• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making the big move - Which of these bad boys; Holo Audio, Weiss, Lampizator

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSoir

Hello folks

So I´m building a serious 2-channel system for a private client and when I was looking for a DAC that I wanted for myself 6months ago, I wanted the Holo Audio May.

I could not audition the May and still can´t but after reading up on reviews it seems like a good DAC that sound more "analog".

I always try and explain the philosophy on having a system that is leaning more towards a neutralsound, not something that makes all material have a sameness over it.

The soundideal for the client is a "Musicality, midrange magic, a big wide and deep soundstage with some 3 dimensionality. Warmth over cold and a welcoming sound that doesn’t hurt his ears with a bright thin sound"

You could never mask a bad recording, but since most CDs out there are mediocre sounding, a DAC that is not overly bright and digital sounding is to prefer.

___

These are the pics I´ve come up to.

HoloAudio May KTE
1680993158387.png

d1-sublime DAC
1680993184124.png

Weiss dac 501
1680993215697.png

Lampizator Horizon DAC
1680993247803.png

We might use a Taiko Extreme server as the source, with FLAC/WAV/DSD64-512 and SACD

All feedback is welcome if you have compared, owned or have experience from any of these.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The soundideal for the client is a "Musicality, midrange magic, a big wide and deep soundstage with some 3 dimensionality. Warmth over cold and a welcoming sound that doesn’t hurt his ears with a bright thin sound"

You could never mask a bad recording, but since most CDs out there are mediocre sounding,

I figure the room acoustics and speaker choice/positioning will account for 95% of your demands, cd quality is perfectly fine.

If it were my choice then go for the HoloAudio setup as i like the styling and remote control, I’m sure it also sounds as transparent as the measurements show

OP
G

GrandSoir

yes, I have a guy who will treat the room offcourse.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello folks

So I´m building a serious 2-channel system for a private client and when I was looking for a DAC that I wanted for myself 6months ago, I wanted the Holo Audio May.

I could not audition the May and still can´t but after reading up on reviews it seems like a good DAC that sound more "analog".

I always try and explain the philosophy on having a system that is leaning more towards a neutralsound, not something that makes all material have a sameness over it.

You could never mask a bad recording, but since most CDs out there are mediocre sounding, a DAC that is not overly bright and digital sounding is to prefer.

___

These are the pics I´ve come up to.

HoloAudio May KTE
View attachment 278007

d1-sublime DAC
View attachment 278008

Weiss dac 501
View attachment 278009

Lampizator Horizon DAC
View attachment 278010

We might use a Taiko Extreme server as the source, with FLAC/WAV/DSD64-512 and SACD

All feedback is welcome if you have compared, owned or have experience from any of these.
You're trolling us, right?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to be buying solely by reputation and looks. Also, you have odd ideas about DACs and their sound signatures. ASR may be a tough place for you ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This had crossed my mind, too.
Crossed mine as well. How can someone come to this site and not read a bit before making such a post.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP, if you want actual technical help, that's one thing. Otherwise, this thread will most likely end up merged with the junk heap thread where everybody worries about what other people think.

duty_calls.png

xeizo

A DAC is not a sound effect, it is meant to be neutral. like a wire. If someone is trying to color final SQ by choice of DAC a lot of things are done wrong.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The snake oil is strong in this one:

$49k!!! Every buzzword must add $1k to the price :D

Overseas

Major Contributor
The client may feel free to dictate his wish to musicians that make the music. It is absurd to let the client think he can dictate any preference in the field of equipment that reproduces the music. And this is coming from a guy that does not buy 100% the rigid ASR approach.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The "unity" architecture gives more presence, more contrast between the timbre of each instrument, more contrast between the size of each instrument, more clarity at the same time as more body and more dynamic, the sound is more realistic and natural giving you more pleasure and no fatigue.

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom