bass between 20-30 Hz that I experienced with the Kef blade 2 . This speaker seams to be slightly undertuned, so the deep bass might be more prominent with another placement of the speakers.
Otherwise a rather perfect sounding loudspeaker in my opinion. And beautiful.
You have a blade 2 ? Wow!

Descartes

Major Contributor
No, but I have listened to them :)
Well not quite the same as it depends on the room, the placement, the electronics the recordings, and as some others “Audiophiles” would say the cables, power cord, state of mind, the humidity level, the temperature, the time of day, the season, the light and smells in the room!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the Blade 2 Meta does not extend much below 35Hz anyway. This is from the KEF measurements available in Spinorama.org. Erin's data will dive deeper into dispersion, distortion and compression, but overall tonality should be very close to that below.

blade 2 EIR.jpg

And I have posted elsewhere but to repeat here, it is amazing how my Sointuva AWG measures close to the Blade 2 Meta, considering the price and size difference.

blade 2 meta x sointuva awg.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I have posted elsewhere but to repeat here, it is amazing how my Sointuva AWG measures close to the Blade 2 Meta, considering the price and size difference.
I am sure you know it but for other readers I would like to add though that generally a single curve like the PIR isn't by far enough to say that 2 loudspeakers are very similar as they can have for example different directivities and still be tuned to a very similar PIR (in this case they are quite similar but still not the same):

newplot.png

Also max SPL and distortions play a significant role where even a full spinorama is not enough, for example for max 85dB/1m it would be not impossible to design a loudspeaker under $1000 which gives a similar spin to both above.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. Still, tonality wise, they are remarkably similar.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Slight directivity mismatch on the mids and massive bass output difference, but other than that, yes, also quite similar.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Slight directivity mismatch on the mids and massive bass output difference, but other than that, yes, also quite similar.

Yes, the bass output is by design, so that is natural. :)

Top Bottom