• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amplifier for driving low-impedance 'phones

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fellow members,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced and powerful headphone amplifier sans DAC to drive low-impedance 'phones like the HE-560s. I would prefer to avoid any device with a high output impedance, such as the Topping A30. I do not care about balanced drive, which I view as a solution in search of a problem.

The Massdrop THX AAA 789 would suit, but I do not want to wait until February to take delivery.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if you've checked this out already, but Innerfidelity has measured quite a few. The JDS Labs O2 seems to measure best of those they've tested, is pretty cheap, and has output impedance under 1 Ohm (I've never heard it myself though).

derp1n

Arcam rHead or Gilmore Lite mk2?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if you've checked this out already, but Innerfidelity has measured quite a few. The JDS Labs O2 seems to measure best of those they've tested, is pretty cheap, and has output impedance under 1 Ohm (I've never heard it myself though).

Thanks for the tip! Impressive measurements indeed. The only problems may be intermodulation distortion, as explained here, and insufficient juice to power the insensitive Hifiman HE-560s. I also don't like the use of batteries, but I'd just leave them out and power the O2 from the wall wart.

derp1n

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip! Impressive measurements indeed. The only problems may be intermodulation distortion, as explained here, and insufficient juice to power the insensitive Hifiman HE-560s. I also don't like the use of batteries, but I'd just leave them out and power the O2 from the wall wart.

Yeh, looks to me like you'd get about 110dB RMS into the HE-650s. Would be plenty for me but YMMV.

The IM distortion is described as "not fantastic" in that Neurochrome article but I don't see it personally. We're looking at better than 0.01% in the worst case scenario they measured (which is definitely going to be worse than any real-world conditions with music), and that is more than 80dB below the signal level. It's not SOTA performance but it would be extremely unlikely to be audible IMHO.

I do think you'll find something that measures better though in the under $500 price range - just not sure you'll be able to hear it.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Are you ready to sell these? I'm curious.
About 6 weeks. I'm happy with the prototype performance but waiting for the proper PCBs to be manufactured.

I will post some technical details later. You might like to try out the prototype, it may be doing a bit of a tour. :)

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
As mentioned here are the headline specs of the unit:

Total harmonic distortion + noise (SINAD)

1 kHz, POUT = 10 mW, RL = 128 Ω, 0.000071% –123 dB
1 kHz, POUT = 10 mW, RL = 32 Ω, 0.000158% –116 dB
1 kHz, POUT = 10 mW, RL = 16 Ω, 0.000224% –113 dB

IMD Intermodulation distortion
SMPTE/DIN two-tone, 4:1 (60 Hz and 7 kHz), G = 1, VO = 3 VRMS, RL = 2 kΩ, 0.000018% –135 dB
CCIF twin-tone (19 kHz and 20 kHz), G = 1, VO = 3 VRMS, RL = 2 kΩ, 0.000032% –130 dB

index.php

The amplifier achieves a very low, 2.8-nV/√Hz noise density with an ultra-low THD+N of –119 dB at 1 kHz and drives a 32-Ω load at 150- mW output power. That will drive insensitive HE560 to about 108dB, but further with a little more distortion (-119dB is practically non existent distortion :) ).

Note that I do have my own measurements but the performance of the unit exceeds that of my measurement equipment. Amir will be independently measuring the first production unit.

There will be changes to the casework, such as flush headphone socket and balanced inputs as well as the RCAs (this may be a combined XLR / TRS or just balanced TRS. Also possibly a standby button on the front panel. This standby button completely eliminates any power on/off pops and clicks, even though they are negligible at the moment. Cosmetics will change, powder coat and different colour options possibly (when I see the samples come back in the next couple of weeks).

Now, the controversial bit - I am not planning any type of volume control unless there is overwhelming feedback to to do so. Analogue volume pots are horrid, they introduce noise, and have poor balance tracking. Switched resistors are much better, but still in my view an unnecessary complication and still degrade performance. Volume control performed digitally at 32 or 64 bit resolution is better. Probably still a lot of "angst" out there against this, but I have zero issues with my media software, Roon or J River performing volume control.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The Matrix HPA-3B.

The Massdrop offer is currently off but it comes on once in a while. I got mine from there at US$340/-.
0.4 Ohm on single-ended and 0.6 Ohm on balanced.

Its Class A, so headphones with high transitional impedance requirements should not trouble it.
With power in spades to boot.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Arcam rHead is a great option for the sort of prices it can be found for nowadays. However if your local market is still charging the much higher SRP then it may be on the pricey side.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Impressive specs BE718!
I am not on the market for an headphone amplifier as I don't use headphones (I bought a pair of THX 789 amps solely to drive compression drivers ;) ), but if I were I would probably be very interested in your design (no need for the extreme power levels the THX amp can produce for headphones IMHO, albeit it is welcome for compression drivers ;) ).

Now, the controversial bit - I am not planning any type of volume control unless there is overwhelming feedback to to do so. Analogue volume pots are horrid, they introduce noise, and have poor balance tracking. Switched resistors are much better, but still in my view an unnecessary complication and still degrade performance. Volume control performed digitally at 32 or 64 bit resolution is better. Probably still a lot of "angst" out there against this, but I have zero issues with my media software, Roon or J River performing volume control.

That makes sense, but having a choice of gain settings would be nice to avoid large mismatches like having a 24dBu DAC feeding an amplifier with a 8dBu sensitivity.

Quick question: does having an analog pot hurt if you keep it at the maximum position? I am under the impression that any tracking issue or electrical misbehavior would be avoided that way, with the pot acting as a bare wire. That is at least what I am hopping for the THX amp...

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
All things being equal having the volume at max should minimise its effect, it shouldn't be detrimental.

I hear you about sensitivity, but this will initially be designed for a nominal 2 v rms input for single ended.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
HE-560 is not low-impedance, it's 45 Ohms can actually. I would call low-impedance IEM's between 8-16 Ohms instead. :)

However, my HE-560 pairs nicely with Burson PLAY, FUN and my modded BANG, but also with Matrix HPA-3B and the ASUS Essence One internal's amplifier (2 x LME49720 outputing 7V RMS). I kinda like Burson's more, but I'm probably getting subjective now.

P.S.: Objective2 has enough power to drive HE-560, but I've seen some output buffers fried on Head-Fi users and can't recommend this amp to drive planars.

Top Bottom