• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me understand how the Ascend Acoustics Horizon Center compares to Revel C208 please

GabrielPhoto

Hello.
So the Ascend gets a slightly higher Preference Score yet it seems from reading the actual evaluation the the C208 may be the superior center speaker. I have read that Preference score is also heavily influenced by bass performance and is not as useful as one may think?

Anyway, just wondering if someone can give me an idea of how they compare overall. Big price difference if buying new as well but I just want to feel I picked a great center for my system. I was also considering the Pendragon by Tekton but there is hardly anything regarding reviews or test about it. Kind of a blind faith shot with that one.
Thanks!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The scores w/sub are 7.2 vs 7.5, so half the baseline score difference(4.7 vs 5.3) is bass response. Pref score requires around 1pt difference to be significant, so you can ignore the scores in this case. They provide no information.

The C208 is better designed as a HT speaker because it sacrifices bass response for ability to play loud, the 96dB distortion is a solid 20dB or more lower than the Ascend. This is important because the center plays loudest of all HT speakers.

The use of a ribbon tweeter in the Ascend can also get you into trouble, the vertical directivity is super narrow, at 10 degrees off-axis there are already major irregularities. So you need to be very sure of the height of your center relative to potential listening position heights.

index.php

The C208 also has a little bit wider horizontal directivity, but that's probably not too significant.

Both of these centers are pretty good -- as I would expect for their prices -- but the C208 is better. The Ascend comes in a dome tweeter version as well but we don't have measurements for that. If it's well-executed, then it's probably a better *value* at only $1300.

Last edited:
OP
G

GabrielPhoto

The scores w/sub are 7.2 vs 7.5, so half the baseline score difference(4.7 vs 5.3) is bass response. Pref score requires around 1pt difference to be significant, so you can ignore the scores in this case. They provide no information.

The C208 is better designed as a HT speaker because it sacrifices bass response for ability to play loud, the 96dB distortion is a solid 20dB or more lower than than the Ascend. This is important because the center plays loudest of all HT speakers.

The use of a ribbon tweeter in the Ascend can also get you into trouble, the vertical directivity is super narrow, at 10 degrees off-axis there are already major irregularities. So you need to be very sure of the height of your center relative to potential listening position heights.

index.php

The C208 also has a little bit wider horizontal directivity, but that's probably not too significant.

Both of these centers are pretty good -- as I would expect for their prices -- but the C208 is better. The Ascend comes in a dome tweeter version as well but we don't have measurements for that. If it's well-executed, then it's probably a better *value* at only $1300.
Thanks a lot for the details. I think I will stick to my quest of a used C208 then. :)

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I also wonder why have 8" drivers if the bass is not going to be any better? Like in what way 8" drivers are beneficial then?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wonder why have 8" drivers if the bass is not going to be any better? Like in what way 8" drivers are beneficial then?
I think you maybe misunderstood, when I said "bass response" I was referring to frequencies below sub crossover. The 8" drivers in the C208 still allow it to play louder with less distortion above the sub up to the woofer crossover at 375hz. That's why the distortion is better.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

+How does it compare to the Kef R series and the SVS Ultra.......
I had the Ultra and I pick the THX 365c over it. It was not bad but overall the Monolith was better and cheaper.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own the Horizon RAAL center and most importantly it's tonality is spot on:
index.php

Horizontal dispersion is also well above average:
index.php

This is important for use as a center channel. You can see that the off-axis response stays pretty even all the way out to ~16kHz even around 90 degrees off-axis. This kind of wide and even horizontal dispersion is not something many speakers at it's price point are capable of. Compare that against the C208:
index.php

The Horizon is also ~90dB sensitive and, despite the above commentary, it is what I would call a low distortion center channel. Especially when taking into consideration it's size and output capability. It is designed to be crossed over properly with subs:

index.php

Compare this against the C208:
index.php

I don't think you can really go wrong with either speaker! They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
+How does it compare to the Kef R series and the SVS Ultra.......

Erin measured the KEF R2C here.

I haven't seen comparable measurements for the SVS Ultra center speaker. Somebody send one to Erin or Amir!

Beave

Major Contributor
I'd say all three (Ascend, Revel, KEF) are comparably good, each with strengths and weaknesses relative to each other.

Really cranking up the levels? The Revel might be the best.

Sitting far to the side? The Ascend might be the best.

Sitting far above or below the axis? The Ascend might be the *worst,* and the KEF the best.

Really depends on room, seating positions, listening habits, looks, budget, etc.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Looks like you ended up with the C208. How are you liking it @GabrielPhoto ?
Love it. While I still want to keep testing more (is addictive) so far, nothing can touch the C208 and at the sales price even better.
Last one I tested not on that thread yet is the Polk L400. Very very nice center but to my ears, is not able to match the C208.
Still hoping to test the C426be one day and keeping an eye on the new PSA M212 stuff

buzwork

Love it. While I still want to keep testing more (is addictive) so far, nothing can touch the C208 and at the sales price even better.
Last one I tested not on that thread yet is the Polk L400. Very very nice center but to my ears, is not able to match the C208.
Still hoping to test the C426be one day and keeping an eye on the new PSA M212 stuff
I have a very similar reaction after replacing my front stage (C25, M105s) with the C208 & F206s. The C208 is really really hard to beat in the price range. I think the only center I've heard that I know for sure would be a worthy upgrade is the Focal Viva Utopia Center... but it's 10x the price.

I haven't found a local shop that carries the C426be but you've got me curious now. I'll have to check in with my local Revel dealers to see if one of them can get one in for me to demo.

Top Bottom