• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi V3 Style Preamplifier

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
@Fosi Audio - Any update for us regarding a multi-input solid state preamp in the V3 series? OF all the things you have indicated you are working on, that's the one I'm most interested in.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
in one of the manuals they already shown line drawings of it

its going to be the "ZD3" and it looks same form factor as the ZA3 and it most likely going to be a single XLR input, multi RCA input with dual outs + remote... and line stage only

there's questions whether it will include a dac but most likely not

and that's really it

OP
J

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I got a hint from the Schiit folks a few weeks ago that they are working on some form of replacement for the Saga S preamp, which I came close to buying many times. What I really, really want, as the old song goes, is something like the Saga S but with a phono pre option included. A modern version of the classic 80s preamp, all with RCA inputs rather than XLR.

The Saga S was about $300, the way things go at Schiit I would expect that whatever they are working on, it will be more money. So I've been hoping that whatever Fosi is working on, it will have enough functionality that I can buy that and use for awhile.

I think the all-solid-state "preamp hole" right now is glaring, I am kinda surprised that one of the Chinese manufacturers have not jumped on it quicker.

I have a NAD 1020 in good nick that I still use from time to time when needed, also a Nikko Beta 20 (has rack ears and no headphone out, alas). They both sound pretty good but neither has a stepped attenuator or remote.

Since I have no urgent need, I just sit on my hands...continue to watch the Hypex evolution etc. My ideal new main rig would be like the Schiit Vidar and Saga, but Hypex-based Class D, not A/B, and with a matching full-featured preamp, all for about$1,000. I continue to watch Buckeye to see what the feature set will be on their new integrated offering. A front power button is a must for me, ditto a good attenuator and remote.

Last edited:

JimBean

I got a hint from the Schiit folks a few weeks ago that they are working on some form of replacement for the Saga S preamp, which I came close to buying many times. What I really, really want, as the old song goes, is something like the Saga S but with a phono pre option included. A modern version of the classic 80s preamp, all with RCA inputs rather than XLR.

The Saga S was about $300, the way things go at Schiit I would expect that whatever they are working on, it will be more money. So I've been hoping that whatever Fosi is working on, it will have enough functionality that I can buy that and use for awhile.

I think the all-solid-state "preamp hole" right now is glaring, I am kinda surprised that one of the Chinese manufacturers have not jumped on it quicker.

I have a NAD 1020 in good nick that I still use from time to time when needed, also a Nikko Beta 20 (has rack ears and no headphone out, alas). They both sound pretty good but neither has a stepped attenuator or remote.

Since I have no urgent need, I just sit on my hands...continue to watch the Hypex evolution etc. My ideal new main rig would be like the Schiit Vidar and Saga, but Hypex-based Class D, not A/B, and with a matching full-featured preamp, all for about$1,000. I continue to watch Buckeye to see what the feature set will be on their new integrated offering. A front power button is a must for me, ditto a good attenuator and remote.
I'm currently using the original Schiit Saga, which I guess is now the Saga+. I got it for a good deal, normally not a fan of tubes outside of my guitar amps. The tube buffer just seems to boost the volume a bit, at least as far as I can tell. It's a really nice preamp. I'm very interested in the new Fosi preamp, especially if there's tone controls and an XLR input(s). Ideally I'd like a Schiit preamp with balanced inputs and tone controls, but that doesn't seem to be in their design philosophy. And would affect sales of their Loki eqs, I would imagine.

OP
J

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, tone controls would be nice to have, especially ones that would have a tone defeat switch to allow one to bypass if wanted.

Basically I want a preamp with all of the features of, say, a current Yamaha A-S501 integrated!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
temper your expectations

i mean its going to be limited by case size... and it has xlr which will take up a lot of space.... IN and OUT

and i doubt fosi are interested in phono or loops

they are going for basic line stage

BUT wouldnt surprise me if they slap in bluetooth!

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A 300 euro preamp with a streamer could be interesting 600 euros for all 3 things (with a little discount 600 or even 499)

Top Bottom