• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

D

Deleted member 48726

Perhaps the pump in the water cooler is huge and inefficient, and taking 500W. Ever thought of that? :cool:
Ahh, then I would advice to get a frequency converter installed in combination with a PLC and a PT100 transmitter. A simple case of energy optimization.

Or maybe it's those 500 RGB lights that need to be dimmed.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
My point was that it heats up the room just as much as if it was air cooled. What kind of room is that, that can be heated by a ~100 W average dissipating electronics, a closet?;)
100W? More like 550...

A GPU at full swing is quite power hungry.

NegativeEntropy

Forum Donor
100W? More like 550...

A GPU at full swing is quite power hungry.
One needs to measure the average usage to know - my Precision laptop (with GPU) it on the order of 90 watts full tilt. Desktop more like 450 full tilt.

Actual “area under the curve” usage is very noisy though WRT power draw. One really has to measure (buy a Kill-a-Watt).

Can attest to gaming towers making a difference - we have 2 in a corner office (approx 13 ft per wall aka 16 meters squared) and with both running, and 2 humans using them, the room gets noticeably warmer with the door shut.

FYI - the humans are a non-trivial load: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/persons-heat-gain-d_242.html

Last edited:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audiophiles can be a sensitive bunch...

(Plus, some may feel threatened by clean sounding, light weight amplifiers.)

Perhaps.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My point was that it heats up the room just as much as if it was air cooled.

If the GPU/CPU is able to draw more power because it is being cooled more effectively, you will have more heat to dissipate, right?

D

Deleted member 48726

If the GPU/CPU is able to draw more power because it is being cooled more effectively, you will have more heat to dissipate, right?
If it is able to boost higher because of the chip being colder than when air cooled, yes. Most new GPU's are power limited rather than temperature limited though. Meaning the boost limit will be dictated by the power consumption limit in the vBIOS before reaching the temperature limit. At least when talking about desktop video cards.

Dissipated heat will still be equal to what power is being consumed.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If it is able to boost higher because of the chip being colder than when air cooled, yes.

Both my CPU and GPU clocked higher with improved cooling.

Dissipated heat will still be equal to what power is being consumed.

I don't think anyone is arguing that point.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Good ol' thermodynamics.

Boltzmanns-grave-at-Viennas-central-cemetery-Photo-taken-in-October-2010.ppm

I'd say that it killed poor Boltzmannn, but when it's all said and done, it kills everybody. :facepalm:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh, then I would advice to get a frequency converter installed in combination with a PLC and a PT100 transmitter. A simple case of energy optimization.
Yebbut by the time you've added that kit you're up at 800W :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VLT's are usually 90-98 % efficient.
Just like class D Amps, only when running at or near full power - and for the higher end of that range only on seriously high power drives.

(I recently reached the end of a 35 year carrier - mainly designing and developing the damn things - or project managing said developments)

Sorry - did I just make the mistake of taking your post too seriously? :p

Chr1

Forum Donor
Just glad I am not a gamer anymore.

Along with Bitcoin mining, it sure seems like a power hungry pastime.

I will stick to occasional use of my 140W valve amp!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just glad I am not a gamer anymore.

Along with Bitcoin mining, it sure seems like a power hungry pastime.

I will stick to occasional use of my 140W valve amp!

I have the current king of retail GPUs, and a highish end CPU, and when it's all going full tilt boogie there is a lot of heat pouring out. The cats like to sit on the table above the computer as it gets nice and toasty.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Nice one. My cat Daryl used to look forward to when I switched over to the valve amp and used to sit in front of it enjoying the glow. Still think of him when I fire it up. Along with the electric blanket that we use in the winter, it was his favourite household implement. Still miss my wee pal. Ho hum.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
One needs to measure the average usage to know - my Precision laptop (with GPU) it on the order of 90 watts full tilt. Desktop more like 450 full tilt.

Actual “area under the curve” usage is very noisy though WRT power draw. One really has to measure (buy a Kill-a-Watt).

Can attest to gaming towers making a difference - we have 2 in a corner office (approx 13 ft per wall aka 16 meters squared) and with both running, and 2 humans using them, the room gets noticeably warmer with the door shut.

FYI - the humans are a non-trivial load: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/persons-heat-gain-d_242.html
I water-cooled a 7900 XTX and a Ryzen 7 for a reason...

Top Bottom