• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Micro Bamboo Project" : 3E Audio 260-2-29A Stereo amplifier + Micro-Audio PSU

amix

Sorry for being so euphoric
No need to be sorry. That's the way it is meant to be played! :D

The problem I have with most stuff is the lack of musicality. They often sound very good, but they "sound" good. They don't "play" good, or better, "sing, groove".

It seems to me, all your speakers are relatively easy to drive? (I got 6 ohm/85db).

Though I understand these amp modules have lots of power, I still don't understand how to find out, how to calculate the amount of current provided.

Meanpeak

At least for me it sounds (driving my Wilson Audios, Tannoys, Yamaha NS1000) engaging, rhythmic, airy, dynamic, vibrant, lively in one word exiting. That's the reason why my expensive gear (Dartzeel, Goldmund, Krell) is retired in the moment. Comparing to Class-D amps I prefer it to mine Nilai500. Sorry for being so euphoric...simply try it and I'll bet you will be amazed.

Can you give me more details about your setup?

Witch amplifier and Witch SMPS.

It's long thread to read, I appreciate it

cfwotzka

No need to be sorry. That's the way it is meant to be played! :D

The problem I have with most stuff is the lack of musicality. They often sound very good, but they "sound" good. They don't "play" good, or better, "sing, groove".

It seems to me, all your speakers are relatively easy to drive? (I got 6 ohm/85db).

Though I understand these amp modules have lots of power, I still don't understand how to find out, how to calculate the amount of current provided.
Yes musicality also for me is key. I listen to all kind of music and all I can say this amps does not sound dry if you know what I mean. Indeed my speakers are relatively easy to drive. As far as I understood the 3E Audio modules remain stabile down to 2 Ohms. I guess the experts will be kind enough to comment on the current the modules can provide.

cfwotzka

Can you give me more details about your setup?

Witch amplifier and Witch SMPS.

It's long thread to read, I appreciate it
I'm using the 3E Audio 260-2-29A modules.
One amp is equipped with Morsun SMPS LOF550-20B48 (48V)
the other with Micro Audio SMPS 630-SO (46V) PSU.
Hope this helps you further without working through all the posts here but if you find the time read them all it's very informative.

SMen

I'm using the 3E Audio 260-2-29A modules.
One amp is equipped with Morsun SMPS LOF550-20B48 (48V)
the other with Micro Audio SMPS 630-SO (46V) PSU.
Hope this helps you further without working through all the posts here but if you find the time read them all it's very informative.
An obvious question, but do the two different SMPS: Morsun SMPS LOF550-20B48 (48V) and Micro Audio SMPS 630-SO (46V) impact the sound in a way you judge meaningful?
Judging between the two.

I am looking at these you see, and another that @daniboun recommends.

This one: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...144268733763e25ee!12000034664314465!sea!FR!0!

The Morsun is easier for me to acquire in France, but the aliexpress one also as it handles the sales tax.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
An obvious question, but do the two different SMPS: Morsun SMPS LOF550-20B48 (48V) and Micro Audio SMPS 630-SO (46V) impact the sound in a way you judge meaningful?
Judging between the two.

I am looking at these you see, and another that @daniboun recommends.

This one: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005875722287.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.similar_items.1.1d4dbC28bC28bF&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:&pdp_npi=4@dis!EUR!60.08!60.08!!!63.24!63.24!@211b81a317118144268733763e25ee!12000034664314465!sea!FR!0!

The Morsun is easier for me to acquire in France, but the aliexpress one also as it handles the sales tax.

I am in France as well and got that PSU from Ali in about 12 days ) Vat included

SMen

I am in France as well and got that PSU from Ali in about 12 days ) Vat included
Aha!! But which one should I get?!!

I know you are getting measurements done, but I do wonder about the impact of the power supplies.

I hope your guys doing the measurements in Germany might compare results with different power supplies. ;)

Not that I want much! :)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Aha!! But which one should I get?!!

I know you are getting measurements done, but I do wonder about the impact of the power supplies.

I hope your guys doing the measurements in Germany might compare results with different power supplies. ;)

Not that I want much! :)

If I were you I would wait for my measurements )
Be patient even if it s easy to say lol

cfwotzka

If I were you I would wait for my measurements )
Be patient even if it s easy to say lol
Yes, the measurements will be interesting and many thanks for your effort!
if you allow me a general remark on Class-D amps:
Over the years I had, and still own many different Class-D amps that were at the time of their release considered to be state-of-the-art. In recent years Class-D technology, measurements and sound developed in the speed of light and I guess we can still expect improvements. Regarding 3E Audio modules at least to me they are current state-of-the-art (independent of price) and offer a wide range of opportunities for the DIY family. In my case Mornsun and Micro-Audio PSU's both perform extremely well to my ears and the differences might be individual perception.
Fortunately prices for amps and PSU are relatively moderate and to me that means, if measurement results are good I'm testing how it sounds. In my personal opinion the Class-D development has picked-up speed and we will see many interesting results in coming years.
already today the sound level achieved is extraordinary and satisfies even spoiled ears. we all know part of our obsession is to always look for the better that beats the good unfortunately (or luckily) a never ending story.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes, the measurements will be interesting and many thanks for your effort!
if you allow me a general remark on Class-D amps:
Over the years I had, and still own many different Class-D amps that were at the time of their release considered to be state-of-the-art. In recent years Class-D technology, measurements and sound developed in the speed of light and I guess we can still expect improvements. Regarding 3E Audio modules at least to me they are current state-of-the-art (independent of price) and offer a wide range of opportunities for the DIY family. In my case Mornsun and Micro-Audio PSU's both perform extremely well to my ears and the differences might be individual perception.
Fortunately prices for amps and PSU are relatively moderate and to me that means, if measurement results are good I'm testing how it sounds. In my personal opinion the Class-D development has picked-up speed and we will see many interesting results in coming years.
already today the sound level achieved is extraordinary and satisfies even spoiled ears. we all know part of our obsession is to always look for the better that beats the good unfortunately (or luckily) a never ending story.

I agree) The race for Sinad doesn't interest me any more than that. The average person is unable to tell the difference between an amp with a Sinad 95 or Sinad 105.

What interests me, however, is to understand via measurements (I specify with equal configuration, similar test protocol, identical module, identical wiring etc...) what could, for example, explain a difference in performance between a 3E Audio RevA + PSU Lamba VS 3E Audio RevA vs PSU Beta.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I agree) The race for Sinad doesn't interest me any more than that. The average person is unable to tell the difference between an amp with a Sinad 95 or Sinad 105.

What interests me, however, is to understand via measurements (I specify with equal configuration, similar test protocol, identical module, identical wiring etc...) what could, for example, explain a difference in performance between a 3E Audio RevA + PSU Lamba VS 3E Audio RevA vs PSU Beta.
Do you mean a difference in performance (volume/watt) or in sound?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Do you mean a difference in performance (volume/watt) or in sound?
In global performance (Sinad, Noise, Power etc) if we consider the same test protcol (EX. PSU 48V/550W Lambda VS PSU 48/550W Beta)

Roland68

Major Contributor
In global performance (Sinad, Noise, Power etc) if we consider the same test protcol (EX. PSU 48V/550W Lambda VS PSU 48/550W Beta)
I think I've lost track...:facepalm:
Are there any measurements for this yet?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I think I've lost track...:facepalm:
Are there any measurements for this yet?

Not Yet )
I mentioned in my previous thread that I am finishing my "Bamboo V2" project and that I also have to ship it to the German lab next week for APx555 testing)
The "Micro Bamboo V1" is already in Germany )

Yoku-San

Received revised stereo board beginning of this week. powered with Mornsun PSU in my case. I wonder what others will say but for me the revised board are an upgrade sound wise as well. I don't want to comment right now on my individual impressions. let's wait and see until we have measurement results.
I also received the REV2 version of the 3e Stereo Module and will pair it with the Micro Audio SMPS which arrived two months ago. However, I will postpone the build for a few months until the new WiiM (Ultra) device is hopefully available.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I also received the REV2 version of the 3e Stereo Module and will pair it with the Micro Audio SMPS which arrived two months ago. However, I will postpone the build for a few months until the new WiiM (Ultra) device is hopefully available.

Out of curiousity Power caps 1500uf or 1800uf on yours ?

Out of curiousity Power caps 1500uf or 1800uf on yours ?
Hello there,

I just received mine yesterday (480-1-29A - REV B) and they have 1800uF 63V Rubycon.

Attachments

• 20240412_174229.JPG
    20240412_174229.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 76

Yoku-San

One question: using a RCA to XLR cable to connect unbalanced output to the Micro Bamboo should not lead to problems, or does it?

I will be getting the WiiM Ultra as my preamp and it unfortunately will not have Balanced XLR output.

Top Bottom