• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Auditory Scene Analysis

OP
J

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Civil works for me, but seriously, John, you've argued the importance of supersonic information many times. It's a regular theme in your posts. I would think you would have that bit of data, the only bit I recall that has ever supported that argument, at top of mind.

Tim
Well if civil is good for you, then drop the accusations of what measuring equipment I have or haven't - you know nothing about my lab & are only piggybacking on the insults you see others throwing at me.

It also might be an idea to not tell me how I should develop/measure & design my digital audio devices - it really isn't anything but uncivil

Tim, please show me where I've argued supersonic information in my posts - I honestly think you have misunderstood my posts
So no, I don't have those papers to hand - they may be important & groundbreaking to you but they are a btw to me - I'm much more interested in substantive aspects of ASA

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

OK, so you agree that all your questions have been answered so far.
And now you proceed t make accusations about my lack of equipment based on what?
I thank you for your recommendations & when you design products I'm sure you can put those thoughts into action.
For me, I'll do what I find brings me the most efficient results & if people also find my products worthwhile, I'll use that feedback as confirmation that I'm doing it right

Based on your posts here, and at WBF, John. If you have the gear and knowledge, and are fully measuring and testing your products in development, you also have my apology.

Tim

OP
J

John Kenny

Accepted. Now what were you saying about my references to supersonic sound? Do you owe me an apology on that too or is one apology a day enough for you?
Based on your posts here, and at WBF, John. If you have the gear and knowledge, and are fully measuring and testing your products in development, you also have my apology.

Tim

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Accepted. Now what were you saying about my references to supersonic sound? Do you owe me an apology on that too or is ones apology a day enough for you?

Nah. You talk about the immeasurable all the time. Same difference.

Tim

OP
J

John Kenny

Nah. You talk about the immeasurable all the time. Same difference.

Tim
I never said immeasurable either, Tim - I said what's currently not measured - you get the difference?
As I said, Tim, you didn't understand what I was saying & therefore translated it into something you thought I was saying (ultrasonics/immeasurables) - maybe now you have a better handle on it?
Want to apologise now or keep it for later?

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Oh, and if we're parsing words, does this...

"I never said immeasurable either, Tim - I said what's currently not measured - you get the difference?"

...mean what we're not currently capable of measuring, or what is not typically measured and listed by manufacturers in their specs? I want to be sure I do get the difference.

Tim

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
What question? I missed it

Not 100% sure: " Is there anything in this research that indicates that frequencies outside of the audible range are generating signals to the brain? "

And this was the answer: "Frequencies of Inaudible High-Frequency Sounds Differentially Affect Brain Activity: Positive and Negative Hypersonic Effects
"The hypersonic effect is a phenomenon in which sounds containing significant quantities of non-stationary high-frequency components (HFCs) above the human audible range (max. 20 kHz) activate the midbrain and diencephalon and evoke various physiological, psychological and behavioral responses. Yet important issues remain unverified, especially the relationship existing between the frequency of HFCs and the emergence of the hypersonic effect."

And if you want to go outside psychoacoustics & look at some other issues "

Sound from ultrasound""

OP
J

John Kenny

Oh, and if we're parsing words, does this...

"I never said immeasurable either, Tim - I said what's currently not measured - you get the difference?"

...mean what we're not currently capable of measuring, or what is not typically measured and listed by manufacturers in their specs? I want to be sure I do get the difference.

Tim
It means we are not currently measuring it because we don't know what to measure.

Phelonious Ponk

It means we are not currently measuring it because we don't know what to measure.

Immeasurable. And the last question was do you have the equipment and are you thoroughly measuring your products during development and testing?

Tim

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if we don't know what to measure how would you know of the effect of or existence of said phenomena that should be measured? Saying I hear it when I listen though only sighted is not an acceptable answer.

OP
J

John Kenny

Immeasurable. And the last question was do you have the equipment and are you thoroughly measuring your products during development and testing?

Tim
Tim, nobody thoroughly measures their products during development & testing. Keith might claim Weiss does but he's just drinking the cool-aid

What has this got to do with ASA?

Last edited:
OP
J

John Kenny

So if we don't know what to measure how would you know of the effect of or existence of said phenomena that should be measured? Saying I hear it when I listen though only sighted is not an acceptable answer.
Because, I can hear improvements sighted & blind. Others hear the same qualities I hear which confirms my evaluation.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Tim, nobody thoroughly measures their products during development & testing. Keith might claim Weiss does but he's just drinking the cool-aid

Ok let me try this from a different angle; what measurement equipment do you use to do what testing during product development?

Tim

OP
J

John Kenny

Ok let me try this from a different angle; what measurement equipment do you use to do what testing during product development?

Tim

I'm not interested in participating in your interrogation - it's of no benefit to me & no business of yours

This has gone on long enough & is attempting to drag another good thread into the gutter. No more answers from me on OT posts

Anybody want to delete their O/T posts in hindsight & clean up the thread - it will help future readers? It was a good thread up to the last page of snipping posts

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

This is hardly off-topic and not an attempt to drag this thread to Fight Club. It is merely an attempt to get you to answer a question. In lieu of an answer, I'll assume my observations were on target and no apologies are called for. I'll leave you to enjoy your thread now. Thanks.

Tim

OP
J

John Kenny

This is hardly off-topic and not an attempt to drag this thread to Fight Club. It is merely an attempt to get you to answer a question. In lieu of an answer, I'll assume my observations were on target and no apologies are called for. I'll leave you to enjoy your thread now. Thanks.

Tim

Top Bottom