• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 57 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 383 83.8%

• Total voters

Mantra

No.

depends on the audio card.
hi
there are all realtek audio cards ,and they have not updated by seral years

do you use asio or wasapi exclusive with this device?
and do you play with foobar ?
just because i have tried once jriver media player and hdplayer desktop and they are slightly play better for my ears , maybe they add some eq
thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
do you use asio or wasapi exclusive with this device?
and do you play with foobar ?
I use Wasapi Exclusive in Foobar.
It has the same sound quality as ASIO, but is more stable in my experience.
Plus, you don't need to install drivers to use it.

Btw, I don't own the SU-1.

PlasticDoc

In the BeeGees' "Jive Talkin' (...) During that chorus, I can hear one of the Gibb brothers leaning in to the microphone to help with the chorus - and he has a terrible, froggy voice.
Yes, clearly audible from about 1:55 ~ 2:08

Last edited:

Jazz

Confirming iOS device powered by Apple Lightning to USB 3 camera adaptor to SU-1 via USB works great using cable that came with SU-1. Used an Apple 12W USB power adaptor.
24/192 et al on Apple Music but, other apps and current powered USB camera adaptor from Apple should work great via wire too, as long as the power is going in.
IMG_3756.jpeg

Tonton marc

This is a completely disappointing answer. SMSL does not understand the merits of AK4493S at all.
This is my first usb dac. If direct dsd mode is not possible with the dac, does this mean that I can only play the dsd in dop mode? So dsd 512 is not possible? If I try the dsd raw mode in the musicbee player, it doesn't work, if I understand correctly I wasted my time trying. I use the usb dac with an HP Envy Windows 11 PC

Tonton marc

Report of problems with SU-1.
If you are repeatedly playing a DSD album as background music for hours using a USB connection, the USB connection may be cut off and playback may stop without you realizing it. I purchased two SU-1s, and both have the same symptoms. The same problem occurs even if you change your PC to another model. But it does not occur at all with PCM albums. Also, the symptoms do not change for any file from DSD64 to DSD512. I have several other DACs, but this does not occur at all with them, so I think it is a problem specific to the SU-1. The USB driver is the latest V5.58. Well, it's a rare phenomenon, so I won't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with OPT/COAX.
Hello, how do you read dsd 512 files? Sorry I have a lot of questions.

Toku

Major Contributor
It is unclear whether the SU-1 uses DSD Direct as there is no mention in the product description and we have not received a response from SMSL.

DSD512 is the same as DSD22.5MHz.
There are two types of names for DSD: one that expresses the sampling frequency directly, and one that expresses it as a multiplication factor relative to CD's 44.1kHz. DSD512 files are not sold as general music files, but you can find sample sound sources for testing on the internet. I use a file conversion tool to create and use a test sound source myself.

ttt

Fake LME49720?
I took a picture the DAC inside. Everything is similar to other one's except the LME49720 output opa. The strange here, that there is no "pin 1 mark". It' missing there, as you can see on the photo. The TI's documentation says there should be there. I can see many types (small dot, a reverse bump, a small nook, etc...) on other one's ebay, ali, sites photos and the sites selling this IC also there.
What do you think? Is that a fake one or just a new series, where TI does not put it there.
1000004856.jpg

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Number 1 is on the left of the four pins at the bottom of the photo.
The corner of the case with the lower pin arrangement is cut diagonally from the upper line to distinguish them. In the photo, it is black and hard to tell.

Reactions: ttt

Tonton marc

To summarize my tests, I only have a loud noise in asio mode when I switch to the next track and an even louder noise when I go back to the previous track. Each time the DAC changes from asio active to asio not active for a short time. The always-on option of the DAC doesn't change that. Player is musicbee, format is dsd in dop mode.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Fake LME49720?
I took a picture the DAC inside. Everything is similar to other one's except the LME49720 output opa. The strange here, that there is no "pin 1 mark". It' missing there, as you can see on the photo. The TI's documentation says there should be there. I can see many types (small dot, a reverse bump, a small nook, etc...) on other one's ebay, ali, sites photos and the sites selling this IC also there.
What do you think? Is that a fake one or just a new series, where TI does not put it there.
View attachment 348993

Reactions: ttt

Toku

Major Contributor
To summarize my tests, I only have a loud noise in asio mode when I switch to the next track and an even louder noise when I go back to the previous track. Each time the DAC changes from asio active to asio not active for a short time. The always-on option of the DAC doesn't change that. Player is musicbee, format is dsd in dop mode.
I have installed SMSL's ASIO driver on my Windows 11 Pro PC, but I have not experienced any such symptoms with players such as Foober2000.
After reading everyone's reports, it seems like pop noise occurs with some specific combinations.

Tonton marc

Hello, I used asio4all. Is there an asio driver from smsl ? My problems may be caused by the musicbee player but that would be annoying as it is simple and enjoyable to use. As said befor, the pop noise occurs only with DSD files.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I installed asio4all and the smsl usb driver. Did I make a mistake installing both ?
Installing asio4all can in some cases remove UAC2 hardware volume control from DACs that originally have it.

In case your DAC has a native ASIO interface, there's not really a reason to keep it on your PC.

In case your DAC doesn't have a native ASIO interface, FlexASIO is usually a better choice than asio4all.

Last edited:

Tonton marc

Installing asio4all can in some cases remove UAC2 hardware volume control from DACs that originally have it.

In case your DAC has a native ASIO interface, there's not really a respon to keep it on your PC.

In case your DAC doesn't have a native ASIO interface, FlexASIO is usually a better choice than asio4all.
DAC is SMSL SU-1. So should I uninstall asio4ll ?

Top Bottom