• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Bang for the Buck Reel to Reel

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Apart from the audio quality, one overwhelming feature of the ATR range was the superbly gentle tape handling. They don't have a pinch roller for the capstan, it's purely as a speed sensor, the tape drive is done from the two spools, and if I remember correctly (it was over 40 years ago), they don't have any brakes which could snap or stretch delicate tapes, all braking is done by the servoes. If I were having to handle precious tapes, there isn't another machine I'd use as willingly.

S

I hear you, and if made my living as an archivist / transfer person, I could justify $5K on a giant industrial grade RTR.

But I have a day job and this is just for fun.

Superdad

Audio Company
Yes, the ATR machines really were in a league of their own. Mechanically and electrically. And Mike Spitz of ATR Service (https://atrservice.com/about-us/) still offers fantastic support--and mods to the series.

You mentioned the 440 series: I have a friend who had one--and he rebuilt it from the ground up. It really was very old tech a bit of a nightmare. (His 350/351 was lovely in comparison.) The 440's discrete head amps were very nice sounding, but as for the mechanics, really still a late-'60s/early-'70s kludge.
And the ATR700 and ATR800 that came after the ATR-100 series were really just Teac/Tascam machines. I had a couple of ATR800 units (gifted to me by a radio station). The weighed a frickin' ton and worked like crap. No comparison or value compared to a real ATR-100/101/102/104.

Superdad

Audio Company
BTW, I serviced a few of those Tandbergs in my youth. They really were a pain and not a logical or serviceable design. They were nothing special sound-wise, their heads wore fast, and there were so many other fine decks to choose from at the time. The Revox B77 units were mechanically better (though a Studer is much better), but for a modest consumer machine I'd sooner have a easy to service Teac. Of course the big Technics units are sublime for a vertical deck.

JS Hoover

A Pioneer RT-1050 or Teac 3300SX-2T would be the most basic entry point(s) into: three motor/10 1/2" reel/15ips two track machines (though, only NAB eq).
If one plans on scrapping the existing preamp section anyhow, there are a lot of under-the-radar "semi-pro" (as they were categorized in the '60s) industrial-looking 10 1/2" machines which already had 2-track headblocks and 15/7.5 speed combinations in place...one could source the transports ONLY from at considerable cost-savings: a Crown SX-822; Tapesonic 70T; Teac 7010; and Ampex 354 (a combination 351 drive with the not-very-well-regarded -though tube- preamp section of a 1962 Ampex PR-10).
Some may think the tension of transports this vintage would be really severe on more modern formula tapes, but: I, personally, would prefer the trade-off in their simplicity and ruggedness (being MUCH easier to facilitate repair); than the maze of wires and TTL microprocessor circuit controls of the pro grade machines 15-20 years newer.

Top Bottom