• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many people want a 12-channel or 16-channel DAC? And a 7-channel or 12/16-channel power amplifier?

Ibanez

Hello again @Ibanez,

I have been still much impressed by the design and software concept of ANTELOPE Orion Studio Synergy Core (OSSC) and Orion 32+ Gen3 (O32G3), especially the use of 12 (twelve!) of Cirrus Logics flagship 2-channel DAC chip CS43198 for total 24-Ch output by fully utilizing Antelope's traditional and proud (world-top-class?) clocking technology.

The Antelope's design concept would be greatly different from other major multichannel DAC-ADC manufacturers (MOTU, REM, Focusrite, TASCAM, et. al., and even Merging Technology); they use ESS or AKM multichannel DAC chips (usually 8-Ch per chip) for their multichannel DAC-ADC units.

And, as we know well, Antelope has been accumulating their SOTA technologies in audio clocking field becoming one of the world-leaders; I assume the combination of their clocking technology and one-flagship-DAC-chip-per-2-Ch design would effectively contribute excellent HiFi sound quality of all the DAC output channels. This aspect would be really important at least for me since I would like to use multichannel (more than 12-Ch) DAC(-ADC) unit in my home HiFi audio setup. Furthermore, I found on product introduction sites that OSSC and O32G3 can also act as master-clock-generator/distributor of 64-bit acoustically focused clocking, based on their oven-temperature-controlled SOTA crystal oscillator module.

On the other hand, after reviewing (and comparing) products from RME, Focusrite, MOTU, Merging Technology, I feel they would be recently much focusing on professional multi-I/O low-latency application such as live electric/electronic music concerts and/or hall sound remote organization/manipulation through the digital I/O over ethernet such as AVB, Dante, Ravenna. The selection of DAC chip in their products, however, looks still remaining in utilization of multichannel DAC chips like ES9016 (or 9018) C370 Sabre 32, ES9028S, ES90318S.

Of course I know well, that the output sound quality of these ESS DAC chips have already reached almost a high(est)-plateau HiFi level; actually I now use OKTO DAC8PRO having one ES9028PRO for 8-Ch out with much satisfactions; and the sound quality of DAC unit also depends on PS (capacitors) module and preamp module as well as on PCB design.

Very fortunately, ANTELOPE has fairly nice support and service network/organization (with good reputation) in Japan (the same for MOTU, RME, Focusrite, Merging Technology); and if possible, I would like to arrange my test/comparative session in my home audio setup/environment between Antelope OSSC (or O32G3) and MOTU 16A.

BTW, even quite belated, I also learned that the D-Sub 25 (DB25) analog outputs of OSSC (and other pro-use DAC-ADC) is standardized as called "TASCAM compatible" pin-order for DB25-to-8-male-XLR cables/adaptors widely and reasonably available also in Japan.
How did it went for you dualazmak?
Have you found anything that you have bought or consider buying as mch dac?
I ahve read your lengthy thread, it is interesting read i must say.
Bet regards

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did it went for you dualazmak?
Have you found anything that you have bought or consider buying as mch dac?
I ahve read your lengthy thread, it is interesting read i must say.
Bet regards

Thank you for your follow up message.

Okto DAC8PRO is working perfectly fine now, so I would like to have enough research and investigation (on desk, over the Internet) aiming towards implementation of 16-Ch (or 24-Ch) DAC (DAC-ADC, audio interface) in my multichannel multi-amplifier audio project.

I would like have at least 16-Ch sync multichannel DAC unit, 8-Ch Fq zones for each of L & R, i.e. total sum (15 Hz - 25 kHz), subwoofer (15 Hz -50 Hz), woofer (45 Hz - 500 Hz) , midrange (500Hz - 6kHz), tweeter (6 kHz - 25 kHz) and supertweeter (8.8 kHz - 25 kHz), plus two auxiliary Chs for future expansion. Of course there is budget ceiling for me on such possible 16-Ch (or 24-Ch) DAC (DAC-ADC) pro audio interfaces.

Consequently, as I wrote in my above posts, I am now focusing on MOTU 16A and ANTELOPE Orion Studio Synergy Core (OSSC). Fortunately I could find several nice intro and review YouTube video clips on 16A and OSSC, and I also found some nice review web articles in Japanese and/or English written by sound engineers using these DAC-ADC in their recording/mixing studios.

It is of my great interest that some of them actually pointed the amazing sound quality (as DACs) of OSSC related to the SOTA clocking technology of Antelope. Of course I downloaded the user manuals and now I am carefully reading them.

MOTU 16A is currently out of the stock in Japan (see my post here) due to worldwide semiconductor shortage, but it will be recovered rather soon, I believe. I also started conversation with Antelope for my some inquiries on OSSC.

As wrote in my post above, if possible, I would like to arrange my test/comparative sessions in my home audio setup/environment between OKTO DAC8PRO, Antelope OSSC and MOTU 16A, just like I have intensively done for amplifier selections (please refer to the summary post here).

I am not in a hurry, I will go forward slowly and steadily. In case if I would have major step-up, I would like to share it on my project thread.

Ibanez

And there is also Antelope Orion 32+/gen3 or gen4, but no micinputs on this unit, but the Orion 32+ Gen3 or 4 has 32ch i/o over dsub, which is really much channels for the price, especially if you can find gen3 on the used market. I hope you will find something that both sounds good and is as of what you need in terms of outputs.
Your big thread is very interesting and i have learned a lot by reading it. And i will follow you and see why and what you will choose.
Kimnd regards

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Ibanez and friends,

My recent post here would be of your possible interest, I assume.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello dear ASR friends,

Just for your info and reference, and if your DSP operation would be on Windows OS PCs, I started using VB-Audio Matrix (a donation software) as system-wide ASIO-VAIO routing center where I still use independent DSP EKIO as system-wide DSP (XO/EQ/Delay/Relative-Gain) control center, even though I mainly use JRiver MC as my audio(-visual) player.

Now we have a dedicated thread on VB-Audio Matrix, and you can also find here on my project thread details of my present multichannel routing using JRiver MC as well as other audio player such as web browsers, all feeding into DSP-EKIO under VB Matrix I/O configuration to give multichannel digital audio into multichannel DAC OKTO DAC8PRO then into multiple amplifiers in sync.

So far, VB-Audio Matrix is amazingly stable and robust in all of 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.2 kHz and 192 kHz operations acting as system-wide audio I/O center dominating all of the ASIO, VASIO, VAIO, WDM (WASAPI) audio devices/routings. I have already completely uninstalled, therefore, ASIO4ALL and VB-Audio Virtual/HiFi Cables.

Last edited:

Frunse

We need TOPPING to be great again.
I am also looking for an 16 Channel USB Dac, the only thing i found for now that i could pay is the MOTU Ao 24 (A bit to much Channels and all on SUB-D :( ) and Motu 16A but it cost 1600€ and for today not aviable in Germany and i dont neet analogue inputs. ;)

For now i use MOTU UL mk5 with an Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus on Toslink and one on SPDIF that gives me 14 Channels at all but i cant controll the Volume on the extra dacs only on that 10 Channels Analogue from Motu UL on the Fly.

So i can setup the Volume on the Dacs and Motu to an let say max Listening Value on all Channels and use the Digital Volume from CDSP for on the Fly Volumecontroll.
For around -20 dB to 0dB for my Listening preferences.

Robert

Frunse

I am also looking for an 16 Channel USB Dac, the only thing i found for now that i could pay is the MOTU Ao 24 (A bit to much Channels and all on SUB-D :( ) and Motu 16A but it cost 1600€ and for today not aviable in Germany and i dont neet analogue inputs. ;)

For now i use MOTU UL mk5 with an Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus on Toslink and one on SPDIF that gives me 14 Channels at all but i cant controll the Volume on the extra dacs only on that 10 Channels Analogue from Motu UL on the Fly.

So i can setup the Volume on the Dacs and Motu to an let say max Listening Value on all Channels and use the Digital Volume from CDSP for on the Fly Volumecontroll.
For around -20 dB to 0dB for my Listening preferences.

Robert
So guys need to say i made it right this way:

Ordered an second MOTU UL mk5 to get at all 16 Channels with 96kHz

First one gives me 10 Channels and Second one 6 additional Analogue Channels (ADAT and SPDIF at 96kHz) with own Volume Control but possible to sync Visualy on Screen.

So i Use first Motu for Stereo 2x3Way and 2x2 Way (Back left + Right) and second one for Center and Surround Back Right and Left all 2Way's
Subwoofer Mixed in to the Front Speaker 2x 2Way + 2x Subs

Other Optoins are all Expensiv and not sure if its runs on Linux.

Motu Ao24 (1250€) or Motu A16 (1600€)

If i would starts from Scratch may be Ao24 would do it.

Also here to reaad about this Project: So mutch Channels makes sense for Multichannel ;)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easier-and-cheaper.48233/page-16#post-1926763

Robert

Last edited:
Top Bottom