• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good read at Archimago

fas42

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
He's a Canadian Frank, from Vancouver, B.C.

OP
fas42

fas42

Major Contributor
Ahhh, a bright boy, then ... :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Yes, it is allowed to say that. We could also say that he's well respected by his peers in social audio communities frequented by inventors, scientists, mathematicians, entrepreneurs, engineers and philosophers. ...And audiophiles and musicians too.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is allowed to say that. We could also say that he's well respected by his peers in social audio communities frequented by inventors, scientists, mathematicians, entrepreneurs, engineers and philosophers. ...And audiophiles and musicians too.

Michael Lavorgna banned him @ Audio$tream if that is any indication as to his bona fides.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, he banned me, too. That must mean Lavorgna knows what he is doing.

I was banned by him years ago. My main issue is, and it's provable, he makes stuff up. Nothing he has to say about any item of SQ has any worth.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I was banned by him years ago. My main issue is, and it's provable, he makes stuff up. Nothing he has to say about any item of SQ has any worth.
Oh, it's even worse than that, because he claims to have a modicum of technical smarts about networking and other technical stuff in computer and audio system hookup. Except, he is an ass and his bosses are too dumb to know. Hey, he is their computer audio "expert". His bosses are clueless.

He is pathetic, but he got himself a gig and a blog from which to broadcast his ignorance. Not that this is a problem in this day and age, starting at at certain address on Pennsylvania Ave. But, he has run out of things to say, and his "reviews" of equipment and the "all important wires" between them are now few and far between. He may be running out of advertisers to brown nose.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Michael Lavorgna banned him @ Audio$tream if that is any indication as to his bona fides.

Banning got nothing to do with it. Scientists, inventors, acousticians, audio writers get banned all the time by bullies.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, it's even worse than that, because he claims to have a modicum of technical smarts about networking and other technical stuff in computer and audio system hookup. d far between.

I've yet see him make any comment that would lead me to believe he as any technicals in networking or server implementation, design, or roll out etc... He parrots stuff he doesn't understand and then gets flustered when someone uses the sources he is quoting from to show why his assumptions were all incorrect.

I just got done with this sort of thing where people are upgrading the TCX's on their network adapters claiming SQ improvements. They post a paper and I'm able to use same said and show them the paper actually supports my position. They are a strange crowd. Not only will they hang themselves they gleefully bring the rope.

I noticed this proclivity in the digital side of computer audio with BlueFox @ WBF believing that jitter was stored in the actual .WAV/.FLAC whatever audio file on a hard drive. BF bringing white papers by IBM into the thread and experiencing a 100% reading comprehension failure.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lavorgna is a computer audio expert????? Is he any kind of expert? Wow, how can anyone consider him a computer network expert?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
believing that jitter was stored in the actual .WAV/.FLAC

Jitter in the original recording (ADC jitter) is stored in any WAV/FLAC file, as slightly skewed sample values, is it not?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Lavorgna is a computer audio expert????? Is he any kind of expert? Wow, how can anyone consider him a computer network expert?
He claimed to me in some private exchanges he had previously been a principal in an IT consulting firm, specializing in networking. We were heatedly but privately "discussing" his endordsement of those ridiculous AudioQuest Ethernet cables. His contention was they "sounded better" because of their ability to prevent noise because of superior shielding. I said if noise shielding in Ethernet is what you are after, go fiber optic. That is what they use in heavy industrial plants, elevator shafts, etc. But, you just do not have that kind of EMI/RFI noise problem in the home that cannot be solved by ordinary Ethernet cables. He was totally unaware of that possibility. Besides, fiberoptic is much cheaper than AudioQuest cable, although suppliers are unlikely to purchase ad space, as AQ already had done. It is clear to me that he inflated and fabricated his IT credentials. I told him so.

BTW, his loudly proclaimed, published "proof" of concept for the pervasive influence of noise in digital, computer audio was that an analog interconnect between his phono cartridge and phono preamp picked up audibly degrading noise when it was run close to his computer. Ergo, Ethernet cables were equally likely to carry degrading noise polluting the signal we hear. And, that was why AQ Ethernet cables were worth every penny of the $thousands per meter for their pure silver versions. However, that would be, typically, the Ethernet cables between NAS, switch, and PC upstream from PC to DAC via a USB cable. Gosh, who knew!

Trying to reason with him about this went as expected. I was ousted shortly thereafter.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He claimed to me in some private exchanges he had previously been a principal in an IT consulting firm, specializing in networking. ...

Could be true. Sales and marketing manager, office manager, CFO... plenty of principal roles that don't require technical knowledge. That doesn't excuse his posing, though.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Agree completely. He is a fraud, but then my hunch is that is true across most of audio reviewers, for example, except for a very few good guys. To me, it is like movies. 95% of them are crap. The other 5% are pure gold. The King and the Kal of audio are two of them.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jitter in the original recording (ADC jitter) is stored in any WAV/FLAC file, as slightly skewed sample values, is it not?

That was never a point of the dialectic. Everyone understood that anything prior to the ADC gets stored as a value. Here is the original WBF thread. The point that I believe we finally got across, was that the file on the way from a service provider, or across your network, or from the HDD/SDD could have some jitter but it's never stored as part of the file.

Soon as the data hits something static like a buffer or NV storage all jitter bets are off.

Here is a doozy of a thread. A Prof. of EE none the less. Linky.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He claimed to me in some private exchanges he had previously been a principal in an IT consulting firm, specializing in networking. We were heatedly but privately "discussing" his endordsement of those ridiculous AudioQuest Ethernet cables. His contention was they "sounded better" because of their ability to prevent noise because of superior shielding. I said if noise shielding in Ethernet is what you are after, go fiber optic. That is what they use in heavy industrial plants, elevator shafts, etc. But, you just do not have that kind of EMI/RFI noise problem in the home that cannot be solved by ordinary Ethernet cables. He was totally unaware of that possibility. Besides, fiberoptic is much cheaper than AudioQuest cable, although suppliers are unlikely to purchase ad space, as AQ already had done. It is clear to me that he inflated and fabricated his IT credentials. I told him so.

BTW, his loudly proclaimed, published "proof" of concept for the pervasive influence of noise in digital, computer audio was that an analog interconnect between his phono cartridge and phono preamp picked up audibly degrading noise when it was run close to his computer. Ergo, Ethernet cables were equally likely to carry degrading noise polluting the signal we hear. And, that was why AQ Ethernet cables were worth every penny of the $thousands per meter for their pure silver versions. However, that would be, typically, the Ethernet cables between NAS, switch, and PC upstream from PC to DAC via a USB cable. Gosh, who knew!

Trying to reason with him about this went as expected. I was ousted shortly thereafter.

Well I don't think anyone would say one of Lavorgna's strong points is reasoning ability. It can drive one mad, the primitive tribal beliefs of audiophiles based upon such flimsy ideas. As always prior to going to thousand dollar plus solutions to believed interference in short cables of course one could do various optical connections. Of course that eliminates the possibility, and more than fear of the noise I think fear of no possible improvement with money spent is one thing a certain niche of audiophile fears more than anything.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That was never a point of the dialectic. Everyone understood that anything prior to the ADC gets stored as a value. Here is the original WBF thread. The point that I believe we finally got across, was that the file on the way from a service provider, or across your network, or from the HDD/SDD could have some jitter but it's never stored as part of the file.

Soon as the data hits something static like a buffer or NV storage all jitter bets are off.

Here is a doozy of a thread. A Prof. of EE none the less. Linky.

Wow, I couldn't stomach too much of that thread. I think I have developed an aversion and hypersensitivity to non-sense seen there.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, I couldn't stomach too much of that thread. I think I have developed an aversion and hypersensitivity to non-sense seen there.

Dude, that's comedy gold right there. A Professor of EE stating the Fast Transient Noise can make into the static file.... I hope I don't own any electronics either developed by him or his students. Then again I do have a box of dead, pos, electronics.

Top Bottom