• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On average, How much amperage do headphone amplifiers need ?

LegionOfHell

I want to buy several headphone amplifiers that are powered by DC power supplies because some of them don't come with a power supply and some have crappy power supplies...Therefore, I need to buy a good universal power supply.

I am looking at these two :

(1) https://a.co/d/hJKdDF7 18W (6V 3A), 27W (9V 3A), 36W (12V 3A), 36W (15V 2.4A), 36W (18V 2A), 36W (20V 1.8A), 36W (24V 1.5A) AC/DC adapters

(2) https://a.co/d/aitTUJ9 3V ~ 24V 3A

Are these power supplies any good for audio ? if not, Do you know a better universal power supply ? (around the same price)

On average, How much DC amperage does a headphone amp need max ? Do the above 2 power supplies have enough amperage ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Given you've not said what sort of headphone amps you're planning to buy it's hard to say. Which headphone amps (that need one) don't come with a PSU?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You need to find out the exact DC input voltages and max current ratings of those amps or you are risking getting things fried.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
Have you verified that the amps that don't come with a power supply actually need one and not just a cable?
How do you know the power supplies that are supplied are 'crappy'?
Might help to state the amp models before making assumptions.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

Douk U3 mini <---- doesn't come with a power supply
FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII <---- comes with a crappy power supply ?

For the U3, I have a 19V/4.7A laptop power supply. I also have my old phone charger which is rated 5V/2A, which one should I use to power the unit ?

For FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII , is the included power supply good enough ?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Too many unknown variables...

Headphones themselves normally operate in the milliamp/milliwatt range so depending the the efficiency of the amp and the efficiency/sensitivity of the headphones, 1A should normally be enough to power the amplifier.

Higher impedance headphones tend to need more voltage and less current. (Power is calculated as Voltage x Current.)

Douk U3 mini <---- doesn't come with a power supply
It's weird that they don't tell you what it needs. It's class A so it's inefficient. (Tube amps are also inefficient.)

The website says:
  • Adopting original TI-NE5532 classical op amp and transistor expanding current circuit, using 1300mA large current output transistor working in class A status...
It's not really clear if it it's running at 1300mA or capable of 1300mA, but...

Assuming 1.3A constantly through the output transistor, you probably need at about 2A to run the whole amp and drive the headphones.

FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII <---- comes with a crappy power supply ?

For FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII , is the included power supply good enough ?

The manufacturer should know what it needs. ;)

Top Bottom