• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADCiso Review

Rate this ADC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 117 87.3%

• Total voters

lewdish

My issue w/ E1DA is that i can never tell if they're going to be in stock, when they're out they're out for like months or even years i feel like, and by then i've purchased something else and forgotten about it

peniku8

Forum Donor
Need to have iterative sweep support to get things like this:

index.php
But that problem would be solved with the Scaler, wouldn't it? If you're talking about different input sensitivities, which that device (as auto-ranger) eliminates.

So? How is that our problem?

I don't know who the heck you are talking about. If it is me, teaches me to not make an exception again in testing your stuff. You badly need to keep your arrogance in check.
I think Ivan just wants to say that he is running out of time to set up documentation because he is a one-man business.
With the 2nd thing I'm pretty sure he is voicing his frustration about the users that join the Cosmos discord that have zero knowledge about audio and then expect to be spoon fed until they're able to publish high quality/reliability measurements. I've seen this more or less happen even tho I have only actively been reading it for a couple of months at most. I don't think at all that he is taking jabs at you about something as insignificant as a typo.
Ivan has always been friendly towards me and he and @staticV3 are very quick to answer questions if I have any, even if Ivan sometimes misses my point due to language barrier, I suppose.

weme

To get there, with no noise penalty, requires a very low noise JFET/MOSFET buffer OpAmp in front of the low impedance range divider, per leg... which then requires a high supply voltage (+-15V..+-18V)... which is not available in the ADC. We have to build that on our own.
I recommend this solution:

Installing the E1DA Cosmos ADCiso in a larger metal housing - supplemented with these external components, for example:
Self-built preamplifier *1) with switchable input sensitivity (the switch from the ADCiso is only suitable for a few circuits), a stereo/mono switch, external XLR sockets, ...
Internal USB-C socket (control) to external USB-B socket. The power supply (USB-C socket) goes to a built-in lithium battery, which also contains a charging circuit.

Here is a version from EUVL:

231005 AR Top.JPG
... with balanced output for controlling an E1AD ADC via an OPA1622, both in the same housing

The scaler is unsuitable for me without modification:
- cannot attenuate the signal
- too low max. input voltage

*1)
Some time ago @MC_RME built such a preamplifier and presented measurements in conjunction with the - unfortunately no longer available - "Linear Audio AutoRanger ARII Version 3" ("AutoRanger Version 3 Tech Specs MC JD 6c.pdf").

Attachments

• AutoRanger Version 3 Tech Specs MC JD 6c.pdf
    741 KB · Views: 34

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I do all things by myself, design, calibration, assembling, and online support in the discord. When the user mixes up scaler vs scalar, I see that he's not an engineer or DIYer but just a manager who accidentally got my stuff and has no idea what is it. I have no time to explain basic things, so I decided I'd sell my stuff to smart people only.
By coincidence, my Cosmos ADC arrived this morning - thank you for relenting on your rule about who to sell to.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The device badly needs a full tutorial both in text and video. It attracts people who aren't experts in measurements and electronics yet it is more complicated/complex to use than Audio Precision. Such tutorial needs to cover all the corner cases and issues involved in it.

Above is (one of the) reasons I hesitated to test this device. And eventually decided to just test it by itself as to avoid all the complications that go with stringing other things with it.
@Julian Krause this would make and excellent tutorial video, like the gem you created about REW+UMIK-1.

capslock

I answered already. It is the high-performance analog generator in APx555. You will never get such low distortion if you use the DAC generator.
Wow. Does anyone know how it achieves to have all harmonics in the noise of -160 dB (well, maybe HD3 at -156 db)?

Another_Moon

Being a native Russian speaker, I can’t help but share information, so to speak, for the development of cancel culture) In general, I have long seen how Vanya insults Amir on Russian-language forums. Well, now is the time to share this information for your reference and personal conclusions. To translate, just insert the picture into Google Translator. In short, quote (I condemn): "Amir is a stupid old man". Links so as not to be unfounded: https://www.audio-perfection.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=813&pid=44923#pid44923 ; https://forum.vegalab.ru/showthread.php?t=90874&page=73&p=3227994#post3227994
Ну что, привет Ванячка, ничего личного, просто мы в разных лагерях, учитывая твой статус и гравировки "вилок" на платах ;)
1714247565740.png
1714247540959.png
1714247484450.png

capslock

Oh, no, this thread is going to new lows. Not sure if this is an attempt at character assasination. When I copy the last sentence of Another Moon's post into deepl-translator, this is what I get:
Well, hi Vanyachka, nothing personal, we are just in different camps, given your status and the engraving of "forks" on the boards

The "fork" seems to be the Ukrainian coat of arms that Ivan prints on his newer PCBs such as APU.

Last edited:

capslock

As for the two links provided by Another_Moon, none of them contain the "stupid old man" alledged quote. The first seems to say that Amir is as stubborn as a donkey for sticking to SINAD instead of THD. I wouldn't trust any machine translation to know whether this is just a figure of speech or an insult. The second one is completely harmless, IVX inquiring about a package to a costomer held in customs.

So I am guessing this is a rather poor attempt at character assassination. Can we please all stop behaving like kids in a sandbox?

Another_Moon

Oh, no, this thread is going to new lows. Not sure if this is an attempt at character assasination. When I copy the last sentence of Another Moon's post into deepl-translator, this is what I get:
Well, hi Vanyachka, nothing personal, we are just in different camps, given your status and the engraving of "forks" on the boards

The "fork" seems to be the Ukrainian coat of arms that Ivan prints on his newer PCBs such as APU.
Unlike him, I do not expose or promote my position. Yes, I teased him a little, but it was intended, as they say, whoever understood understood. Well, is it generally according to the rules to put political slogans on status, or do they have carte blanche and “you don’t understand, this is different”?
Still, I advise you to pay attention to the included information in the form of facts in my message)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But that problem would be solved with the Scaler, wouldn't it? I
No. I am talking about level and frequency stepped sweeps. Single test Chirp/Multitone can't produce such a measurement.

Another_Moon

As for the two links provided by Another_Moon, none of them contain the "stupid old man" alledged quote. The first seems to say that Amir is as stubborn as a donkey for sticking to SINAD instead of THD. I wouldn't trust any machine translation to know whether this is just a figure of speech or an insult. The second one is completely harmless, IVX inquiring about a package to a costomer held in customs.

So I am guessing this is a rather poor attempt at character assassination. Can we please all stop behaving like kids in a sandbox?
The second link leads to a page, there are several messages from him, look at all of them, not just the first one. About the wording: no, it has a strict meaning. And I don't need to kill anyone)
And about the “kids” and the “sandbox” - I just don’t like it when a person is insulted behind his back, or rather even publicly, but outside his visibility zone.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think Ivan just wants to say that he is running out of time to set up documentation because he is a one-man business.
It is just one of me as well and I rather be preparing more of my raised garden beds than dealing with his insults toward me. This forum gave life to his business. But he thinks nothing of calling me a "manager" who is not "smart" enough to measure things. He needs to learn to bite his lip and be more considerate and take feedback for improving his business. I sure as heck do that by creating all those tutorials on youtube.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It takes an incredible level of effort to have me put someone in my "S" list. I am a good judge of character but give people a very long leash to get me to not want to have anything to do with them. IVX has accomplished that task -- something only a couple other people have done. Both of whom are smart and make good products but never benefited from proper manners.

I wouldn't have said any of this if he didn't bring them to the table here and multiple times.

So while I had not seen his comments on that Russian site, it all fits perfectly with my impression of him when I reviewed his last product.

As far as I am concerned, who is behind a product is as important as what the product is. If you don't care about it, fine. I do. I bit my lip in saying something about it in the review and it taught me that good deeds do get punished.

Watire

Ahm, without a conceptual schematic of the input divider and ADC driver, showing basic simplified topology but no details and no component values, it's not clear which resistor you mean here.
Looks like a 2 sliders situation, you should figure it out in 2 minutes ! The reward is not in the journey, but in the tweeking it seems.

peniku8

Forum Donor
No. I am talking about level and frequency stepped sweeps. Single test Chirp/Multitone can't produce such a measurement.
Like this?
kVbEKv2.jpeg

(Ignore the settings, this is from my home PC which I don't use for electronics measurements)

j8lGJWF.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Someone wants to give me a reason to not ban IVX here and now?

"Yes, it’s me who kicks Amir every time)) He’s an illiterate little bast, and now he writes, they say, I gave this Ivan the best recommendations, but contrary to common sense, he dunks me in calla lilies every time.

He does not understand that the truth is above all, and not personal relationships. Called yourself science, receive criticism and either competently reject it, breaking it down with technical arguments, or change the sign to “Amir and his friends, who have nothing in common with science.” B.., how much Asianness there is in this, you would know. I'm not racist, my wife is Chinese, but Amir's behavior is purely Asian."

Sokel

Master Contributor
Like this?
kVbEKv2.jpeg

(Ignore the settings, this is from my home PC which I don't use for electronics measurements)

j8lGJWF.jpg
Same goes for Multitone Analyzer where you can see various parameters in the same chart:

Level sweep.PNG

(sorry for the light chosen colors,I usually use the black background)

Last edited:
Top Bottom