• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A8 Announced

Times

Oh boy, here we go again. Don't you ever get tired of singing the same old song of any NAD devices being superior to every other possible solution, @pogo?

miniDSP (max. 96kHz) and the mentioned Purifi do not come close to the performance level of the M33.

And why exactly should that be the case?

By the way, Soundstagehifi seems to be a very, very credible source for information...

Exploring the sound

There are different ways to audition audio cables. Some maintain that you should insert one cable at a time, noting the changes that occur, and then move on to the next cable until, eventually, all cables in the system have been replaced. While I understand that reasoning, I don’t particularly like that methodology. It has been my experience that mixing and matching cable brands can lead to odd and even misleading results. You could wind up hearing the interactions between the varying cable brands in the system instead of the sonic signature of the cable under test. Nothing exists in a vacuum. So instead -- and this seems to be the thinking of those who make cables, as well -- I think that switching out an entire system of cables will lead to more straightforward and repeatable results, and allow the listener to gain an accurate sonic picture of what the brand has to offer. So I cleared out all the cables in my system -- mainly those from Nordost and AudioQuest -- and inserted the Explorers in one fell swoop.

It wasn’t difficult to hear the difference. As I played various cuts over the course of a couple of hours, I found the overall sound was wide open, often sounding big and spacious, and always fast...

MingChops

I need your opinion now.

Do I get a lot of quality loss when I use Matrix Mini i4 -> XLR to TRS -> MiniDSP Flex TRS -> TRS to XLR -> Audiophonics 1TE400.

Or would you rather spend more money and buy a NAD M33?
It's very easy to skip that extra ADC/DAC, a few options:

1) miniDSP SHD -> XLR -> Audiophonics 1TE400
(This gives you Dirac at 96khz, and an analogue input too, with only a single ADC/DAC stage).

or, if you want a different/better software then use another streamer with digital out, go:

2) 'another streamer' -> digital -> miniDSP Flex TRS -> TRS to XLR -> Audiophonics 1TE400
(Still a single ADC/DAC stage, but a draw back to this route is Dirac will run at 48khz).

So if you want to use Dirac at 96khz, and also your own choice of state of the art DAC, go:

3) 'streamer' -> digtial -> miniDSP SHD Studio -> digital -> 'choice of DAC' -> XLR -> Audiophonics 1TE400
(This is Dirac at 96khz, single ADC/DAC, and can still have an analogue input still via the 'streamer' - it's more boxes, but also more flexible in choice of components so this option would be my choice given what you seem to want, or, wait for the M66).

Edit: just to say if not obvious, then volume control in all these scenarios is by the miniDSP in each of the chains.

Edit edit!: Didn't realise the Matrix doesn't have digital out, that's pretty garbage, but easily enough substitute the Matrix for a 'streamer' of choice with both digital out and an analogue in, Bluesound Node for example would be fine if not using it's internal DAC.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
And why exactly should that be the case?
Performance depends on physical implementation and system-level circuitry/configuration (thermal system, power supply section, ...). The NAD M33 seems to have a very good power supply section and use the capabilities of the first purifi design well. There is even still headroom: Dynamic power (<1% THD, 2ohm): 815W
See also here: Link

NAD (also Lyngdorf & T+A) does not use the stock modules and realizes its own implementation (licensed the technology from Purifi).
NAD Purifi modules are tolerated tighter in pairs and matched 'in-house', so that the bridge mode works well at all.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually don't care.
I just want the best possible sound with my requirements above.
From your previous posts It seems like you are trying to integrate a turn table and use DSP. The Eversolo doesn't run the analog in through their DSP but you could use an analog to digital converter and connect through digital if you want the Eversolo. The simplest would be a MiniDSP SHD or one of the NADs. I'm not sure why you're trying to make this complicated and no need to worry about conversion rates of 24/48 or 32/96 or 24/192 as you're not going to be able to hear any difference.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Companies do tend to say something along those lines, it helps to add value, Purifi amps measure pretty well in stock form don’t they?
Keith

Times

And while all of that sounds really great and might even be true, it just doesn’t make any audible difference in 99,x% of the use cases…

And you know that it doesn’t, which is the reason you tend to answer as vaguely as possible to any reply that questions your narrative.

At this point it’s not even possible to accuse you of surreptitious advertising, since it’s so blatantly obvious.

Isn’t that the reason why you eventually got banned in other forums?

Dr.Deadwax

@MingChops very good thoughts.
I would just like to use it to control the volume when the TV is on.

If the Matrix had an adjustable digital output everything wouldn't be a problem. However, I can't immediately think of a streamer that has both HDMI, a digital out and a decent ADC.

But I think I'm leaning towards the standalone devices rather than the NAD M33. On the one hand, it is extremely expensive and on the other hand, a device like the one I want may come onto the market in the near future (with functions like the M66, only at a lower price). Then I can easily replace the Matrix and MiniDSP with this one and I think I will enjoy the Audiophonics for a long time.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, I can't immediately think of a streamer that has both HDMI, a digital out and a decent ADC
Other than the Eversolo DMP-A8 or one of the NADs I can't either unless you do separate boxes

MingChops

@MingChops very good thoughts.
I would just like to use it to control the volume when the TV is on.

If the Matrix had an adjustable digital output everything wouldn't be a problem. However, I can't immediately think of a streamer that has both HDMI, a digital out and a decent ADC.

But I think I'm leaning towards the standalone devices rather than the NAD M33. On the one hand, it is extremely expensive and on the other hand, a device like the one I want may come onto the market in the near future (with functions like the M66, only at a lower price). Then I can easily replace the Matrix and MiniDSP with this one and I think I will enjoy the Audiophonics for a long time.
TV means ideally HDMI ARC is needed then I guess, off the top of my head I can't think of one, besides the DMP-A8, but that's very expensive to not use it's DAC if then outputting to an SHD Studio for Dirac. I would suggest you could well still get utility from a Node as it has ARC and it's digital output is excellent. I am however not sure on it's ADC, it's Toslink input was measured as poor, but the ADC I don't see measurements for that. I suspect for vinyl it'll probably be good enough?

There's also the miniDSP Flex HT, has HDMI ARC, but being a Flex product is capped at 48khz Dirac.

I think you're basically (like me) waiting for the M66 - as it could/should be the perfect item. Especially when considering the niceties of a single good looking well built box.
My only reservation is NAD themselves, but give it 6 months after launch and I'm sure the firmware will be patched to useable levels ;)
And if you don't mind the single box with amps approach, the M33 fits the bill now.

Oski1928

I’ve got a couple questions that hopefully there is a few answers too. Thanks in advance.

1. Does anybody know if the HDMI ARC feature allows for visual information (album artwork and what not) to be displayed on the screen it’s hooked up to?

2. Can someone please explain the FIR Filter to me. When I learned that the PEQ had set values I was very disappointed, but saw in a video that REW results can be put into the unit an use the FIR Filter? Would someone be able to explain this to me and inform me of what it’s capable of?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It all looks pretty straightforward I am not sure I would apply any smoothing before hitting the EQ button though.
Keith

Oski1928

It all looks pretty straightforward I am not sure I would apply any smoothing before hitting the EQ button though.
Keith
I just read all three of your messages and went through the attached links. First off, thank you very much. I could not find any information in the manual about an on screen display via HDMI ARC, if anyone else has further info that would be great. Second, I think I now have a basic understanding of the FIR Filter process. I have never used REW, in the instructions it states it measures the right speaker and the curve is also applicable for the left speaker. Is this the normal way this is implemented?

Edit: I also see no mention of using a Mac, is this purely a PC only type of thing?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can use REW in a Mac I do, when you do measure one speaker at a time , I wouldn’t smooth the response and I would only implement the filters REW recommends in the low bass region of the FR, where the plot is very wiggly.
Also you are not looking for a horizontally flat FR that Eversolo show in their literature but a gently downward sloping target, slightly more bsss slightly less treble.
I will try the ARC thing just haven’t got around to it.
Keith

Oski1928

I just read all three of your messages and went through the attached links. First off, thank you very much. I could not find any information in the manual about an on screen display via HDMI ARC, if anyone else has further info that would be great. Second, I think I now have a basic understanding of the FIR Filter process. I have never used REW, in the instructions it states it measures the right speaker and the curve is also applicable for the left speaker. Is this the normal way this is implemented?

You can use REW in a Mac I do, when you do measure one speaker at a time , I wouldn’t smooth the response and I would only implement the filters REW recommends in the low bass region of the FR, where the plot is very wiggly.
Also you are not looking for a horizontally flat FR that Eversolo show in their literature but a gently downward sloping target, slightly more bsss slightly less treble.
I will try the ARC thing just haven’t got around to it.
Keith
Yep, I’ve seen some of the general target curves people go for. I’m interested in exlporing them, but was concerned I wouldn’t be able to do everything I wanted with an PEQ with fixed values. This seems to be the solution to that issue. Thanks again, and it would be great if you were able to check that ARC situation!

Finally, (I think lol) being that it has a high pass filter im assuming the intended purpose would be for use with a subwoofer. I’ve seen conflicting information on how this might possibly work though. Let’s say I set up my DSP and have a high pass filter set as well. I hook up my amp to the XLR outputs and a sub to the RCA outputs of the DMP. Will the high passed signal be given to both sets of outputs? If so, how are you supposed to use a sub?

Slash21

Hey all, has anyone compared the Lumin D3 with the Eversolo A8? Which sounds better? The Eversolo is much easier to use and have many features, but the Lumin D3 some has said sounded better.

Times

Hello and a warm welcome to the ASR Forum!

Hey all, has anyone compared the Lumin D3 with the Eversolo A8? Which sounds better? The Eversolo is much easier to use and have many features, but the Lumin D3 some has said sounded better.

Fortunately, the question is very easy to answer:

The Evernote, as a black device, has a richer, stronger bass foundation. It might sound a little dark, though. So to prevent it from being too imprecise in the treble range, you should definitely connect it to your (power) amp with silver cables.

With the Lumin, it all depends on whether you opt for the black or silver housing. In black, it sounds the same as the DMP-A8, because with the almost identical price, it's very difficult for the brain to discern any differences. In silver, however, it has a rather brighter sound, with better treble resolution. But it sometimes tends to sound a little sharp then.

But it could also be that this is all pretty much bullshit, that you only hear differences (like the ones mentioned above) if you want to hear them and are therefore better off deciding based on feature set and appearance... ;)

Top Bottom