• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on tubed preamps?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's the nice thing about hobbies; they are nonprofit by nature. If money getting becomes the object of the hobby, then it's not a hobby anymore. It's a PITA.
Which is why I could never get my father too interested in hifi, which was kind of too bad, because he loved music and he knew a lot about the technology of sound reproduction (not to mention the fine details of radio & TV transmission).

jtgofish

If there is anything I have learnt from this hobby it is that you can never be sure which preamp will combine well with which power amp.Quite often the matching model from the same manufacturer will not be the best choice.Mixing and matching different brands and toplogies will often produce the best sound.If you are considering a new or different preamp the best thing to do is borrow as many as you can from other people and try them with your power amp.Most will sound OK,quite a few will sound bad but that does not mean they might not sound good with something else,and if you are lucky you will find something that sounds really good and just gels with your power amp and system.It is electrical compatibility/synergy that seems to be the most important thing.That might even involve a valve preamp.

Top Bottom