• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

JSmith

Master Contributor
He just does some work for them.
To be clear, paid work and paid sponsorship on his own channel... hence this glowing article;

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While "golden sound" might be an internet sensation....meh.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't that AES paper highly criticized?

If ringing in the hypothesis, why not prove it? Finding ringing must be trivial, right? It should show up in a simple spectrum analysis of the diff, or even looking at the the waveforms compared to the original. Some food for thought:

Let me answer my own question: because the answer is in the way of pushing nonsense technology like MQA...

The truth is, none of these effects that are easy to hear if at all., despite oceans of audiophile (and shameless industry) claims to the contrary.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And basing your positive blind test results on pathological listening levels and repeat training on a 'tell' moment is , frankly, bullshit. It's got zero to do with what people experience in normal listening.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The truth is, none of these effects that are easy to hear if at all., despite oceans of audiophile (and shameless industry) claims to the contrary.

there is one SRC in Foobar (it has two) that seams to be pretty bad in it's normal setting. could be used for testing

1715132369331.png

OP
M

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And basing your positive blind test results on pathological listening levels and repeat training on a 'tell' moment is , frankly, bullshit. It's got zero to do with what people experience in normal listening.
But again, this is similar to what Amir did passing the high-res vs redbook ABX test. I would say, passing a blind test is passing a blind test, the person who did it is able to hear a difference. How much that matters is, of course, a totally different story. In the both cases at hand, not very much, if at all, as the master quality is much more important than the sample rate or bit depth and the sound of various DAC filters are diffferent only ever so slightly, if at all. But as a proof of principle, there are audible differences.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Some curous stuff has passed 'peer review' at AES.

Peer review is not there to determine whether a paper is factually correct or not. That's up to the scientific community to decide. It is there to make sure the methods have been adequately described, the statistical analysis is correct. A lot of reviewers don't even check if the conclusion logically follows from the evidence. This is why many academic papers aren't worth the paper it's printed on. I hear from my academic friends in other fields that the same problem infests physics papers as much as medical literature.

OP
M

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Peer review is not there to determine whether a paper is factually correct or not. That's up to the scientific community to decide. It is there to make sure the methods have been adequately described, the statistical analysis is correct. A lot of reviewers don't even check if the conclusion logically follows from the evidence. This is why many academic papers aren't worth the paper it's printed on. I hear from my academic friends in other fields that the same problem infests physics papers as much as medical literature.
A lot of reviewers don't even check the methods, numerics or whatever, or let papers from befriended groups pass on any grounds. Peer review is like democracy, not very good, but the least bad system available. It does not guarantee correct results, but is a first filter to set it apart from a random opinion of some guy in the internet. Many papers that originally have passed peer review and were published in the most respected journals like Nature, Science or Physical Review Letters were later retracted. So taken the fact that something has passed peer review as equivalent to that it must be true is a grave fallacy.

Last edited:

VientoB

To be clear, paid work and paid sponsorship on his own channel... hence this glowing article;

JSmith
Of course it’s paid work.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Nobody is going to put a serious amount of work into creating YouTube content for no monetary reward.
Would you say this about Amir's ASR channel for example, i.e. the purpose of it is to make money? From my understanding the purpose is to provide information and educate people. ;)

So Cameron is there to make money off this... always seems to be seeking that next "viral" video.

You've not been here for long, so I assume you missed the part years back where Cameron threatened Amir with a false tax matter, amongst ridiculous other accusations of impropriety. It's ironic he now seeks the cashola and sponsors.

JSmith

VientoB

Would you say this about Amir's ASR channel for example, i.e. the purpose of it is to make money? From my understanding the purpose is to provide information and educate people. ;)

So Cameron is there to make money off this... always seems to be seeking that next "viral" video.

You've not been here for long, so I assume you missed the part years back where Cameron threatened Amir with a false tax matter, amongst ridiculous other accusations of impropriety. It's ironic he now seeks the cashola and sponsors.

JSmith
I’m sure amir does make money from his YouTube content, since it does get a significant number of views.

The Headphone Show is aimed at working to improve audio in headphones. A significant amount of time is put into that pursuit and as such you would expect financial reward for your time.

People get jealous when they see people making money doing something they enjoy.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Done testing. I did not find any tells this time either. I would really like to see this 20-trial experiment repeated in 10 successive sessions. If anyone of them get 18/20, I might believe it.
Better you than me.
I won't even try! already biased.
I don't believe I would hear anything & most probably won't.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, the last video was 4 months ago. That's not a good basis if you want to make serious money of off it. So, I don't think @amirm has the ambition to become a YouTube influencer, and we all know he doesn't do it for the money ;)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. Tedious stuff. Nobody is going to put a serious amount of work into creating YouTube content for no monetary reward.
People do what they do for 1 million different reasons. Making money off of it immediately is not the only reason. People who do not have a lot of money overestimate its value for those who have it.

VientoB

People do what they do for 1 million different reasons. Making money off of it immediately is not the only reason. People who do not have a lot of money overestimate its value for those who have it.
Well yes. Clearly GS really enjoys headphones, the technical side of audio, listening to music, learning, and discussing the whole subject. He’s also quite articulate with good presentation skills and that helps immensely in communicating with your audience.

Top Bottom