• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Damping Factor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Some light reading on these topics.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Some light reading on these topics.
If the Mills and Hawksford paper are posted anywhere, they cover the subject very nicely. There was also a book on the subject by a Finnish guy whose name escapes me.

Under some circumstances, they showed a small reduction in distortion with current drive of some special drivers, though it's difficult to actually get any significant advantage in the real world.

Edit: Mills and Hawksford

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Mills and Hawksford paper are posted anywhere, they cover the subject very nicely. There was also a book on the subject by a Finnish guy whose name escapes me.

Under some circumstances, they showed a small reduction in distortion with current drive of some special drivers, though it's difficult to actually get any significant advantage in the real world.

Edit: Mills and Hawksford
Perhaps one complicating factor is that recent drivers of any quality tend to have shorting rings to minimize the inductance. Once upon a time that inductance variation may have tipped the performance in the favor of current drive.

OP
W

Walor

A little less distortion is just a minor matter in my opinion. The main advantage, however, lies in the almost unlimited slope, which no voltage amplifier can offer, even if an equalizer is used. And that's exactly what makes the special sound...

Okay, I won't bother you anymore.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A little less distortion is just a minor matter in my opinion. The main advantage, however, lies in the almost unlimited slope, which no voltage amplifier can offer, even if an equalizer is used. And that's exactly what makes the special sound...

Okay, I won't bother you anymore.
What does "almost unlimited slope" mean? Current is no different than voltage in needing at least N reactive elements for an a N-order filter (slope).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The main advantage, however, lies in the almost unlimited slope, which no voltage amplifier can offer, even if an equalizer is used. And that's exactly what makes the special sound...

How do you know when you cannot even hear much above 16kHz or so. It really does not matter if you push in 50kHz + 10dB or so.
The driver won't move any more as the full range speaker can't keep up with that.
You can measure the current being there but it won't matter as it simply cannot move that fast.
So how on earth can the few dB treble lift between say 20kHz and 50kHz even matter ?
You would need A: hires files with actual content above that range. B: a super tweeter because a relative heavy and breaking up full range speaker simply does not have any advantage between 20kHz and 50kHz or so.

First thing you need to do is simulate the exact EQ the current drive does. Then create an equal amount of similar distortion and make a real comparison possible before you chalk it all up to 'current drive magic'.

egellings

Major Contributor
Perhaps one complicating factor is that recent drivers of any quality tend to have shorting rings to minimize the inductance. Once upon a time that inductance variation may have tipped the performance in the favor of current drive.
Doesn't that shorting ring also thwart some of the voice coil's ability to move the cone, too?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't that shorting ring also thwart some of the voice coil's ability to move the cone, too?
A little, yes. But it has a drastic beneficial effect on distortion.

Randolf

I recently noticed that Avantgarde Acoustic claims to have/use somehing like a current source amplifier https://avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/sound-experience/itron/ for their super expensive horn speaker designs https://avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/products/trio-g3/

To me it looks more like marketing than serious engenering/science and the prices have one 0 too much for my taste. But maybe I am wrong and it at least sounds great for whatever exact technical reason. Presenting Ohm's Law and a high gloss picture of a 5 cent resistor at least looks suspicious to me.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I recently noticed that Avantgarde Acoustic claims to have/use somehing like a current source amplifier https://avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/sound-experience/itron/ for their super expensive horn speaker designs https://avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/products/trio-g3/

To me it looks more like marketing than serious engenering/science and the prices have one 0 too much for my taste. But maybe I am wrong and it at least sounds great for whatever exact technical reason. Presenting Ohm's Law and a high gloss picture of a 5 cent resistor at least looks suspicious to me.
Lot of marketing hype and simplified explanations ignoring how well voltage amplifiers work in the real world. An ideal voltage amplifier will deliver whatever current is needed, and an ideal current amplifier whatever voltage is required, with the end result on loudspeaker performance being comparable IME/IMO. The idea that their current amplifier perfectly controls the voice coil and all voltage amplifiers are fundamentally flawed when driving voice coils is an interesting stretch...

GlennGregor

They claim to be the first, however my 1983 Sony TA-F555ES is a Current Drive Integrated Amplifier, so Sony was actually the first. I do believe that Current Drive is superior to Voltage Drive.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
They claim to be the first, however my 1983 Sony TA-F555ES is a Current Drive Integrated Amplifier, so Sony was actually the first. I do believe that Current Drive is superior to Voltage Drive.
The TA-F555ES used a current-signaling scheme internally to route the analog signal from the preamp to the power amp. The power amp is not a current-mode amplifier but a regular class-AB voltage-mode design AFAIK.

GlennGregor

The TA-F555ES used a current-signaling scheme internally to route the analog signal from the preamp to the power amp. The power amp is not a current-mode amplifier but a regular class-AB voltage-mode design AFAIK.
Sony uses a voltage-to-current inverter. Their A.C.T. circuitry has a few stages. They use a Current Drive type attenuator between the pre-amp and power-amp stage. The pre-amp stage is also powered through a constant current shunt regulator.

GlennGregor

Stereo Review did an equipment test report on the Sony TA-F555ES. It’s in the June 83 magazine. I found a .pdf version of it online. Some of the report I don’t understand, but I do understand THD, headroom, and dynamic range. I don’t understand the clipping they talk about, also the second and third order harmonics and some test they did with a phono cartridge to see how quiet the unit was.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For all intents and purposes, your amp is not current drive. We’ve been through this defore:

Why you still insist it is, is beyond me :facepalm:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The TA-F555ES has a damping factor of 125 so cannot possibly be a current drive amplifier and is with 100% certainty a voltage drive amplifier (so near 0 ohm output R)

Top Bottom