• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO200 MKII vs DO300?

DACslut

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on one of them very soon. The glut of DAC offerings in this price ($400-$500) range seem to have become bewilderingly homogeneous in features and specs. I'm leaning toward the well reviewed DO200 MKII because it's roughly a $100 cheaper and while it lacks the flagship ES9039MSPRO, at least it has dual ES9068AS chips and probably sounds essentially the same? I've also been looking at the comparable Topping E70 & E70 Velvet. I'm currently using the bluetooth lacking Sabaj D5 outputting to dual (1st version) Sabaj A20a amps. Thanks for any input and possible alternative suggestions.

After further research I decided on the Topping E70 Velvet. Hope I made the right decision. Also missed out on that sale Apos Audio had last month, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Burns

The standard e70 is cool enough and maybe cooler than the velvet, DO200mk2 and DO300. After reworking all four, I finally left the standard e70 in silver. (SMSL forgot about the most important function which is energy management. It can only pretend to be dead).

Post in thread 'Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ping-e70-stereo-dac-review.39188/post-1530061

And next 4 pages

Last edited:
OP
D

DACslut

The standard e70 is cool enough and maybe cooler than the velvet, DO200mk2 and DO300. After reworking all four, I finally left the standard e70 in silver. (SMSL forgot about the most important function which is energy management. It can only pretend to be dead).

Post in thread 'Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ping-e70-stereo-dac-review.39188/post-1530061

And next 4 pages

This is why I went with the E70V instead of E70: (from head-fi.org)

CONCLUSION
This one is easy. The Topping E70V Velvet Edition is one of the best DACs under $500 I have heard. Compared directly to the RME ADI-2 PRO FS R Black Edition DAC that uses the AKM AK4493 DAC, the Topping comes pretty close! No, it doesn't match or beat the RME, but considering the price, it makes the Topping a real winner in its own right.

The question may be for some of you, which version should I get? The E70 for less money, or pay the premium for the E70V? If budget is tight, then I can wholeheartedly recommend the original E70. If you prefer a smooth, laid back sound, that may hide any warts in poorer recordings, I recommend the E70. The DSD performance of the E70 is also excellent, actually I consider DSD playback to be its strength.

But if you can stretch your wallet, my recommendation is get the E70V. In spite of the issue with DSD I highlighted, overall I consider it the better sounding DAC. It is much more true to the source, and will give you its best when you give it a great recording. It may not be as nice to you with poorer recordings, though. It is dynamic, paints a good soundstage, and also is great with micro dynamics and textures. If you listen to DSD, you may find better performance oversampling to a higher rate, or you may find it sounds just fine as it is. The difference is not enough to be a deal breaker when one considers how overall fine the sound is. Highly recommended at this price point. Worth a listen even if you are looking at a higher price point!

MEASUREMENTS
The Topping E70V put simply, measures better than any DAC I have yet had the privilege to evaluate. The SNR, though falling just a bit short of the E70, is still an amazing -127.1db (A). THD exceeds the E70 at -131db, and likewise SINAD is an impressive 121.3db, outpacing the E70 once again. The ESS chipset in the E70 is famed for its jitter rejection. Don't tell that to the new AKM chipset in the E70V, as it equals or even slightly beats the E70 in jitter rejection! Please see the graphs below for more data. Stereo Separation never rises any higher than -123db, 3db better than the E70.

OUR RATING: (0-10 scale. 8 or higher numbers represent best of industry. For the final score calculation, each category is given a (undisclosed) weighting and is tallied for final score. Although perfect 'fairness' is unlikely, our system tries to be as unbiased as possible

sound quality: 8.3
build quality: 9.3
ease of use: 8.8
measurements: 10.0
value: 9

TOTAL RATING: 89.3/ 100

Bassman999

This might be a dumb question to most here.
Can I use the Topping E70(V) or SMSL 200 or 300 as a preamp for a Hypex NCx500, or are those only a headphone DAC pre-amp?

Last edited:

Reynaldo

I still have the DO200MKll, which I'm not using, and I had the VMV D1se2 which is basically the same as the DO300.
The difference is in the power supply.
I consider the DO200MKll to be much better.
VMV D1se2 has a series of bugs even after updating the FW. If you leave it on NOS it is impossible to hear, using DoP DSD256 it plays with a lot of noise, while the DO200MKll works without any problems.
I believe that this new series that came out with the new ESS chip was launched too quickly without proper testing.
After a week I returned the VMV D1se2.

Bassman999

I still have the DO200MKll, which I'm not using, and I had the VMV D1se2 which is basically the same as the DO300.
The difference is in the power supply.
I consider the DO200MKll to be much better.
VMV D1se2 has a series of bugs even after updating the FW. If you leave it on NOS it is impossible to hear, using DoP DSD256 it plays with a lot of noise, while the DO200MKll works without any problems.
I believe that this new series that came out with the new ESS chip was launched too quickly without proper testing.
After a week I returned the VMV D1se2.
What amp(s) are you using with the DAC

Bassman999

Ordered Topping E70 and VTV 2-channel Hypex NCx500.
Excited for them to arrive!
Ill be building another set of speakers too, it will be the first Time I build from a kit though.
HIVI Swans 2.2A, Ill start with the stock crossover and decide if I need to tweak from there after break in and if I like them.

wavetrade

The E70 also has a 12V trigger that will go nicely with the NCX500. I am considering going this route as well.

Bassman999

The E70 also has a 12V trigger that will go nicely with the NCX500. I am considering going this route as well.
Yes I added the 12V trigger option!
Not sure if I could hear the difference between the NORE, NCORE MP, and NCOREx
I wanted the Purifi 7040SA, but I am not a rich person

Top Bottom