• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrity RIP Thread

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Los Angeles radio history lost another great recently (see the post re DJ Jim Ladd above). FYI, KCRW radio is one of National Public Radio’s (USA) powerhouse stations.

Wikipedia: “Ruth Seymour (February 17, 1935 – December 22, 2023) was an American broadcasting executive known… as a pioneer in public radio and ‘a commanding presence in the public radio arena.’

Seymour's first venture into radio came at KPFK in Los Angeles from 1961 to 1964… As that station's drama and literary critic, she produced award-winning series. From 1971 to 1976, she worked as program director there, and she did freelance work for the Pacifica Foundation while traveling in Europe. She was fired in 1976, after the FBI raided the station in search of a tape KPFK had aired from Patty Hearst and the Symbionese Liberation Army, which the station manager refused to turn over. Seymour broadcast the raid live, as it occurred.

Seymour joined the staff of KCRW at Santa Monica College in 1977 as a consultant and was named manager a few months later… Seymour brought NPR’s Morning Edition to KCRW, and produced others such as Le Show (hosted by Harry Shearer), Left, Right & Center, Morning Becomes Eclectic, The Politics of Culture, To the Point, and Which Way L.A.? (hosted by Warren Olney). In 1996, KCRW became the 2nd station to air This American Life.

She retired from there in February 2010... During her tenure, the station grew from being based in a playground at a middle school and having an old transmitter to covering much of southern California with its broadcasts. It also developed streaming services and podcasts.”

RIP to two giants in the history of Los Angeles radio, Ruth Seymour and Jim Ladd.

View attachment 337146
Thanks, these posts have real meaning to me and bring back many memories - I moved to LA in 1974 and KMET and KLOS were the two rock stations I listed to throughout that time. I remember Jim Ladd well. Coming from the UK where radio was still dominated by the BBC which still operated on an "Aunty knows best" model (ie none of this low brow rock music stuff), commercial radio was a breath of fresh air for me.

Later I gravitated to KCRW where Roger Steffens and Hank Holmes' Reggae Beat International was my favourite programme. Roger got the best interviews (not to mention his vast Bob Marley archive) and Hank had the best collection of reggae singles and dub plates. Morning Becomes Eclectic was just a class act.

Inspired by Roger and Hank I went on to host my own reggae programme on KUOR in Redlands. Ironically, KUOR no longer exists as a station in its own right but is now an NPR feeder station.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
You're welcome @Burning Sounds. My life in Southern California accumulated countless radio hours of these two. Their passing deserved a mention. :cool:

DanielT

Major Contributor

Now I'm going to go grocery shopping and what I'm going to eat today is pretty obvious:

danadam

Major Contributor
Niklaus Wirth (creator of Pascal programming language)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Jim Winey, of Magnepan fame, passed away yesterday. :(

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
After a World Cup sometime in the late 70s/ early 80s my grandfather took me to a Europe all-stars vs World all-stars game at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. The Kaiser fanned directly in front of a wide open goal (only a yard or so out from the goal line; the pass came from the right side, went though his legs and continued towards the left sideline). If was a very lighthearted moment. I guess he did not know what to do when so far up field. :D

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
RIP Joyce Randolph;

1705284366818.png

JSmith

CapMan

Major Contributor
Last surviving member of the original SAS regiment - does that count as celebrity - not sure! Hell of a story if you read the obituary!

gene_stl

Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom