• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poor quality theater experiences

Bren Derlin

77" oled is so much better than theater, you can decide on booze, snacks and bathroom breaks. They really have no more reason to exist

Also no morons.
You must have a really crappy neighborhood theater.

We have a 77” OLED. We still go to the movies, as nothing can replace a 30 ft tall and 70 ft wide screen with gobs of surround sound speakers. Our Marcus theater is an exceptional experience every time we’ve been there. Even the small screens, which are 15 to 20 ft high and 30 to 40 ft wide, are outstanding. We went to the opening weekend of Quantumania, and the kids were buzzing about it. The size and scope of the presentation still amazes them.

Yes I still love watching movies on our little system with a 77” OLED - nothing really compares regarding the image quality. And our little 4.1 sound system is perfect for our little space. I’m now at the point I have absolutely zero desire to upgrade anything. …until a 100” OLED comes out, and sells for $4,000. LOL

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen my share of movies in theaters with poor experiences of one kind or another...
ok - I have one... it's the late 80s and I was invited to attend a screening of some soon to be released film on the lot at Paramount Studios and answer questions afterwards... a free movie? - sure - why not?...

upon arriving, I noticed it was full of audio professionals from all over town... mix engineers, composers, film sound editors, sound efx supervisors, studio musicians, etc. - many of the people I knew by sight...

and it was explained to everyone the reels were going to change several times during the screening between two new competing (at that time) surround technologies - some dolby thing/some thx thing - I can't remember exactly - and we would be asked to fill out a questionnaire at the conclusion... still a free movie and I was excited I'd been asked...

I sat down next to an engineer I knew very well, the theater goes dark - and it's a bleeping star trek movie... I tried to pay attention for the first two or three switches, but it was so boring, I fell asleep a few times - and my engineer friend kept nudging me to wake up...

at the end, a moderator stood up and asked multiple questions and we filled out numbered multiple choice answers...

when that was over, the engineer showed me what he'd written in his 'additional comments' at the end of the written questionnaire - which was, "the guy next to me kept falling asleep and snoring - ignore his answers"...

we went out for beers afterward - I paid...

Last edited:

theBruce

I sat down next to an engineer I knew very well, the theater goes dark - and it's a bleeping star trek movie... I tried to pay attention for the first two or three switches, but it was so boring, I fell asleep a few times - and my engineer friend kept nudging me to wake up...
If it was the late 80’s , it would have to been Star Trek V: the Final Frontier (1989), everything about that movie was just wrong.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen my share of movies in theaters with poor experiences of one kind or another. I'll usually complain, and usually get a free ticket to another movie, but that isn't really enough after having made the trip and had a viewing experience ruined. Once I went and the movie was so dark as to be unwatchable. I complained, and was told, "oh yeah, that bulb is shot. We had the replacement arrive this afternoon and it will be right as rain tomorrow." Obviously I said, "maybe I should watch it tomorrow then instead of today." Took the manager a few seconds, but he caught on and comped me a ticket. I've had variations of just the worn out bulb several times over the years. Anyway here is an article and few things to watch out for. One I didn't know was leaving a 3D filter in front of a 2D projection and having a dim image.

For me, movie theaters hold no appeal. Pay ~$50 to get deafened, while the couple sitting behind me squabbles about their domestic disputes, and my shoes get glued to the floor by half-decomposed soft drinks spilled in the past? No thanks.
Every time I've been to one in this century (perhaps two times) I can't help thinking the space would be better used for live music.

Top Bottom