• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add SPDIF to Topping DM7 8-channel DAC

312elements

Maybe this would help:
What do you have the RME plugged into (computer)? Is it powerful? Do you use the optical inputs for your sources or is the computer the only source? Any lip sync issues to speak of? I just read the specs on the RME and it looks like they want a minimum of an old core 2 duo chip. Hard to tell how that compares to modern celeron chips in fanless mini PC’s.

ppataki

Major Contributor
What do you have the RME plugged into (computer)? Is it powerful? Do you use the optical inputs for your sources or is the computer the only source? Any lip sync issues to speak of? I just read the specs on the RME and it looks like they want a minimum of an old core 2 duo chip. Hard to tell how that compares to modern celeron chips in fanless mini PC’s.
Yes, the RME is connected to a computer via USB and that is my only source
Then the 3 amps are connected to the RME via optical TOSLINK
Zero lip sync issues (not even with linear phase filtering)
My PC has an Intel Core i5-13400 CPU so I think it is relatively powerful
I guess a Celeron shall be enough for the RME but you can ask their support team, they are very helpful (and precise, you know, Germans :))
Have you dropped the idea of the U-DIO8 completely?

312elements

Yes, the RME is connected to a computer via USB and that is my only source
Then the 3 amps are connected to the RME via optical TOSLINK
Zero lip sync issues (not even with linear phase filtering)
My PC has an Intel Core i5-13400 CPU so I think it is relatively powerful
I guess a Celeron shall be enough for the RME but you can ask their support team, they are very helpful (and precise, you know, Germans :))
Have you dropped the idea of the U-DIO8 completely?
I haven't but I've spent a lot of time researching. There are just so many ways to do this that it's a little intimidating. Speakers are just about ready for veneering so I've got to start making some decisions. I'm leaning hard towards the RME. Time to fire off a message to them I think.

312elements

Their exact words were that any computer from the last decade will work fine so I should be OK with the Celeron. The RME is a little bit more expensive, but much easier to buy and potentially return here, so I think I'm going to go with that.

ppataki

Major Contributor
OK, cool! I hope you will have fun with it
I agree there are so many options and so many different combinations.....in the last 20 years I have been trying all sorts of stuff
What speakers have you built if I may ask?

312elements

OK, cool! I hope you will have fun with it
I agree there are so many options and so many different combinations.....in the last 20 years I have been trying all sorts of stuff
What speakers have you built if I may ask?

It's somewhat inspired by a KEF Blade but by no means a clone. The front facing driver is a mark audio Maop 5 and there are 4 CSS LDW7's in a dual opposed configuration on the sides. Measurements will dictate the actual crossover point but it will be somewhere between 150hz and 400hz. What I like about the Maop 5 is that the beaming is really well controlled, but like yourself, I'm all about the MLP. There's only one chair in the room.

ppataki

Major Contributor
It's somewhat inspired by a KEF Blade but by no means a clone. The front facing driver is a mark audio Maop 5 and there are 4 CSS LDW7's in a dual opposed configuration on the sides. Measurements will dictate the actual crossover point but it will be somewhere between 150hz and 400hz. What I like about the Maop 5 is that the beaming is really well controlled, but like yourself, I'm all about the MLP. There's only one chair in the room.
That sounds great!!!
I would be curious to see some picture and some measurements later on :)

312elements

That sounds great!!!
I would be curious to see some picture and some measurements later on :)
Have you tried using the toslink sources on the RME? I think I could do most of what I want on the right computer, but not the one I had planned on purchasing. I’d imagine the latency would be problematic with something like a ps5. By the way, what are you using for software?

ppataki

Major Contributor
Have you tried using the toslink sources on the RME? I think I could do most of what I want on the right computer, but not the one I had planned on purchasing. I’d imagine the latency would be problematic with something like a ps5. By the way, what are you using for software?

You mean the TOSLINK inputs? No, I have never tried those but in theory you could DSP the incoming signal in Jriver
I am using Jriver as the player/DSP software - AFAIK that is the best solution available today
You can use its built-in DSP capabilities (like per channel PEQ (incl. HPF/LPF, Linkwitz Transform....), Delay, Volume, etc.) + you can use any third party VST plugins which is the icing on the cake
I strongly recommend its Internal Volume Control too - it has 64-bit precision and a Protection feature

9h9m

No sync issue whatsoever
I have not tried connecting different DACs to it
I have three Sabaj A30A connected to it and it works like a charm
Just on another note: next month I will order a miniDSP U-DIO8 just to test it (and to see how it compares to the RME)
Hi there, just wonder if you have tried the miniDSP U-DIO8 and compared it to the RME. I'm thinking of getting one too.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I finally got my U-DIO8 :)

20240417_121234.jpg

Let's start with the objective observations:
- plug & play once I installed the driver for Windows - literally nothing to be adjusted in the driver's menu
- unlike with RME Digiface the channel mapping does not change when the sample rate is changed - this is a HUGE advantage for me
- unlike with RME Digiface I can properly use WASAPI mode (it reacts to sample rate change)
- breakout cable seems a bit cheapo but I guess (hope) it does the job well
- I have a jitter correction setting on my Sabaj A30A - with RME Digiface I needed to increase jitter correction to avoid audio dropouts; now with U-DIO8 I can lower the jitter correction and still have no dropouts. This literally means that U-DIO8 must have less jitter

Subjectively speaking I would probably fail a blind test

I am going to sell my RME Digiface now :)

Top Bottom