• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

steve59

Major Contributor
I used a radio shack analog db meter to level match them. I'm suggesting differences that I may be indifferent to or even deaf to is a specific tonal character the other guy is placing his buying decision on and I can't tell him it doesn't matter. I'm inclined to agree some speakers are easy loads and these amps could sound alike. I thought we were already in agreement that component matching mattered as we go up the ladder? isn't that why so many flatly recommend benchmark vs whatever brand class D is latest off the line?

Last edited:

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I doubt you'll assure anyone here, unless those comparisons were done blind, level matched and statistically relevant. ;)
Speak for yourself. That is not the only perspective that is allowed or practiced in this forum.

MAB

Major Contributor
Speak for yourself. That is not the only perspective that is allowed or practiced in this forum.
Anecdotes don't work here. Proof does though.
Properly working amps are not distinguishable:
This was studied in the `1970's and 1980's. People can't tell amps apart under most circumstances. Amps with high output impedance driving low impedance speakers. Amps with large amount of noise. Amps not operating properly.

steve59

Major Contributor
The biggest difference I notice from wbf, AS, or other audiophile forums is the're less angry. I've never read a post suggesting members that use class D amps can "get in the f@4king sea" if they prefer something different.
If someone wants to build a quality system on a budget that doesn't affect the retirement fund this place is awesome, but open hostility generally sends people the other direction.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think these guys have a specific sound they're trying to get into their room and they have the money to try every combination of amps, pre amps and cables to achieve it.

Maybe these guys should spend a little time learning instead of just believing nutty stories.

I have 3 integrated amps with similar power ratings and my current mac kit and I assure you guys each of these sources cause my current speakers to sound different.

Assurances aren't evidence. You've been here long enough to know how far that goes.

There was this guy on the motorcycle forums that bought a honda 600 c.c. that took up a crusade to TEACH everybody why that bike made harleys obsolete.

And this has what to do with components that can't be differentiated under controlled tests? Do you believe anyone conscious couldn't tell the difference when riding a Honda 600 vs a Harley?

The biggest difference I notice from wbf, AS, or other audiophile forums is the're less angry.

Unless you try to introduce reason into any of their silly nonsense. Then you are one step below Satan. You do realize they make money off the ignorance out there...

steve59

Major Contributor
Anecdotes don't work here. Proof does though.
Properly working amps are not distinguishable:
This was studied in the `1970's and 1980's. People can't tell amps apart under most circumstances. Amps with high output impedance driving low impedance speakers. Amps with large amount of noise. Amps not operating properly.
Who are these people, what's their interest and investment? Remember the ad's when the masses couldn't hear the difference between live and the first telephone? For me a truck is a tool to get me and my tools to work and back, carry lumber to side jobs on occasional weekends, to car and driver there's more differences than similarities?

MAB

Major Contributor
Who are these people, what's their interest and investment? Remember the ad's when the masses couldn't hear the difference between live and the first telephone?
AES. Scientists. Peer-reviewed journal publications.
For me a truck is a tool to get me and my tools to work and back, carry lumber to side jobs on occasional weekends, to car and driver there's more differences than similarities?
Hilarious!

steve59

Major Contributor
I hadn't intended to get a moderator's attention.
#1. Fair enough, but wouldn't you agree audiophiles and scientists have different agendas?
#2. Anyone going to Axpona is welcome to come check it out, bring a friend I live 20 minutes from the hotel.
#3. I thought the comparison was obvious. For some the music is the experience and for others the music is the destination and the equipment is the journey.
#4. 1 step below satin, really? Because I enjoy the journey I dreamed about for 40+ years of carpentry construction? Because my current speakers can bring average amps to their knees? or am I a step below satin because I dare suggest these things on this thread? please clarify so I can adjust my comments/where/if I place them accordingly

welwynnick

Forum Donor
This forum is full of people demanding evidence from others, yet providing nothing themselves.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

steve59

Major Contributor
Venn diagram fail.

So they're incompetently designed?
you tell me.

Well gents I wish I could say it was fun, but...let's say I walked into the wrong room and took too long finding the exit. Good day.

MAB

Major Contributor
This forum is full of people demanding evidence from others, yet providing nothing themselves.
The study I posted is evidence. Did you read? Do you accept accept peer-reviewed journals. How about Stereophile self-owning when staff can't discern amps apart?

Do you accept Ohm's Law? Do you need to recheck V=IR every time you operate an electrical device?

In fact, I can measure and hear amp differences with a speaker (for instance), but it isn't what you think.

I think you should read the posts before you answer.

MAB

Major Contributor
you tell me.

Well gents I wish I could say it was fun, but...let's say I walked into the wrong room and took too long finding the exit. Good day.
You seem to often not know that there are actually scientists and engineers on this forum with working knowledge of acoustics and human response to sound. It is humorous to see your responses.
Because my current speakers can bring average amps to their knees?
KEF Blade in your signature your current speakers? If so, is that bringing your amps to their knees? You do not have a hard to drive speaker.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
You seem to often not know that there are actually scientists and engineers on this forum with working knowledge of acoustics and human response to sound.
Some of them think they're scientists, but only to the extent of self aggrandisement, with little more than lip service to what science and this this forum should really be about. Real scientists don't think they already know all there is to know, and sit fat and happy, telling everyone the World is flat because someone else told them it is. Real scientists always doubt their own understanding and have enquiring minds that seek to extend knowledge through an continual process of observation, experimentation and deduction.

oleg87

Real scientists always doubt their own understanding and have enquiring minds that seek to extend knowledge through an continual process of observation, experimentation and deduction.
Sure - once we have evidence to back a seemingly extraordinary claim, it's worth discussing. Until then, something that is far more likely to be a psychoacoustic illusion is probably just that. Working engineers and scientists actually don't waste their time on flat-Earthism and similar crankery. Though scientists are certainly not immune to deluding themselves either.

Last edited:

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The study I posted is evidence.
It appeared to me he directed that comment toward the other guy. I.e., you provided evidence, he didn't. But, maybe I misunderstood.

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom