• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not beleive. It sounds scrap :(
Arrived today my long waited E30. Read a lot of good thing about it before decided to buy. Then after plugged in turned to be so disappointed very :(
Dull, shallow deeps, metally sounding highs.
I'm comparing it to to my old FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 modified one (replaced every opamp to AD8620 + big analog PSU) - which sounds lively, deep, air, 3D. Very good compared to E30. But it's old, used and mainly for my Sennheisers next to my PC ... so bought the E30 for Volumio to the room.
Testing witgh NAD316 + Wharefedales...
The E30 is way below the DAC-X6 :( I'm shocked :(
I remember the FX had similar sounds before the opamp update, so decided to replace the OPA1612 to AD8620 (I have many from decades ago when it appeared and ordered original samples), but I'm in trouble.
It needs some special long screwdrivers to dismount the front panel internally to be able to disconnet the cord which connects the main board to the front display.
Could someone please help me how to disassemble the E30?

Thanks!
I have them both the E30 mk2 and the FX audio X6 mk2 and I understand what you are saying here. I prefer the low end punch and clear highs of the FX Audio for certain types of music and in all honesty i think the E30 can sound a little congested by comparison at times.

Schlippwhip68

I do not beleive. It sounds scrap :(
Arrived today my long waited E30. Read a lot of good thing about it before decided to buy. Then after plugged in turned to be so disappointed very :(
Dull, shallow deeps, metally sounding highs.
I'm comparing it to to my old FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 modified one (replaced every opamp to AD8620 + big analog PSU) - which sounds lively, deep, air, 3D. Very good compared to E30. But it's old, used and mainly for my Sennheisers next to my PC ... so bought the E30 for Volumio to the room.
Testing witgh NAD316 + Wharefedales...
The E30 is way below the DAC-X6 :( I'm shocked :(
I remember the FX had similar sounds before the opamp update, so decided to replace the OPA1612 to AD8620 (I have many from decades ago when it appeared and ordered original samples), but I'm in trouble.
It needs some special long screwdrivers to dismount the front panel internally to be able to disconnet the cord which connects the main board to the front display.
Could someone please help me how to disassemble the E30?

Thanks!
Hi
I changed the op amp from the
is it possible to change the LED brightness/filter mode without the remote?
Not sure if I am honest...I have never needed to do it.

Schlippwhip68

Sounds like nonsense to be honest, classic audiophile self delusion. That's the point of this site, to stop people like you wasting your time & money.
I have this dac for a spare/back up. I would say that the sound is pretty good. Some say the Topping E30 has a slightly more rounded overall sound which to some degree is true. I find the E30 offers a little more detail overall around the mids but does it offer much over the X6 MK2 considering it is twice the price of the X6...mmm...I would say no. The X6 MK2 is more cheaply built but the actual sound is not much different to the E30 mk2. I have both. In fact with an op amp upgrade to the X6 mk2 using the Oracle 02 the vocals surpassed the E30 mk2 and more clarity achieved via the new op amp. I ran my Denon DNP 730 AE through both dacs using a QED Optical cable. The X6 MK2 proved the superior sound making the E30 sound tinny in the vocals, much thinner. The Oracle 02 with the X6 MK2 is a good combination and a cheap upgrade. The Denon dnp 730 does not need an external dac as it has excellent sound quality especially through the analogue connections (rca) and using the E30 via the optical connection proved it easy to hear the inferior connection but swapping the dac for the X6 MK2 with the Oracle 02 op amp and the sound was alot closer to the analogue sound, fuller in general and good instrument separation, more robust vocals. So no, the X6 MK2 imo is very good value for money and with a small upgrade to the op amp, a bargain.

Palladium

It's a depressingly common scenario with IT hardware too. Thin clients some of which need 12V and others 19V but all using 2.5mm pin barrel jacks. Small network switches in near identical enclosures with identical barrel jacks, but taking 5V, 12V or 48V depending on model. Still at least it's easy to get replacement connectors, unlike when they go with something proprietary.

Barrel connectors suck ass. No standardization beyond the size format, their sizing on end equipment is all over the place, and the cheap connectors also have bad ring insulation that causes shorting between the live and ground when them plugging in.

We should be using USB-C + PD for every equipment using DC, especially now the standard supports 48V.

threni

Major Contributor

dandreye

Hi All,

Sorry if it was already asked before. Just noticed a newer driver was released (back in late Sept) since I last checked the maker's website:

Wondering if there are any significant fixes or improvements that'd make it worth upgrading an E30 to? There's no release note with those details.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

nsfgp

Hi All,

Sorry if it was already asked before. Just noticed a newer driver was released (back in late Sept) since I last checked the maker's website:

Wondering if there are any significant fixes or improvements that'd make it worth upgrading an E30 to? There's no release note with those details.

Thanks in advance!
Release Notes from the Driver Developer/Source (Thesycon)

Lionglzer

I’m not angry with you at all, and I’m sorry if I gave you that impression.

What I find very unfortunate it’s that Topping sells a combo where the two devices have very different input power, and a simple mistake will destroy one of them.
This was literally my first thought as I opened it.

jaco61

I have this dac for a spare/back up. I would say that the sound is pretty good. Some say the Topping E30 has a slightly more rounded overall sound which to some degree is true. I find the E30 offers a little more detail overall around the mids but does it offer much over the X6 MK2 considering it is twice the price of the X6...mmm...I would say no. The X6 MK2 is more cheaply built but the actual sound is not much different to the E30 mk2. I have both. In fact with an op amp upgrade to the X6 mk2 using the Oracle 02 the vocals surpassed the E30 mk2 and more clarity achieved via the new op amp. I ran my Denon DNP 730 AE through both dacs using a QED Optical cable. The X6 MK2 proved the superior sound making the E30 sound tinny in the vocals, much thinner. The Oracle 02 with the X6 MK2 is a good combination and a cheap upgrade. The Denon dnp 730 does not need an external dac as it has excellent sound quality especially through the analogue connections (rca) and using the E30 via the optical connection proved it easy to hear the inferior connection but swapping the dac for the X6 MK2 with the Oracle 02 op amp and the sound was alot closer to the analogue sound, fuller in general and good instrument separation, more robust vocals. So no, the X6 MK2 imo is very good value for money and with a small upgrade to the op amp, a bargain.
Changing op amps .. and you hear that change? Bit of Voodoo seems.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
It is worth investing in a label-making machine and labeling the cables just behind the barrel connectors.

I have labeled all the bricks in my set of audio and IT devices, but it's easy to see how such an error could occur with the two Topping units.

I would call it both user error and bad design. It's not good engineering to make an error so easy to commit and its consequences so severe. Because of user errors in automobiles, controls are (somewhat) standardizef, and we have seat belts and airbags to protect the errant driver.
Nothing a few pieces of masking tape and a sharpie pen can't do, save your money for more fun stuff than a label maker.

An exciting update from a discussion early in this thread about IR remote codes (assuming this hasn’t already been pointed out):

My Google TV (OS ver 12) now has Topping as a “soundbar” option for IR control! I can adjust the volume easily and power on/off. There’s also an option to program the input button but I don’t have a need for that right now. Worth checking out for those of you with similar setups!

Kane1972

Amir tested the E30 using his USB hub built into his monitor but for the MK2 version he says he tested with both the hub and a Samsung phone charger which gave better results that the hub and was what he used for all measurements. Dows anyone know if he ever tested the E30 MK1 with the charger and if this gave improved measurements? Thanks

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir tested the E30 using his USB hub built into his monitor but for the MK2 version he says he tested with both the hub and a Samsung phone charger which gave better results that the hub and was what he used for all measurements. Dows anyone know if he ever tested the E30 MK1 with the charger and if this gave improved measurements? Thanks
Citation needed.

Kane1972

Citation needed.
Amir on page one of E30 Mk2 review said “There is no power supply included. There is a USB to 5 volt barrel connector giving you the choice of how you feed it. I started with my USB hub built into the monitor but got the best results with a Samsung USB charger.”

Anderlfs

Unlike voltage, the device will only draw the amount of current (amps) it needs.
Is this the same with linear PSU? The current/amperage doesn’t matter or due to the different design, Is It different to switched ones, like the chargers? I mean, may I use a 5V/2.5A Linear Power Supply with a DAC designed to 5V/1A? Thanks.

ehabheikal

What is the good thing about using minidsp or anything similar to do the crossover of a subwoofer?
Given that i have a studio subwoofer crossing over at dac level not at speaker level. my setum is
Soncoz SGD1 > Yamaha HS8S subwoofer crossed at 120hz > purifi amp to ls50 meta

Top Bottom