• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All About UFO's

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the idea is that if youre an alien who has managed to cobble togther a ship that can get here from Proxima Centauri then you had little to fear from a race who cant even get to the mars...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i think the idea is that if youre an alien who has managed to cobble togther a ship that can get here from Proxima Centauri then you had little to fear from a race who cant even get to the mars...
I don't know, I think we are pretty dangerous to them. Someone's knocking at your door? Don't ask questions, just open fire:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kansas-c...ing-teen-front-porch-turns-himself-makes-plea

According to Newsweek we seem to be blasting away at UFOs all the time:

Captain Cook had a ship that could circumnavigate the globe but that didn't prevent him from getting whacked out on the beach by the indigenous personnel - who hadn't even got around to inventing the wheel yet.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
strange when how mostly making money on aliens mostly when shouldn't they be free ? seems odd to me , kinder like alien slavery selling it all for greedy amounts of capitalising money , for which ,

View attachment 318936
"We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly."

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1697430955372.png

Jim Creek

If a species can travel lightyears then they must have the technology to travel faster than light. If they have the technology to travel faster than light then they must have the technology to be undetectable by humans. To claim UAP sightings are super advanced alien technology doesn’t make sense to me.

oceansize

Forum Donor
If a species can travel lightyears then they must have the technology to travel faster than light. If they have the technology to travel faster than light then they must have the technology to be undetectable by humans. To claim UAP sightings are super advanced alien technology doesn’t make sense to me.
Not necessarily. Von Neumann probes:-
It has been theorized[3] that a self-replicating starship utilizing relatively conventional theoretical methods of interstellar travel (i.e., no exotic faster-than-light propulsion, and speeds limited to an "average cruising speed" of 0.1c.) could spread throughout a galaxy the size of the Milky Way in as little as half a million years

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If a species can travel lightyears then they must have the technology to travel faster than light. If they have the technology to travel faster than light then they must have the technology to be undetectable by humans
Why does that follow?

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
Or they aren’t there, and/or faster than light travel is impossible, or space travel is really really dangerous especially for travel even one light year.

Jim Creek

Why does that follow?
Common sense. Developing FTL technology is such an incredible advancement that detection avoidance would be relatively easy.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Common sense. Developing FTL technology is such an incredible advancement that detection avoidance would be relatively easy.
Says who? Maybe it’s the other way around…

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
which begs the question, how on earth would we see FTL travel. What would it look like arm chair physicists.

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
^^I am familiar but this is very theoretical. Becuase it is theoretical, does not mean it is possible…

Do you have any physicists who have some respectability working on this as an actual thing? I think I will see what Sean Carroll says on his next AMA.

“As Farnes' theory allows a positive mass (i.e. a ship) to reach a speed equal to the speed of light, it has been dubbed "controversial".[17] If the theory is correct, which has been highly debated in the scientific literature, it would explain dark energy, dark matter, allow closed timelike curves (see time travel), and suggest that an Alcubierre drive is physically possible with exotic matter.[18]

P.S. i would love for this stuff to be true, but being a good Bayesian, I am expressing my doubts…

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I would think that detection avoidance would be (heh-heh-heh) unavoidable for something "moving faster than the speed of light". :)
Is "FTL technology" actually a thing? Has Musk started a company yet?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
^^I am familiar but this is very theoretical. Becuase it is theoretical, does not mean it is possible…

Do you have any physicists who have some respectability working on this as an actual thing? I think I will see what Sean Carroll says on his next AMA.

“As Farnes' theory allows a positive mass (i.e. a ship) to reach a speed equal to the speed of light, it has been dubbed "controversial".[17] If the theory is correct, which has been highly debated in the scientific literature, it would explain dark energy, dark matter, allow closed timelike curves (see time travel), and suggest that an Alcubierre drive is physically possible with exotic matter.[18]

P.S. i would love for this stuff to be true, but being a good Bayesian, I am expressing my doubts…

Or

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But you are assuming FTL is necessaary. As has been pointed out - it isn't. Many planets in the milky way far older than ours, giving enough time to develop intelligent life, and explore the galaxy at sub light speed.

Of course - between developing sufficient technology to start that exporation and reaching us (perhaps around 1/2 a million years), their tech would develop immeasurably beyond ours. So hiding from us is probably trivial for them - with or without FTL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom