• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A8 Announced

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the Minidsp upsamples/ downsamples every input to 24/48 it's a limitation of the processor. I believe the NAD m33 and probably the m66 will do 24/192.

I've never seen any evidence anyone can tell these apart but I'm not saying there are tests somewhere showing it can be done. At any rate we're talking about upsampling from a turn table which is what 14 bits at most? I don't understand the problem.

MingChops

I believe the Minidsp upsamples/ downsamples every input to 24/48 it's a limitation of the processor. I believe the NAD m33 and probably the m66 will do 24/192.
No the miniDSP SHD series use 32/96 internally for everything. Whereas if you look at say the Flex it says 32/96 internally unless with Dirac then 32/48.

Dr.Deadwax

why do you say this? It is not correct.
Sorry, I just read Amir's test and the input cuts out at 48 khz. But it was probably measured with the default settings.

In the user manual I just saw that the input sampling rate is selectable (whatever sense that makes).

M33 is very interesting. Are there also 1ET400 modules installed there?

Can I also access the measurement with Dirac and set additional EQ points?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No the miniDSP SHD series use 32/96 internally for everything. Whereas if you look at say the Flex it says 32/96 internally unless with Dirac then 32/48.
Even better at 32 /96hz. Must of been thinking of the older products.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD licenses from Purifi and do their own amplifier.
They have slightly different specs.

NAD’s renowned designers worked closely with Purifi Audio to customise the Eigentakt implementation to ensure every product featuring the technology would meet the high standards NAD is known for. For this reason, NAD manufactures its own Eigentakt modules rather than buy off-the-shelf.

pogo

Major Contributor
M33 and M66 DSP function processing @192kHz: Link

Sonic-Wall

Sorry, I just read Amir's test and the input cuts out at 48 khz. But it was probably measured with the default settings.

In the user manual I just saw that the input sampling rate is selectable (whatever sense that makes).

Can I also access the measurement with Dirac and set additional EQ points?
In general, Dirac only supports up to 96K sampling rate!
Forget about the buggy NAD M33, because otherwise you will be busy in debugging all kind of problems.
Just keep the streamer and the DAC separate and you should be fine :)

pogo

Major Contributor
See measurement in #146 and here: Link

Sonic-Wall

Correct, using Dirac on a PC!
On NAD devices there is still a known problem with the bass management, which is also shown in your referenced measurements from June 2021.
Yes, the M33 does sample the analog input at 192k but the result with Dirac is useless.
It‘s a feature not a bug

Dirac Live 3.7.3​

2023-11-21

Known problems​

• Significantly louder Dirac filter (louder Dirac ON than Dirac OFF) than with Dirac Live 3.4.4 on some NAD devices.
  • The subwoofer outputs don’t get sound with Dirac On on some NAD devices
  • We therefore recommend NAD users to stay with Dirac Live 3.4.4 until we have fixed that problem.

pogo

Major Contributor
I think you're getting things mixed up here. My DL issue was fixed by a firmware update. The M33 is now performing excellently @192kHz for me and will soon receive DLBC and hopefully also DLART ;)

Last edited:

Dr.Deadwax

I need your opinion now.

Do I get a lot of quality loss when I use Matrix Mini i4 -> XLR to TRS -> MiniDSP Flex TRS -> TRS to XLR -> Audiophonics 1TE400.

Or would you rather spend more money and buy a NAD M33?

Times

Imho it’s not a question of quality loss but a question of whether you prefer to have everything in one box or separately…

There are pros and cons to both.

Dr.Deadwax

Imho it’s not a question of quality loss but a question of whether you prefer to have everything in one box or separately…

There are pros and cons to both.
I actually don't care.
I just want the best possible sound with my requirements above.

Times

It doesn’t matter. Both solutions provide three digit SINAD numbers, more than enough power and Dirac room correction, so you won’t be able to notice any audible difference.

Dr.Deadwax

It doesn’t matter. Both solutions provide three digit SINAD numbers, more than enough power and Dirac room correction, so you won’t be able to notice any audible difference.
However, the question is whether the SINAD is still as good if I have the miniDSP as an intermediate step

MrOtto

They way he categorizes sound quality by the price point/class:

Mindset: "A preamp of $300 can never sound as good as a preamp of $1000"

Times

However, the question is whether the SINAD is still as good if I have the miniDSP as an intermediate step

If you keep in mind that with an increased feature set and therefore also complexity in a box, it’s also getting harder to keep distortion and noise levels in check and compare the ASR reviews of the Matrix mini, miniDSP, Purifi based power amps and the NAD v10 (although not the upgraded version), it is very likely that it is the other way round and the measured numbers are better at the end of the separate devices chain.

But, again, the differences are absolutely negligible. It’s way more important that you don’t miss a certain feature and the usability matches your expectations.

What if you have somewhat better, but non-audible measurements but don’t enjoy listening because you get frustrated every time you use the equipment?

pogo

Major Contributor
Do I get a lot of quality loss when I use Matrix Mini i4 -> XLR to TRS -> MiniDSP Flex TRS -> TRS to XLR -> Audiophonics 1TE400.

Or would you rather spend more money and buy a NAD M33?
This requires a lot of tuning of the individual components/stages (gain, ....).

NAD has added a gain stage to increase its headroom so that it works better with the DSP circuits of its room-correction software and tone controls. NAD concedes that this slightly decreases the M33’s signal/noise ratio, but with careful design and premium parts, and because the Eigentakt’s S/N is so low to begin with, the noise is still inaudible.
Source: soundstagehifi.com

miniDSP (max. 96kHz) and the mentioned Purifi do not come close to the performance level of the M33.

Top Bottom