• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

“If you can’t hear this, you’re not an audiophile…”

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always hotly deny it, in any event ;)

shuppatsu

YouTube suggested this to me, and I fell for the clickbait. I'm a little annoyed by the whole exercise. He claims that there's something wrong with the recording, but the thing he points out is purposeful and common practice. It's actually something that bothers me a bit for "naturalistic" recordings like this, but it's a tradeoff that many engineers (and presumably listeners) are happy with. So claiming something is "wrong" about the recording is simply an unsubstantiated opinion on how performances ought to be recorded.

I take the "then you're not an audiophile" angle to be snark and clickbait. But it still pisses me off that he asks us to listen intently (twice!) to a piece only to pull out that cheap punchline.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
YouTube suggested this to me, and I fell for the clickbait. I'm a little annoyed by the whole exercise. He claims that there's something wrong with the recording, but the thing he points out is purposeful and common practice. It's actually something that bothers me a bit for "naturalistic" recordings like this, but it's a tradeoff that many engineers (and presumably listeners) are happy with. So claiming something is "wrong" about the recording is simply an unsubstantiated opinion on how performances ought to be recorded.

I take the "then you're not an audiophile" angle to be snark and clickbait. But it still pisses me off that he asks us to listen intently (twice!) to a piece only to pull out that cheap punchline.

Not cheap. A valid point.

We often discuss what it means to be an audiophile, and when it ‘goes too far’. This is a good example of where bring an audiophile results in not being able to see the wood for trees.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just discovered this guy and I find him annoying. His logic is often flawed. I am talking about his video on dithering.

Ricardus

As I said, I thought he’d lose a lot in translation.
I come from the audio engineering world and he just says silly things. I have trouble understanding his motivations unless they're just clicks.

shuppatsu

Not cheap. A valid point.

We often discuss what it means to be an audiophile, and when it ‘goes too far’. This is a good example of where bring an audiophile results in not being able to see the wood for trees.
So do you think that there is something wrong with the recording he used? What about this one? Or this one, seemingly recorded from the drummer's seat but also featuring the typical "40-foot wide" piano sound?

These recording techniques are extremely common. I find them to be distracting in an "uncanny valley" sort of way, but they also place you "in the music" in a way. I personally prefer more naturalistic recordings for classical and jazz, like mid-60s Miles. But I think that's mostly fallen by the wayside. And there's no right or wrong, only tradeoffs.

So yes, it's cheap. He's having us jump through all these hoops to find out what's wrong with the recording, only to point out something that isn't an actual defect.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
So do you think that there is something wrong with the recording he used? What about this one? Or this one, seemingly recorded from the drummer's seat but also featuring the typical "40-foot wide" piano sound?

These recording techniques are extremely common. I find them to be distracting in an "uncanny valley" sort of way, but they also place you "in the music" in a way. I personally prefer more naturalistic recordings for classical and jazz, like mid-60s Miles. But I think that's mostly fallen by the wayside. And there's no right or wrong, only tradeoffs.

So yes, it's cheap. He's having us jump through all these hoops to find out what's wrong with the recording, only to point out something that isn't an actual defect.

I have to disagree.

If it were some sort of experimental recording, maybe contemporary classical, that might be different. But this was a straight classical recording, and it shouldn’t be there.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I come from the audio engineering world and he just says silly things. I have trouble understanding his motivations unless they're just clicks.

Define “I come from audio engineering”.

I mean if you were a producer, or engineer, or similar, you’d just say so.

Just asking!

David Mellor’s credentials are beyond reproach.

Ricardus

Define “I come from audio engineering”.

I mean if you were a producer, or engineer, or similar, you’d just say so.

I did say so.

Just asking!

David Mellor’s credentials are beyond reproach.
Well his youtbe channel is a joke. Granted, I've only been able to stomach watching about 6 videos but I'm baffled by his choices.

shuppatsu

I have to disagree.

If it were some sort of experimental recording, maybe contemporary classical, that might be different. But this was a straight classical recording, and it shouldn’t be there.
Do you disagree that this is extremely common these days, even in straight classical recording? Did you listen to the Fischer example I linked? Here's a recent Mozart violin concerto recording. Here's Yo-Yo Ma, solo Bach. Here's another one. And another.

Or do you disagree with my contention that it's a choice with tradeoffs, rather than a mistake? If so, the recording engineer in the comments of that video will set you straight.

Or do you agree that it's a choice and in fact the current recording fashion, but you just don't like it? Hey, me too!

Or you just don't agree with me that it's cheap for Mellor to run this kind of misdirection play in search of clicks? I suppose that's your prerogative. But make no mistake: it is misdirection in search of clicks.

1687981617295.png

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
I am not sure I understand the belligerence above. I didn't like the title of his video but the implication that so called audiophiles have problems defining what they think they hear is true.

Maybe this recording has some minor faults. It does. But you have to be truly anal to be focussed so much to "hear" that the clarinet is moving a little in place.

It would have been more honest to describe the situation as some issues arising with mutimic recordings and how they can create a rather "unbalanced" sound at home if one focuses deeply.

I'd rather listen and enjoy the music.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
It’s not moving ‘a little’. Every time you over or under exaggerate a point, you diminish your own argument.

By the way, whether or not you like his videos’ titles is completely immaterial. The fact you felt it was something to point out only further diminishes your argument.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
It’s not moving ‘a little’. Every time you over or under exaggerate a point, you diminish your own argument.

By the way, whether or not you like his videos’ titles is completely immaterial. The fact you felt it was something to point out only further diminishes your argument.
Are you talking to me? Why so much anger? You need some Newcastle Brown before typing.

Andysu

Major Contributor
YouBaitTube

200.gif

Iy8a (1).gif

Top Bottom