• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Streamer based on Raspberry Pi 5

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Async USB out from a PI4 or 5 into a well engineered DAC will be technically perfect, why worry about anything else ?
Somebody with 10 years of experience reading Head-Fi and Audiogon, but no years of education in audio, will tell you you're doing it wrong.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RPi5 has a very different I2S interface than the previous versions, and IMO it's worth waiting for DAC hats designed to make advantage of that. Dedicated audio-frequency PLL (no need for the jittery averaging fractional divider in older RPis), most likely master frequency output to avoid PLLing in the DAC. Or decent clock by the DAC and I2S slave (but that can be applied to all RPi models).

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm currently using USB to a Schitt Modi 3. Because Moode is still working on Pi 5 support I'm currently running Ras Pi OS using both Squeezelite and Dmediarender. If I use VNC or hook up a monitor I can use VLC or other native software. It works as well as my other Pis. Because both LMS and Gmediarender support Qobuz I can play local music from my NAS or stream it from Qobuz. For the heck of it I'm going to try Volumio today. Do I need a Pi 5? Probably not. I enjoy having the Pcie support and am, for the fun of it, booting from a 1TB SSD. The adapter was under $20.

OP
D

driblo

I'm currently using USB to a Schitt Modi 3. Because Moode is still working on Pi 5 support I'm currently running Ras Pi OS using both Squeezelite and Dmediarender. If I use VNC or hook up a monitor I can use VLC or other native software. It works as well as my other Pis. Because both LMS and Gmediarender support Qobuz I can play local music from my NAS or stream it from Qobuz. For the heck of it I'm going to try Volumio today. Do I need a Pi 5? Probably not. I enjoy having the Pcie support and am, for the fun of it, booting from a 1TB SSD. The adapter was under $20.
I tried to run Volumio on Rpi5, and it is a mess.
For now.
Maybe you will have more luck with it.
Moode stil doesn't have the official release for the Rpi5, so I am trying out MPD and LMS.

And maybe, if you didn't know, you can't share exfat usb drive with NFS.
I choosed it because it isreadable on most devices, but it seems it doesn't support needed security and permissions.
So, now I have to find 3,5TB of free space somewhere format my drive to ext or btrfs, if i want it be available on network.

Barrelhouse Solly

I tried to run Volumio on Rpi5, and it is a mess.
For now.
Maybe you will have more luck with it.
Moode stil doesn't have the official release for the Rpi5, so I am trying out MPD and LMS.

And maybe, if you didn't know, you can't share exfat usb drive with NFS.
I choosed it because it isreadable on most devices, but it seems it doesn't support needed security and permissions.
So, now I have to find 3,5TB of free space somewhere format my drive to ext or btrfs, if i want it be available on network.
I couldn't get Volumio to boot. I tried it on an SSD and an SD card.

Barrelhouse Solly

I couldn't get Volumio to boot. I tried it on an SSD and an SD card.
Tried again with a reflash of the SD card. It worked. I didn't try to set up an SMB connection, just used DLNA. That worked. I also tried it as a UPNP renderer controlled by BubbleUPNP. That worked too. I understand that people are having trouble with the local display plugin. I didn't try that. The interesting thing to me, well mildly interesting, is that the boot order defaults on my eeprom to SD card, SSD, USB. I had to disconnect the PCIE ribbon cable to the SSD in order to get it to boot from the SD card. I'm hoping for better behavior from Moode. They have two different updates in the works, a Bullseye and a Bookworm. They're both scheduled for this quarter.

aagstn

I wanted to run Volumio again and ended up grabbing a Pi 5. It is overkill, but a PI 4 wasn't much cheaper and I've used Volumio on a Pi 3 and it worked but could get sluggish and crash. May try some other options as well. I really just wanted to play around with one of these again and $60 wasn't terrible. A friend had an extra ac adapter and case from his recent Pi 5 buying and just gave them to me so I was only out the cost of the board. I'll run it out USB to a Modi+.

Last edited:

dlovesmusic

My current set up is a rpi5 8gb of ram, running hqplayer desktop in bookworm. There is built-in qobuz support with hqplayer and can run audiolense convolution filters. It makes a pretty rock solid streamer… so good that I am thinking of bringing this desktop setup to the office - rpi5 to Hidizs s9 pro plus Martha - zero:red iem…

Last edited:
OP
D

driblo

After waiting some time to get Moode official rpi5 release (still no luck), I tried again with the newer version of Volumio (3.631-2024-02-21) and... so far so good!
Worked out of the box: recognized DAC, SSH enabled without problem... all of this was buggy in the previous release.

When I plugged in USB drive, it get scanned automatically and didn't crash.
Local library is large and organized & renamed with custom MusicBrainz Picard script, so the files on the USB have paths like this:
Code:
A/AC_DC/Albums/Back in Black (Vinyl Hi-Res) [1980] [Albert Productions] [APLP-046] [12 Inch Vinyl]/A1. Hells Bells [5'$'\342\210\266''12][320+ 192000KHz VBR 2ch].flac
As you can see, that is very long name with unicode characters in it and it handled it without problem.

Currently I use only last.fm scrobbler plugin, and will conservatively add the rest like radios, DSP, and Spotify: add one, then leave it to work for a couple of days, then add another.

Haven't tried playing anything from the NAS, that seems to be quite common problem on forums.

Would love to install Midnight Commander and zsh, but as far as I can see, everyone on Volumio forums is suggesting against that - you need to add repositories that can break updating of the OS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom