• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

• Yes

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • No

Votes: 76 75.2%

• Total voters

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not about what they choose. It’s about the stories they tell themselves and others about what they choose.

Rick “fidelity starts with not lying” Denney

Peterinvan

I'm curious.

As most of us here are here for enlightenment and actual real world science and substance to decide what is potentially a good investment or not I find it really rather strange that a large number of people still refer to themselves in such a way. The term 'audiophile' to me is almost derogatory and signals being one of the cult, the simple of mind lead by the influencers masquerading as reviewers and in so many cases genuinely believing they are some kind of oracle that would have the mighty lord creator bowing at their feet. Seems like something people here should maybe try to avoid, after all the term 'audiophile' is such an industry and influencer created trope to herd the flock into a bracket whereby they are lead to believe that with the badge comes greatness and they have been bestowed with the elevation above any doubters or anyone that questions.

Each to their own and all that, but it really seems like a cliché that people who think and like to be genuinely armed with knowledge rather than the promise and fable of some false prophet. I love music and a good sound system but I've never referred to myself as an audiophile, it's self deficating in my mind.

How do others feel regarding this?
I love music (playing and listening).

To me, being an audiophile means I enjoy pursuing and obtaining the best quality in reproduction that my budget will allow. I admit that sometimes I cannot tell what improvement can be detected. However my view is that if I am listening to the best that I can afford, I will not miss out. I want to get to the stage where I am no longer listening to the equipment, but rather to the recording. The down side is that I regularly purge a track from my playlists because the poor recording quality is distracting.

I prefer to live with a minimal set of beliefs, and seek empirical evidence wherever possible.

I believe that attentive listening to music is beneficial to my development, especially when it supports my "Be Here Now" meditation.

I believe in the Zen objective of quietening my "Monkey Mind", and am working towards that end, using music to help my consciousness focus away from the very demanding distractions of memory scanning, mental script writing, worrying, future speculation, etc.

I am following news on "Music Therapy".

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I say I'm a 'audiophile' because I like great sound: detailed, airy, crisp, with articulate bass. I'm not afraid to say I'm an audiophile because I refuse to be stuck with stereotype of a person who believes that can hear difference between two lengths of wire that happen to be wrapped in different colored insulation.

Top Bottom