• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Entire home audio setup

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
come on you know thats not whats it about
I don't know much about them myself, but have you considered some of the commercial products, like you find in shops and gyms for "piped music". Not wireless, but might be worth looking into.

OP
M
I don't know much about them myself, but have you considered some of the commercial products, like you find in shops and gyms for "piped music". Not wireless, but might be worth looking into.

As in PA system. But thats basically just speakers in series with one VERY powerful amp, but i don't own the flat so i can't drill and stuff and my floor is already full of ethernet cables :p

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
As in PA system. But thats basically just speakers in series with one VERY powerful amp, but i don't own the flat so i can't drill and stuff and my floor is already full of ethernet cables :p
Fair enough.

It was just a thought and while I have no idea what sort of sound quality you get out of a system like this, on price, it compares very favourably to something like Sonos:

1689946148905.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it's still same problem, not being able to access outside of the apple/android ecosystem.
Just to clarify. You do need an Apple device to set it up but after that the entire system is voice operated and doesn’t require any device.

OP
M
Just to clarify. You do need an Apple device to set it up but after that the entire system is voice operated and doesn’t require any device.
voice operated probably implies it needs internet connection doesn't it

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
you are right i did not, my bad

Well I operate on linux so i would love to control it from linux too, playing from mpd would also be nice but thats optioal if it can just play url
That certainly makes it difficult. Pretty much anything anyone suggests will be designed with a consumer in mind.

OP
M
ye hence it's in diy section :p

I got electronics mostly sorted out, raspberry pi 3 and apple dongle, that's like $50 per speaker so not terrible, and i don't have to buy every speaker at once. I'm now just wondering what speaker (preferably active cause cuts away amp headache) and what position. Maybe just some better sounding bt speaker with line in? just remove battery and slap some psu with same voltage as battery

like what amount of directivity and what placement to power the room most effectively

as to expected audio quality, if i wanted audio quality i would well… put on headphones. Obviously it won't sound good as the rooms are not optimized for audio at all + there's delay between speakers. I will do DRC on every speaker in every room tho so that should bring it to reasonable level, i would just like to have some bass extension, like not bad frequency range, room modes

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah can't find any info on this cause 99% of google search results is like "just sonos", i'm looking more after diying it just from conventional speakers
The last time I tried a single mono Sonos Play 1 in every room, it worked, but latencies between speakers quickly accumulated, resulting in an annoying echo effect. I never did see any way to keep them all synchronized except as a stereo pair or a multichannel system.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For speakers, some sort of powered monitor like Genelec 8030C, JBL 306P MK II, Kali, etc. Available in a wide range of brands, price points, capabilities.

OP
M
For speakers, some sort of powered monitor like Genelec 8030C, JBL 306P MK II, Kali, etc. Available in a wide range of brands, price points, capabilities.
ye well i know i need monitor (cause they have amps) question is what directivity and position should i go for

also i don't think it's worth spending more than $150 on the speakers

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ye hence it's in diy section :p

I got electronics mostly sorted out, raspberry pi 3 and apple dongle, that's like $50 per speaker so not terrible, and i don't have to buy every speaker at once. I'm now just wondering what speaker (preferably active cause cuts away amp headache) and what position. Maybe just some better sounding bt speaker with line in? just remove battery and slap some psu with same voltage as battery

like what amount of directivity and what placement to power the room most effectively

as to expected audio quality, if i wanted audio quality i would well… put on headphones. Obviously it won't sound good as the rooms are not optimized for audio at all + there's delay between speakers. I will do DRC on every speaker in every room tho so that should bring it to reasonable level, i would just like to have some bass extension, like not bad frequency range, room modes
As an alternative to apple dongle + powered speaker, you can get DAC/Amp hats for the PI, to use with a standard speaker. EG

A little more than the apple dongle, but solves your amplification issue.

I suspect it doesn't measure that well, but I bet it will be as good or better than most bluetooth speakers.

OP
M
As an alternative to apple dongle + powered speaker, you can get DAC/Amp hats for the PI, to use with a standard speaker. EG

A little more than the apple dongle, but solves your amplification issue.

I suspect it doesn't measure that well, but I bet it will be as good or better than most bluetooth speakers.
that's cool but i still need speaker! :D

OP
M
Yes, but now you can buy stereo pairs and split them (many lower cost stereo powered speakers only have the amp in one of the speakers.)
oh ye that's true just like my mr4's

ye hat is probably better option especially that i can get used bookshelfs for dirt cheap

I even have 4x SS-V150 but i think those are too weak

Zensō

Major Contributor
The last time I tried a single mono Sonos Play 1 in every room, it worked, but latencies between speakers quickly accumulated, resulting in an annoying echo effect. I never did see any way to keep them all synchronized except as a stereo pair or a multichannel system.
I worked through this issue with Sonos support. In my case, the speakers were drifting out of sync because of wireless interference. It was solved by changing the wireless channel Sonos was using. Might be worth a try if you haven’t already.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
oh ye that's true just like my mr4's

ye hat is probably better option especially that i can get used bookshelfs for dirt cheap

I even have 4x SS-V150 but i think those are too weak
Oh yes - you also need to budget a 24V PSU for the amp hat.

And don't expect anywhere near a real 35W from it - probably more like half that.

JSmith

Master Contributor
How far do you want to take that idea? :)
Multiple transmitter chips are stacked with a BT receiver chip. This chip is connected to a phone or laptop from which the original audio source is played. Upon receiving the audio signal, the BT chip transmits it to multiple transmitters. These transmitters are connected to other Bluetooth speakers, which stream the original audio. Thus audio latency will not take place and the original audio will be played simultaneously. All these audio devices can be controlled from one casting device.

JSmith

Top Bottom