• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEW AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S2503E. 3E Audio 260-2-29A Amplifier

garrett.owens

This amp cost 448EU including shipping to the US. Seems more than fair considering what the individual parts cost to DIY.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.25.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 10.25.50 PM.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 64

morpheusX

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss those 20 pound transformers, beer can sized caps, and fancy aluminum heat spreaders.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I miss those 20 pound transformers, beer can sized caps, and fancy aluminum heat spreaders.
High power ones able to drive from down low are still like this no matter the class,can't fool physics.

Edit:If fan is out of the picture.

DTTOM37

I'm from Germany and I can confirm Audiophonics is a top notch retailer für Audio-DIY. Bought a lot of stuff there because they have a fantastic collection and some unique stuff you don't find anywhere. Don't let yourself get fooled by the views in google maps. Southern french don't care about maintaining buildings. It's a chilled vibe down there, almost California like. Wholesome people, nice beaches.
And even there, smaller communities have industrial zones (Z.I.) where workfloors and warehousing are located, usually.

zonk

Good luck for everyone that is buying there.

I made a few orders there (Topping D90, Minidsp Ears, cables, connectors etc.). In one of my last orders I purchased one of the highly praised cheap IEMs.

The package of the IEMs that I received was not wrapped in plastic, and the package had some marks. When I listened the first time with the IEMs I heard very ear piercing highs, so I never used this IEMs again. Some time later before I was intended to make another order at this seller, I sent an email to the seller an asked the support if there are known problems with these IEMs because they are not usable for me, and I was telling them that the package that I received was not wrapped so I was asking if it's possible that they have sent me one that was sent back by another user or maybe a defective unit. The FR of these IEMs have been measured by many people and not one measurements showed high peaks in the high FR region, so this earpiercing highs were not reasonable.

After some of messages back and forth the seller offered me to test the IEMs but if he cannot find a defect I have to pay a fee that was way above double the value of the IEM. Simply ridiculous. Finally the seller called me a cheater and that I want to betray them and why did I wait 2 months to report my issue.

I spent there maybe 1500 Euros or more and they made such an hassle for a cheap IEM. I would never ever buy there again.

morpheusX

I'm considering this AP300-S2503E Power Amplifier 3E Audio PFFB vs the AP300-S250NC Power Amplifier Ncore NC252MP

This will power 2 Beyma TPL-150H

I'm leaning towards the 3E Audio PFFB due to the lower gain (20db) vs (25db), as the TPL are 102db.

Any opinion on which should be preferred?

This seems to indicate the 3E Audio "might" (as this implementation is not the same as the audiophonics) be preferred:

I tested the configuration before implementation. No interference to declare) Note that the version that Amir tested has a simple Mono configuration (one PSU / One module), and not dual Mono. To give you an idea : with my speakers equipped with Heil ESS AMT3 (96db), even at the highest volume level, ears glued to the ESS tweeters, absolutely dead silence. (which was not the case with my Purifi and NC252MP for example)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
My PA5 started to exhibit the known problems, and i sent it to Audiophonics, which offered me a store credit for the amount i've paid.
I'm considering this AP300-S2503E Power Amplifier 3E Audio PFFB vs the AP300-S250NC Power Amplifier Ncore NC252MP

This will power 2 Beyma TPL-150H

I'm leaning towards the 3E Audio PFFB due to the lower gain (20db) vs (25db), as the TPL are 102db.

Any opinion on which should be preferred?

I owned many class D amplifier. Got two NC500MP, two NC252MP, and one NC250MP + NC122MP and 2 Purifi amps with different buffers.
If I consider the performance/price ratio, I stay with the 3E Audio but only on the DIY side. I wont get that RTR (ready to run) amplifier.

morpheusX

If I consider the performance/price ratio, I stay with the 3E Audio but only on the DIY side. I wont get that RTR (ready to run) amplifier.
I don't have the skills for DIY, so i have to get a RTR amplifier.
Given the two options i've mentioned, the AP300-S2503E Power Amplifier 3E Audio PFFB or the AP300-S250NC Power Amplifier Ncore NC252MP, which would you choose to power two Beyma TPL-150H (102db)?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I don't have the skills for DIY, so i have to get a RTR amplifier.
Given the two options i've mentioned, the AP300-S2503E Power Amplifier 3E Audio PFFB or the AP300-S250NC Power Amplifier Ncore NC252MP, which would you choose to power two Beyma TPL-150H (102db)?
3E audio for me....best Sinad/price ratio )

I wouldn't know about the quality difference between Ncore and 3E Audio besides what I read here (which is : a lot of good about Ncore, not much about 3E), but it seems to me that there's a potential determining differences between the two : the Ncore AP-300 have both XLR and RCA in, which is an evolution compared to the previous MPA series, and a feature that the 3E Audio does not have.
It might not matter to some of you who already made their choice between balanced or unbalanced, but to smaller upgrade-prone setups, it seems like a very welcome flexibility to me. Besides, the AP300-S125NC is atm 50€ cheaper than the AP300-S2503E. Less powerful yes, but if its use case is something like bookshelves speakers in a small to medium room, is there any reason to go for the upper spend ? Gap as big between the S250 3E and Ncore though...

aku

I am planning on getting this Audiophonics amp and would like to use it with a MiniDSP Flex (Balanced) serving as a preamp. I would like to be able to turn the entire setup on and off using MiniDSP remote but, unfortunately, MiniDSP does not have a trigger output.

I'm thinking about using a master-slave power strip like this one https://www.brennenstuhl.com/en-DE/...3m-h05vv-f-3g1-5-1xmaster-5xslave-2xpermanent MiniDSP would be connected to the master socket which would allow the power strip to detect whether MiniDSP is on or off. The amplifier would be connected to a slave socket which means that power will be be connected to the amplifier in sync with MiniDSP turning on and off. This will be the same as flipping the switch on the back of the unit, but automatically.

I am concerned whether turning the amplifier in this way will cause any problems with reliability or loud pops from the loudspeakers? Looking at product photos on Audiophonics page it seems that nothing is connected to the J5 connector of the amplifier board, which according to 3E datasheet is where amp muting for soft-start feature would need to be connected. It seems to me that no dedicated soft-start functionality appears to be implemented in this configuration...

Is this a good idea to power the amp in this way? Could any of the current owners of this Audiophonics amp share their experience with this? Perhaps @daniboun would have something to add here, given his extensive experience on the subject? Perhaps I should DIY and build an amp using a different power supply board?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I am planning on getting this Audiophonics amp and would like to use it with a MiniDSP Flex (Balanced) serving as a preamp. I would like to be able to turn the entire setup on and off using MiniDSP remote but, unfortunately, MiniDSP does not have a trigger output.

I'm thinking about using a master-slave power strip like this one https://www.brennenstuhl.com/en-DE/...3m-h05vv-f-3g1-5-1xmaster-5xslave-2xpermanent MiniDSP would be connected to the master socket which would allow the power strip to detect whether MiniDSP is on or off. The amplifier would be connected to a slave socket which means that power will be be connected to the amplifier in sync with MiniDSP turning on and off. This will be the same as flipping the switch on the back of the unit, but automatically.

I am concerned whether turning the amplifier in this way will cause any problems with reliability or loud pops from the loudspeakers? Looking at product photos on Audiophonics page it seems that nothing is connected to the J5 connector of the amplifier board, which according to 3E datasheet is where amp muting for soft-start feature would need to be connected. It seems to me that no dedicated soft-start functionality appears to be implemented in this configuration...

Is this a good idea to power the amp in this way? Could any of the current owners of this Audiophonics amp share their experience with this? Perhaps @daniboun would have something to add here, given his extensive experience on the subject? Perhaps I should DIY and build an amp using a different power supply board?

Take a look here

BTW > I made some APX555 measurements of the 3E Audio Rev B (Opa1656) here

aku

I eventually got the AP300-S2503E amplifier along with MiniDSP Flex Balanced from Audiophonics. Delivery (to EU) was quite fast and I'm really pleased with my setup now.

For those interested: the 3E Audio board installed inside was Rev B from January 2024 with Rubycon caps.

I am switching power to the amplifier using the Main/Follow power strip as I described in my previous post. I can hear no difference in terms switch on/off pop noise between using the switch at the front of the amp and disconnecting power using the automatic switch. As measured by Amir in his review of the 3E Audio module the power off produces an audible pop, but not too concerning. I might try to DIY a muting circuit if I have time in the future.

Attachments

• PXL_20240515_070635229.jpg
    PXL_20240515_070635229.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240515_070654394.jpg
    PXL_20240515_070654394.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240515_070622212.jpg
    PXL_20240515_070622212.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom