• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP A-8 compared to Eversolo DMP A-6 ‘Master’

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Absolutely compelling, this years must read:-
Purité Audio’s BLOG!

Keith

Highvolt60

Absolutely compelling, this years must read:-
Purité Audio’s BLOG!

Keith
Note, the HDMI IIS is a digital output and not an input !
Shame they did not make the DSP functions work for Analog in or Digital out (why I won't get an A8).
When or if you do compare the 2 units (you are probably joking since you think all sound the same), measure & match the voltage at speaker terminals and NOT the DAC outputs on A6/8 !
I always do this since the source device output impedance and PreAmp input impedance form a voltage divider that can make a significant delta (up to .8dB) between the two devices. With the two Eversolo the output Z is probably identical or close so not as big a deal but best practice anyway.
Also this must be conducted in a well setup system, proper speaker placement & room acoustics for sure.
Doing something like this in dealer showroom or even unfamiliar setup is useless.

You will disagree but blind testing is not required if the person is alone, knows their system sound and source material well and has no bias toward one component or another.
I'm the biggest audio skeptic ever so I'm not influenced by some fancy 1/2 thick machined panel or other marketing snake oil BS.
Switching can be a variety of ways but must be no more than about 5 seconds gap between (IMHO and about what it takes for the A6 to switch from analof to digital outs).
Most of the time when I do a comparison, I can either switch in inputs on the 2 outboard DACS or the inputs (relay switched) on the PreAmp with little or no delay.

I have done both blind/sighted over the years (Including making my own ABX box once) and as long as one does not try to guess (as in not hearing a clear difference), I have reached similar results either way.
Then again, people tell me I have Dog like hearing, "whats that noise" I say "I don't hear anything" they say !

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is these will be connected to active speakers so the level match needs to be at the A6 and A8 output. I can't imagine why anyone would buy one of these to hook to a preamp.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Quote,
‘ You will disagree but blind testing is not required if the person is alone, knows their system sound and source material well and has no bias toward one component or another.‘

I do disagree, everyone is prey to bias.
I n my experience one must compare unsighted.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The wait is over, Esquire have called me the new Margot Hemingway, comparing ‘Eversolo blood on the tracks’ unfavourably to ‘Old man and the seal’ , no teenagers were injured in the making of the Eversolo A-8 versus Eversolo A-6 ‘blood on the tracks’ ( I was vacillating between ‘there will be blood ‘ or ‘blood on the tracks’ but you can’t really go wrong with Dylan can you as long as he isn’t actually singing) teenagers are just so ungrateful aren’t they, just ask them to give up an hour or so of their time.
Available on your device now.
TLDR couldn’t hear any difference between them, although I did discover my phono stage was broken.
Keith

is the DMP A-8 better than the A-6 master edition……………..?
Well, here is my impression of the A-8. I received my DMP A-8 a week ago and been listening a few hours per day,
I had the dmp a-6 master edition for 6 months. It sounded ok on my system, say 7,5 out of 10.
I use the audiophonics purifi power amp with sparkos up-amps. XLR cables
and dynaudio confidence 30 speakers.

still i preferred my topping d90se, via usb from the A-6, it has a much wider and deeper soundstage and a little more sparkle than just the A-6. But a little less bass and mid bass. But I preferred the sound of the topping dac, say 8 out of 10.

in short: I sold both devices for 1350 euro and bought the DMP A-8 for 2000 euro.

I hooked it up and immediately heard clear differences!
more tight bass, fuller midrange and the same soundstage and sparkle in the highs As the topping dac. It sounds rounder but more tight, but with enough detail and ‘sparkle" that I like. Very life like instruments. Good transient sound. snare instruments have the nice realism and tenor saxophone the deep grunt. Very nice. speakers disappear more. A clear improvement over the A-6. I don’t use the DSP. Tried it a bit but could not reach consistent improvement.

i rate my system now 9 out of 10.
so I like the dmp a-8 very much and the upgrade is very substantial in my system over the A-6 master edition. Better than I expected actually ;-)

also like the 12v trigger and the hdmi arc.

a A-8 combined with the purifi power amp makes a high end affordable system I like very much. And I found this combination because I read this forum site, thank for the advice Amir and others!

btw: I know that my very positive opinion is subjective, you don’t have to remind me or anyone else.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
With all due respect unless you have both devices in front of you, level match and compare unsighted…
But I am glad you are pleased .
Keith

I know Keith, havent done that, but I am happy with the purchase and I like to read other peoples opinions so that is why I also share mine. Just to enjoy our audio hobby.
and I fully disagree with your constant remarks about how all devices sound "transparent’. They all sound different in different audio chains and settings.

and I am very willing to participate in a blind test, would be a lot of fun!
why aren’t there more blind tested listening comparisons?
like wine tastings…

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can participate in your own blind tests, it is the only valid way, and not every component is transparent.
Keith

Blind testing is not very easy to do. I don't need it because I hear difference between A-6 master and A-8.
My wife will agree with Keith though, both devices sound fine ;-)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It isn’t and you need both devices in front of you to switch between, the real point is that you write that the A-8 is better but that claim is completely unsubstantiated, someone reads your comment and they write that the A-8 is better and so on.
The A-8 is a great bit of kit with many useful features, but it doesn’t sound any different to the A-6
Keith

Attachments

• IMG_3213.jpeg
    IMG_3213.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 112
It isn’t and you need both devices in front of you to switch between, the real point is that you write that the A-8 is better but that claim is completely unsubstantiated, someone reads your comment and they write that the A-8 is better and so on.
The A-8 is a great bit of kit with many useful features, but it doesn’t sound any different to the A-6
Keith
If I wrote that both devices sounded the same, it would be just as unsubstantiate. It is just my opinion about the sound, differences are small, but nevertheless clearly noticeable for me.
and someone may be interested as I am in other peoples opinion. That is what forums are about.

curious when it will be measured by Amir

happy Easter

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Maybe this will help: ;)

Reactions: MKR
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If I wrote that both devices sounded the same, it would be just as unsubstantiate. It is just my opinion about the sound, differences are small, but nevertheless clearly noticeable for me.
and someone may be interested as I am in other peoples opinion. That is what forums are about.

curious when it will be measured by Amir

happy Easter
But the measurements of the DMP A-6 suggest it is audibly transparent ( as good as it gets) so how can the A-8 be better?
You didn’t even have the two devices together at the same time, you are relying on some memory, if you are going to make a claim then be prepared to back it up with evidence otherwise it is just anecdote.
Keith

But the measurements of the DMP A-6 suggest it is audibly transparent ( as good as it gets) so how can the A-8 be better?
You didn’t even have the two devices together at the same time, you are relying on some memory, if you are going to make a claim then be prepared to back it up with evidence otherwise it is just anecdote.
hello dear Keith,
comparision is from memory, sold my A-6 ME days before.
no hard evidence, so anecdotal, exactly like I mentioned.
but some people, like me, like anecdotal information about sound experience.

and some people doubt that these measurements tell the whole story. Sound stage and other micro details can be different. And every room and audio chain is different too. Even our ears are different, just as our brains, taste.

I consider myself a skeptic about a lot of claims, like cables etc.
I also know that sound Improvement wears off, you get used to better sound. The wow effect is pretty short. Mood also plays a huge role.

still I do believe the A-8 sounds overall better than the A-6 in my system. And let’s be happy with the mystery about sound reproduction and the inability to create the perfect system, leaves something to long for……

Last edited:

MKR

Major Contributor
hello dear Keith,
comparision is from memory, sold my A-6 ME days before.
no hard evidence, so anecdotal, exactly like I mentioned.
but some people, like me, like anecdotal information about sound experience.

and some people doubt that these measurements tell the whole story. Sound stage and other micro details can be different. And every room and audio chain is different too. Even our ears are different, just as our brains, taste.

I consider myself a skeptic about a lot of claims, like cables etc.
I also know that sound Improvement wears off, you get used to better sound. The wow effect is pretty short. Mood also plays a huge role.

still I do believe the A-8 sounds overall better than the A-6 in my system. And let’s be happy with the mystery about sound reproduction and the inability to create the perfect system, leaves something to long for……
Sorry, but there is no way the A8 objectively sounds better (whatever that means) than the A6 if they measure the same. Maybe with the A8 in your system you have something setup differently than with the A6 that makes it sound better to your ears, but it ain’t the A8.

Top Bottom