• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows/Mac as passthrough device for DLBC

holland

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I hope I post this at the right place. I have a stereo setup with a Bluesound Node 2i --> coax --> Nad C388 --> speakers, and a active sub that is connected to the pre-out of my amp. I would like to add Dirac to my system including DLBC.

There is no MiniDSP supporting DLBC and the cheapest stereo streamer with DLBC is the NAD M66 for €6k. Of course there are AVRs but I don't even own a TV so I'm not sure how much sense that would make. Therefore I am interested in the idea of having a headless windows pc/mac mini that acts as an audio processor. It takes optical/coax from my Node as input, processes the signal and outputs it via a multi-channel DAC to my amp and subwoofer.

One requirement of my system is to support Spotify Connect that works for everybody on the local network (like a Chromecast). Currently, Spotify for PC only supports Connect between phone/pc for the same user account and doesn't open it up to whoever is on the network.

I would like to discuss your opinion on this idea. Would this work properly, and do you have a suggestion for hardware to use? Perhaps using the MiniDSP UDIO-8?

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR. I was not aware of that limitation with Spotify Connect on the PC. One solution would be to leave an unlocked tablet lying around for anybody to use? That's what I do at home, but I am on Tidal and the tablet runs BubbleUPNP. In fact, anybody on the same network with BubbleUPNP can send audio to the PC. However, BubbleUPNP does not support Spotify - local files, Qobuz, and Tidal only.

Your idea of sending digital from the Bluesound Node to the PC will work, but as @Apesbrain mentioned, additional hardware is required. I have not tried his Sound Blaster suggestion so I don't know how well it would work. It has an optical input, but routing the digital signal from the card into the convolver is a different matter. Maybe someone on ASR has tried it and they can let you know for sure if it works.

I do have an RME interface and I have sent digital through it into the PC and I can tell you that it definitely works. The problem with RME is that they are rather expensive.

The alternative, as you mention, is to use a MiniDSP. This will be far simpler and more convenient than a PC, and you don't have to worry about all the audio routing nightmares and the temperamental nature of a PC. You do lose the processing power of a PC, though.

OP
H

holland

Thank you! Maybe I should consider the tablet solution if I want to stay on a lower budget.

Other than that, the best I can come up with right now is as follow:
  • Buy a second hand lenovo thinkcentre (approx. €50)
  • Connect a RME Digiface USB (€440): use 1 input, 2 outputs
  • Simple DAC, like the SMSL PS100 (€30)
  • Dirac Live + DLBC combi license (€674)
1711722300449.png

As far as I understand from the manual, you are able to set the RME I/O as WDM devices, making them available for Dirac.

Quite a hassle, and still not 100% sure it will work at all. Makes me wonder if DLBC is really worth it over a simple MiniDSP with Dirac Live only.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You can simplify your setup by using a 4 channel interface and configuring your system like this:

1711733388955.png

Examples of 4 channel interfaces: RME Babyface Pro, Motu M4 (lacks optical input), Motu Ultralite Mk5 (this is an 8 channel interface but costs slightly more than RME's 4 channel interface). Both RME and Motu are used by many people on ASR and I can guarantee it will work.

The problem with your proposed configuration is that you will have no choice but to use a USB microphone. Although these are commonly used on ASR, the problem with USB mics is that they are not clock sync'ed to the DAC and thus gives you unreliable timing information. All the interfaces I mentioned support 48V Phantom Power condenser mics. The cheapest "decent" mic is an iSemCon EMX-7150, but many people use the Behringer ECM8000. Make sure you get one with the calibration file.

DLBC is not the only software that can perform bass correction and help you with subwoofer integration. It is probably one of the easier software packages to use because of all the automation. Its downside is that it is rather expensive, and to my knowledge it outputs proprietary filters so you must use the Dirac convolver. Other software packages you could consider include Audiolense, Acourate, and Focus Fidelity (all paid options) and REW/RePhase (free). All of these output standard .WAV files which you can host on any convolver you like.

The other thing to mention is that MiniDSP uses mixed phase filters and not FIR filters. To correct bass properly, you need to remove excess phase, and that is only possible with FIR filters. This is not to say that MiniDSP is useless, for sure you can use it and get some form of bass correction. But it won't be as fine a correction as what you could achieve with a FIR filter.

The depressing reality is that subwoofer correction is difficult. DLBC and other packages offer an automated solution to subwoofer correction, but you are relying on an algorithm to make decisions for you. This is both a weakness and a strength. It is great because it's easier for beginners. For the vast majority of the market, automation reduces user error which is the no. 1 reason for bad corrections. But nothing replaces a human making decisions. And that by itself is a very deep rabbit hole where stuff you have to learn never seems to end.

So you have to decide how much time and money you want to invest in this and how OCD you want to be. Easy, simple, cheap = go MiniDSP. Want something better = go DLBC / Focus Fidelity / Audiolense / etc. on a PC, but it will cost you.

racerx5280

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, I hope I post this at the right place. I have a stereo setup with a Bluesound Node 2i --> coax --> Nad C388 --> speakers, and a active sub that is connected to the pre-out of my amp. I would like to add Dirac to my system including DLBC.

There is no MiniDSP supporting DLBC and the cheapest stereo streamer with DLBC is the NAD M66 for €6k. Of course there are AVRs but I don't even own a TV so I'm not sure how much sense that would make. Therefore I am interested in the idea of having a headless windows pc/mac mini that acts as an audio processor. It takes optical/coax from my Node as input, processes the signal and outputs it via a multi-channel DAC to my amp and subwoofer.

One requirement of my system is to support Spotify Connect that works for everybody on the local network (like a Chromecast). Currently, Spotify for PC only supports Connect between phone/pc for the same user account and doesn't open it up to whoever is on the network.

I would like to discuss your opinion on this idea. Would this work properly, and do you have a suggestion for hardware to use? Perhaps using the MiniDSP UDIO-8?
Not related to your question as I use Audirvāna with Tidal and Qobuz streaming into SMSL D6s dac then XLR—>RCA into my NAD C388 anyway just wanted to share our taste in amps I absolutely love my NAD it’s driving a Klipsch 12” sub and a pair of Dynaudio Special 40s sounds great good luck with your setup!

Top Bottom