• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Theodore8

Forum Donor
I tried the patch. It works. I had to apply it twice. The first try threw up a hash error. The second time it worked. I'm now on Moode 8.3.3. This will be part of the Linux kernel but the time is uncertain. Tim Curtis, the principal developer of Moode, says that if Moode is upgraded before the patch is incorporated in the kernel you'll have to apply the patch again. I'm guessing that the patch will work with other Raspberry Pi audio software that's gone to the 6.x Linux kernel but YMMV.
Hello,

Could you explain, in the simplest possible terms, what one must do to "install the patch".

I went on the page, and the whole thing is Greek to me.

Thank you very much!

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Could you explain, in the simplest possible terms, what one must do to "install the patch".
It's a single line terminal command. In most cases you have to send the command twice, you get an error message the 1st time:

Command :
sudo rpi-update pulls/5510

(Please correct me on this...but it worked for me)

If on Moode, turn on terminal services 1st if you have not done that:

In Moode: Enable terminal access: m → Configure → System → Local Service → SSH term server → ON.
Once terminal access is enabled, click the OPEN button under SSH term server. This launches the moOde login.
Enter “pi” and then the password “moodeaudio” when prompted.

Last edited:

Theodore8

Forum Donor
It's a single line terminal command. In most cases you have to send the command twice, you get an error message the 1st time:

Command :
sudo rpi-update pulls/5510

(Please correct me on this...but it worked for me)

If on Moode, turn on terminal services 1st if you have not done that:

In Moode: Enable terminal access: m → Configure → System → Local Service → SSH term server → ON.
Once terminal access is enabled, click the OPEN button under SSH term server. This launches the moOde login.
Enter “pi” and then the password “moodeaudio” when prompted.
Fantastic. Thank you so much!

mash

If I don't want to screw with the patch can I assume that the fix will eventually be incorporated into the Linux kernal and available through a future Moode distribution? (and just stay at 8.3.0 until then)

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Is anyone running LMS/Squeezebox off one of these? If so what OS are you using? I encountered what I think was a conflict between Max2Play and an LMS update that I couldn't resolve and I had to revert to an old Digione player. Thanks.

Sister_Ray

Interesting point, I found its WiFi to be subpar as well, but figured that a dongle would fix this (it is backorder together with the Boss2). Perhaps a separate solution is indeed a better idea...
Now that the RPi 4 2GB is available again, I ended up ordering two of those (plus aluminium heatsink case and 3A adapter) + 2 SMSL SU-1 DACs (116dB SINAD for less than $80). It's an even cheaper (and on paper, better) streamer + DAC solution (albeit not integrated) than the Boss2 (ca. €150 all together).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the RPi 4 2GB is available again, I ended up ordering two of those (plus aluminium heatsink case and 3A adapter) + 2 SMSL SU-1 DACs (116dB SINAD for less than $80). It's an even cheaper (and on paper, better) streamer + DAC solution (albeit not integrated) than the Boss2 (ca. €150 all together).
ROPIEE? Moode?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or DietPi as on the Boss2? Not really a Pi connoisseur, I basically just need it to be a Roon endpoint. Which would you advise?
I've been a ROPIEEXL user for a couple of years. It's been 'set it and forget it' for me, and my guests (and me when I use Idagio) can use the airplay/shareplay functionality rather than Roon as needed. I've used Volumio, and the client was buggy with android tablets, and a little touchy overall. I haven't tried DietPi so I can't speak to it.

Sister_Ray

I've been a ROPIEEXL user for a couple of years. It's been 'set it and forget it' for me, and my guests (and me when I use Idagio) can use the airplay/shareplay functionality rather than Roon as needed. I've used Volumio, and the client was buggy with android tablets, and a little touchy overall. I haven't tried DietPi so I can't speak to it.
I think I'll also go for RoPieee XL, because I can't seem to get my girlfriend on the Roon bandwagon. Thanks for the suggestion.

kdickin2

The patch worked on DietPi and I can now use the BOSS2 as a Roon endpoint and a Spotify Connect streamer.

rafacq

I tried the patch. It works. I had to apply it twice. The first try threw up a hash error. The second time it worked. I'm now on Moode 8.3.3. This will be part of the Linux kernel but the time is uncertain. Tim Curtis, the principal developer of Moode, says that if Moode is upgraded before the patch is incorporated in the kernel you'll have to apply the patch again. I'm guessing that the patch will work with other Raspberry Pi audio software that's gone to the 6.x Linux kernel but YMMV.
I tried to upgrade to moOde v8 a few weeks ago and was never able to make it work. Went back to v7. Guess I’ll wait for a fix for the Allo Boss2. For now, no issues with v7.

I have two of the Allo Boss2 and really think they sound great with my STR-AZ5000ES (den) and my Yamaha RX-A2A (office).

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Release Notes do not explicitly say kernel has been updated but you get the impression it is fixed in 8.3.4. You could try installing the latest version, now 8.3.5 on another SD card and see how you go. Even if it has not been fixed you can install 8.3.5 and do the patch as described by @GGroch

You must use the Raspberrypi Imager app, see the Setup Notes (This may have discussed elsewhere in the forum). The process works quite well as the Imager will download the software.

As an aside, I have 4 RPI4 that I have recently changed to moode. I found moode's backup and restore feature very handy. I was able to do a base install on the first unit. Set up all my parameters via the GUI including hostname, NAS and additional internet radio sites. I then did a backup, again via the GUI.

On my PC I edited the host name in the config file followed by as new install of moode on the next RPI. I then logged in, performed a restore using the modified file and rebooted. I edited the config file again and proceeded to the next RPI4, and so on. It was all very quick.

kchap

Forum Donor
Moode version 8.3.5 is using the older version of the kernel, the patched version not officially been released into the wild. I do not need the patch as my RPI4s use USB DACs but I decided give the upgrade a go.

Login using ssh and check current kernel version:
user@moode:~ $ uname -srv
Linux 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023

Enter command the update command. It wil as advised by @GGroch
user@moode:~ $ sudo rpi-update pulls/5510
*** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
*** Invalid hash given

Run the command again. Be patient, there will be a couple of times where nothing seems to be happening:
user@moode:~ $ sudo rpi-update pulls/5510
*** Syncing changes to disk
*** If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully updated to d11d56e8a92cb8c03a51d151153c34276c2ff344
*** A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware

Perform a reboot:
user@moode:~ $ sudo shutdown -r now

Login using ssh and check current kernel version:
user@moode:~ $ uname -srv
Linux 6.1.34-v8+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 20 10:29:00 UTC 2023

Done!

kchap

Forum Donor
I just did an upgrade from 8.3.5 to 8.3.6. The update kept the kernel at the 6.1.34-v8+ (patched) version. I did not have to reinstall the patch.

m8o

Forum Donor
Any reader here in the know as to whether Allo is still operational? I just bought two Boss v1.2 off the UK Pi Hut site (they had 8 when I did so, and I was amazed to find that to be so), though what I really wanted was Boss v2. But there are none of those to be found anywhere. And Allo disabled their own eCommerce function on their site to take backorders. And where reps/insiders used to be very active on Roon Community and here, they no longer are.

Did the lengthy lack of Raspberry Pi availability until very recently have the unfortunate side-effect of putting Allo out of business? That would really suck.

rafacq

I’m so lucky I have two Allo Boss2. I recently looked at the Allo website and couldn’t find anything in stock.

I recently bought an Eversolo DMP-A6 and can truthfully say both Allo Boss 2 and Eversolo DMP-A6 sound very similar to me. Of course, the beautiful screen on the Eversolo DMP-A6 is just gorgeous. Then it is 4 times the price of the Allo Boss 2.

I may sell one of my Allo Boss 2.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Allo Boss2 (RPI4) for sale with Nirvana power supply, Wifi Dongle, 16GB SD card and Moode. Paid $286 Sept 2021 direct from Allo after reading the ASR review. Asking $175. I used it for two months. Should have sold it long ago. :)
Let me know if interested.

MrHifiTunes

I have an Allo Boss2 (RPI4) for sale with Nirvana power supply, Wifi Dongle, 16GB SD card and Moode. Paid $286 Sept 2021 direct from Allo after reading the ASR review. Asking $175. I used it for two months. Should have sold it long ago. :)
Let me know if interested.
Why you "should have sold it long time ago"?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why you "should have sold it long time ago"?

Because I replaced it with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and a standard RPI4 with Moode in Jan 2022. Boxed up the Allo Boss2 and did not use it after that.

Top Bottom