• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SpaceX launch their biggest rocket yet- fireworks guaranteed

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Fortunately, methane's not much of a greenhouse gas. ;)
Plus, it all got converted, rather suddenly, to CO2 (EDIT: plus H2O, of course).
I hear you. In fact I mostly agree.
That's why I said: "For future launches spaceX plans to generate the methane themselves from green energy."

In fact it is an important part in the design of the rocket. To drive cost down, it needs to be fully reuseable. For fuel it means that SpaceX plans to generate Methane om Mars using solar panels, water (ice) and CO2. That's one of the 2 reasons Methane was chosen iirrc. The other is that it is relatively compact and has a good thrust to weight ratio. Generating it will be tested and implemented at the launch site here on earth.

If I had to make an educated guess when, I would say after the completion of the rocket design and testing, and before humans are going to go to Mars.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you. In fact I mostly agree.
That's why I said: "For future launches spaceX plans to generate the methane themselves from green energy."

In fact it is an important part in the design of the rocket. To drive cost down, it needs to be fully reuseable. For fuel it means that SpaceX plans to generate Methane om Mars using solar panels, water (ice) and CO2. That's one of the 2 reasons Methane was chosen iirrc. The other is that it is relatively compact and has a good thrust to weight ratio. Generating it will be tested and implemented at the launch site here on earth.

If I had to make an educated guess when, I would say after the completion of the rocket design an testing, and before humans are going to go to Mars.
I think the other big, big factor in using methane is it isn't near impossible to have reliable seals like with liquid hydrogen. This was much of the reason behind issues with the NASA SLS. NASA isn't stupid, they wanted to use methane, but the bill funding the SLS specified hydrogen for some reason. Their hands were tied.

OP
Marc v E

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I think the other big, big factor in using methane is it isn't near impossible to have reliable seals like with liquid hydrogen. This was much of the reason behind issues with the NASA SLS. NASA isn't stupid, they wanted to use methane, but the bill funding the SLS specified hydrogen for some reason. Their hands were tied.
Yes, and what I understood from a Cambridge professor is that Hydrogen in metal makes metal brittle too. (From the Fully Charged podcast on youtube.) That's not good for long term reusability.

I would not be surprised if the thought behind the requirement of Hydrogen was a well meaning one, that turned out bad. This used to happen all the time in IT development with business requirements. That's why it's common practice now that the business can state the business goal, but not how that goal should be reached. As in technical solutions are the domain of the engineers.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and what I understood from a Cambridge professor is that Hydrogen in metal makes metal brittle too. That's not good for long term reusability.

I would not be surprised if the thought behind the requirement of Hydrogen was a well meaning one, that turned out bad. This used to happen all the time in IT development with business requirements. That's why it's common practice now that the business can state the business goal, but now how that goal should be reached. As in technical solutions are the domain of the engineers.
Yes, hydrogen makes many metals brittle over time.

The decision was political disguised as cost saving. The legislation based upon recommendations of "experts" was to use existing procedures, companies, material etc which was already in use previously by NASA. The idea existing contractors and prior experience would make it cheaper. Of course in reality "experts" were shills for existing contractors. Protecting turf and income.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
failure vs huge success
clicks vs marketing

Like always the truth is somewhere between. The rocket had endet in the ocean this or that way. I would say it did 30% of the test. Thats not that bad. I mean thats Musks way of doing things. Next time 60% and all is good. The next models are allready in the line. Keep going before tje stainless steel gets rusty. ;)

D

Deleted member 48726

The sensationalism of media is terrible.

SpaceX said this will be a launch test. Their goal is for the rocket to lift from the pad. They wanted to test the engines on load and rocket’s lift from the pad. Any success after that was “icing on the cake.” How was it reported?

“Rocket exploded before reaching the orbit!”

Even reputable sources like FT, NY Times, Guardian including the BBC reported along the same lines, as if it was a failure. It was a bloody success!

This is why we cannot, and should not, trust the media.
It's utterly disgusting reading the tabloid media on most subjects. I can actually get all wired up when listening to mainstream media on radio (I must be forced to it, I don't seek it out voluntarily). And I think that's where most people must get their information, by mainstream radio and tabloid news sites on the web. And then I understand why we have the kind of political chaos we got everywhere. :)

D

Deleted member 48726

Like always the truth is somewhere between. The rocket had endet in the ocean this or that way. I would say it did 30% of the test. Thats not that bad. I mean thats Musks way of doing things. Next time 60% and all is good. The next models are allready in the line. Keep going before tje stainless steel gets rusty. ;)
Yeah, that's how it works. I remember when they started out with the smaller ones (I don't remember the names) and I read the biography on Elon where it's well described. They crashed a lot but learnt a lot. That's the process of pioneering. I like the way he handles the media and stays true to himself and his vision(s).

dasdoing

Major Contributor

and none of the sides are actually wrong either,
it was succesfully tested,
and the ship (was) exploded after a failure

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"imagines the Boring Company thinking about how much quicker things would go with a few Raptors on the drill bit.

Blog_Rondout_factory_1.jpg

super-heavy-raptor-engines.jpeg

Looks like an easy retrofit to me.

Top Bottom