• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So you pay thousand bucks for a Sony soundbar just to get.. side firing tweeters?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Looks like a good design actually.

HF forms directional beams and bounce off stuff this is what we already know (or you can know it after seeing speaker measurements on this site). The graduated holes help to form a narrower beam while also steering the beam direction. Side-bouncing / ceiling-bouncing tweeters are not new but this implementation is unique.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By the way I read today a promotional price of $99 for a Vizio Atmos sound bar.
I do not know the product but it seems a fair price.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some soundbars are not really sound bars any more ? There is a separate sub and even small rear channel speakers to some of them . More a HTIB in modern clothes and no setup hustle.

I have a canton cinema system in our HT room it’s a good performing alternative to soundbars in a small room all the speakers are wall mounted .

Edit and a Denon receiver .

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Some soundbars are not really sound bars any more ? There is a separate sub and even small rear channel speakers to some of them . More a HTIB in modern clothes and no setup hustle.

I have a canton cinema system in our HT room it’s a good performing alternative to soundbars in a small room all the speakers are wall mounted .

Edit and a Denon receiver .
I have the soundbar with the sub and surround speakers. Must be why it sounds do good! But, it was not cheap. I believe it was on a super sale at $1000.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It really depends on what you are looking for. Recently, I set up 2 TVs with soundbars because I we did not want the bulk of a discrete system in each case. The first was a highly-rated Samsung with sub that replaced a 3.1 KEF on-wall system and was fully competitive with it. The major advantage is that for TV viewing (not music), the source was not detectable and made for more relaxed enjoyment. The second was a controversial Sennheiser used with the 3 subs that were already in that room for other purposes. This system was even better and usable for casual musical enjoyment. Again, the major advantage is that it provides a satisfying and relaxed experience with decent imaging and depth and, on ocassion, can impress with some spatial effects. Neither is superior to a real home theater setup but is surprisingly enjoyable for what we use them.

ta240

Major Contributor
Looks like it could be pretty decent. The way the subject of the post was written it was as if the soundbar had nothing else going for it and/or a thousand dollars for a soundbar is unheard of. Neither of those seem true.

The tweeter setup is unique so it remains to be seen how it performs but it would be odd for them to spend the time and money on something that most customers would never see is there.

It also has optional rear speakers. With them you get their 360 spatial sound mapping and even room correction. And there is the option to add an external wireless subwoofer.

Given how poorly most center channel speakers measure, a good soundbar could actually be an upgrade for many with multichannel systems.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've wanted to hear the Nakamichi Dragon since I first read about it:

Andysu

Major Contributor
snakebar , no thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've wanted to hear the Nakamichi Dragon since I first read about it:
I was curious, too, but briefly. It is so massive that, imho, it defeats the space efficiency of other soundbars.

Top Bottom